• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Julian Alaphilippe

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How Alien is Julian Alaphilippe?

• Contador/Nibali (almost plausible)

Votes: 45 34.9%
  • Geraint Thomas (pushing it)

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Armstrong/Froome (over the top)

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • Chris Horner (glows in the dark)

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Vino

Votes: 7 5.4%

• Total voters
OK.

This was only the first stage though, so sit tight. We'll see how much the peloton loves him through the next three weeks of racing.

I don't care. I'm done with the Tour this year. I won't be wasting anymore time watching it. There are plenty of other much better uses of my time than watch anymore of this garbage that is the Tour.

Well at least that’s quite straightforward! I like the way the guy rides, and I don’t see where he’s doing anything that anyone else isn’t so he doesn’t bother me, but to each their own for sure.

You're welcome. I don't. I find his riding and his interviews and everything about him to be extremely arrogant. When Roglic got him at the line at LBL was the perfect example of his arrogance.

Not even taking a small peep at the Tour and the lovely French countryside first thing in the morning anymore, are you?

Nope. I don't really care for the French scenery. I can find similar in many parts of NC just without the really old structures. When Valverde got hurt in 2017, I said I was done with the Tour that year the ONLY small thing I watched after that was what got Sagan kicked out of that race, which was stupid. I also stopped watching the 2011 and 2012 Tours long before they were over due to no interest. I haven't watched a flat stage since 2014.

Nope. I don't really care for the French scenery. I can find similar in many parts of NC just without the really old structures. When Valverde got hurt in 2017, I said I was done with the Tour that year the ONLY small thing I watched after that was what got Sagan kicked out of that race, which was stupid. I also stopped watching the 2011 and 2012 Tours long before they were over due to no interest. I haven't watched a flat stage since 2014.
Ok.

You seem to have your very well thought-out reasons, what do you miss most about watching pro cycling?

His arrogance.
France loves his attitude, so that won't go away. IMO the stage ended somewhat weirdly with the GC guys marking each other and MVP hurting from the wreck. DQS came through the crash at 7km to go with a virtual stage win setup. Julian didn't have to fight for wheels....in fact his attack came after his teammate rode in front of him and told him to get on the wheel for the final attack. Alaphilippe's fans are now sure he's the 2nd coming but the conditions set him up very well.

France loves his attitude, so that won't go away. IMO the stage ended somewhat weirdly with the GC guys marking each other and MVP hurting from the wreck. DQS came through the crash at 7km to go with a virtual stage win setup. Julian didn't have to fight for wheels....in fact his attack came after his teammate rode in front of him and told him to get on the wheel for the final attack. Alaphilippe's fans are now sure he's the 2nd coming but the conditions set him up very well.

His doping or you're saying he was literally gifted the win because no one else cared. Either way his win is a full blown disgrace. His attitude is very much extremely arrogant. Then the French love arrogance and it's a great reason to never visit that country. So I guess I will make sure I never bother to go to Paris_Roubaix.

His doping or you're saying he was literally gifted the win because no one else cared. Either way his win is a full blown disgrace. His attitude is very much extremely arrogant. Then the French love arrogance and it's a great reason to never visit that country. So I guess I will make sure I never bother to go to Paris_Roubaix.

There's a very vocal minority (with the media as the main culprits) who're insufferable in this country when their own sportsmen are champions at something. They're also bad losers... but they're worse winners (overstepping the mark into insulting territory). Fortunately I was watching the stage on Eurosport with English commentary & not French public TV (where Alaphilippe's own girlfriend works), because the sycophantic screaming & partisan attitude is a bit "too much".

But, I persist with the fact they're a vocal minority who behave like zealous chauvinistic schoolchildren & most of the French are perfectly amiable when it comes to sport. Although if Alaphilippe really does make a bid for the GC, it'll get worse & worse, i.e. they'll attempt to make life a living hell for his rivals.

Reactions: Koronin
There's a very vocal minority (with the media as the main culprits) who're insufferable in this country when their own sportsmen are champions at something. They're also bad losers... but they're worse winners (overstepping the mark into insulting territory). Fortunately I was watching the stage on Eurosport with English commentary & not French public TV (where Alaphilippe's own girlfriend works), because the sycophantic screaming & partisan attitude is a bit "too much".

But, I persist with the fact they're a vocal minority who behave like zealous chauvinistic schoolchildren & most of the French are perfectly amiable when it comes to sport. Although if Alaphilippe really does make a bid for the GC, it'll get worse & worse, i.e. they'll attempt to make life a living hell for his rivals.

What you're describing would be even worse than listening to Phil and Bob doing a race. That's more than bad enough. They are major "homers" for whomever they like and want to push on the public. Highly annoying at best.

So, whom do you all actually wish to win?

Today's stage or the overall? Of those capable of winning today's stage virtually any of them except the person who won. As for the overall, of those capable of winning and still close enough in time I prefer it not to be Carapaz or Quintana. I don't believe Alaphilippe is capable without a major, major doping program that is at a much higher level than anyone else in the peloton. I'd be surprised if it's not Roglic or Pogacar. I just don't happen to like or dislike either of them. I don't think Enric Mas is capable of winning the Tour. I think his best chance of winning a GT is the Giro. Mas is capable of getting on the podium, but I don't think he's capable of winning the Tour. If I had to pick someone I'd prefer Mas, but it won't happen.

TRENDING THREADS