• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 348 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

yaco said:
Ironhead Slim said:
yaco said:
Benotti69 said:
yaco said:
Kimmage is a bit of a dreamer - Bit rich to expect WT teams to publically criticise Sky, especially seeing half the issue is BC - No way will the sponsors will allow team staff or riders to speak publically - Nice try Kimmage.

Dont shoot Kimmage for being a journalist and doing his job. He aint a dreamer, he is calling it. He is right. No other teams or riders slamming Sky/BC because of omerta.

This is nothing new and neither is Kimmage just starting to bang this drum. He has been banging the drum about teams and riders calling out the cheats since he wrote Rough Ride.

I doubt any expect others to call out Sky as they are doing something similar, but it didn't stop Kittel, Cav, and others calling out Turkish riders or Ricco.

nice try Yaco but fail.

It's irrelevant whether Kimmage has been banging this drum for years - The fact is teams and riders have contractual clauses they must follow - And this will often mean you must be discreet with any public comments - Why did Daniel Benson in his story two days ago fail to name the Sky Rider who asked for Brailsford to stand down ? Why do journalists always use the word 'sources' in their articles ? Kimmage is crying like a baby because no rider/team will give him the 'killer' direct quotes for his articles - I also suggest that Kimmage may not be the first journalist of choice for those in the pro peleton.

You are completely misreading Kimmage. You are really failing at this, as was already pointed out. I also do not think you understand how journalism works. The potential subject of a story (pro peleton) are not the ones to decide who runs the story. We already went through that with Walsh embedded in Sky.

I called out Kimmage for whinging about the lack of public comments from pro riders/teams in regards to the Sky situation - He knows full well as a journalist how the caper works - Why do journalists often write ' n unnamed source' in articles - Why do journalists protect their sources ? Because people are careful what they place on the public record.

So called bang drummer for ages, Yaco is not happy with Kimmage!

Not fooling anyone.

#morefail

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Quote in cyclingnews
Formolo has worked hard on his time trialing with new coach Leonardo Piepoli and finished 16th in the 14.5km time trial at Paris-Nice, only two seconds slower than Yates
Piepoli - the same Piepoli who was banned in the Ricco affair???

One and the same, yes. Wonder what the results might be?

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Quote in cyclingnews
Formolo has worked hard on his time trialing with new coach Leonardo Piepoli and finished 16th in the 14.5km time trial at Paris-Nice, only two seconds slower than Yates
Piepoli also coaches:

* Fabio Felline (Trek)
* Alberto Bettiol (Cannondale)
* Daniel Moreno (Movistar)
* Andrey Amador (Movistar)

fmk_RoI said:
IndianCyclist said:
Quote in cyclingnews
Piepoli also coaches:

* Fabio Felline (Trek)
* Alberto Bettiol (Cannondale)
* Daniel Moreno (Movistar)
* Andrey Amador (Movistar)
Some pretty impressive results there. Kudos to Piepoli

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Quote in cyclingnews

Nothing new about this - Been mentioned in different forms of media - The cycling podcast even interviewed Piepoli 3 days ago - It's like you don't follow cycling.

yaco said:
IndianCyclist said:
Quote in cyclingnews

Nothing new about this - Been mentioned in different forms of media - The cycling podcast even interviewed Piepoli 3 days ago - It's like you don't follow cycling.
Easy now, there's no reason to escalate this into something that it's not.

yaco said:
IndianCyclist said:
Quote in cyclingnews

God, I miss the days when if you talked about doping people would shout at you that it was like you didn't follow cycling, now it's if you don't listen to some podcast or other you're a fake. <sigh>

On the issue of some of JV's riders working with a convicted doper like Trullo Volante, I think the cut-off for JV is about 2011 or 2012, that anything before that you could argue mistakes were made yada yada yada it was the culture of the time blah blah blah. So the real test is whether anyone who's popped a positive post 2011/2012 is working with any of his riders...

Remember: JV has never bought into or promoted the ridiculous ZTP hypocrisy.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
On the issue of some of JV's riders working with a convicted doper like Trullo Volante, I think the cut-off for JV is about 2011 or 2012, that anything before that you could argue mistakes were made yada yada yada it was the culture of the time blah blah blah. So the real test is whether anyone who's popped a positive post 2011/2012 is working with any of his riders...

I seem to remember JV talking about spending big dollars on internal team testing to keep riders on the straight and narrow and i think Don Cailtin was involved.

I also remember he invited Tilford to Denver to check it out.

Then TommyD got popped on USA soil and the myth of a clean team vanished into thin air from whence it came.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
JV looking for more money. Motors and Ketones are expensive it's true.
Ketones aren't illegal, AFAIK, and although motor-pacing can be, cops usually let it slide, and so does the UCI unless someone online sets it to Benny Hill. So not sure what the big deal is, there? I mean JV's always looking to score, a great deal, but that's just who he is.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:

I seem to remember JV talking about spending big dollars on internal team testing to keep riders on the straight and narrow and i think Don Cailtin was involved.

Then TommyD got popped on USA soil and the myth of a clean team vanished into thin air from whence it came.

When you can't win a WT race in two years, even convicted doper is a reasonable option as a coach.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Jancouver said:
Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:

When you can't win a WT race in two years, even convicted doper is a reasonable option as a coach.

JV has no problem with doping. JV has a problem with getting caught doping.

His silence on Dekker's book is par for the course for a guy who has allegedly dedicated his life to anti-doping, but then his silence on Danielson tells all we need to know about JV.

I bet JV's lawyers went through Dekkers book. :lol:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Neal Rogers‏ @nealrogers 18 hours ago

After going 2 years without a WorldTour win, Cannondale-Drapac has now taken stages in California, Giro d’Italia, Tour de France

This is because of more testing and the anti-doping tests really work and it is virtually impossible to dope and not get caught!!!!

:lol:

I got some cure all snakeoil from Denver Colorado, anyone want some? :D

So much to cover.

1) JV and and his French vedette Pierre Rolland are no longer talking
Vaughters did express that his relationship with the team’s star French rider, Pierre Rolland, suffered, due to the Frenchman feeling betrayed by the team’s sudden financial trouble. At the time of the interview, the two were no longer on speaking terms, despite Vaughters doubling as Rolland’s personal coach.
2) The lack of revenue sharing and franchises for life drove JV into the arms of financial doping, aka creative accountancy
Much of that stress seemed to be of Vaughters’s own creation. He’d been relying on some creative accounting — to put it kindly — for the last few years to effectively inflate the team’s budget beyond its actual means. Every team in the WorldTour has a bank guarantee with the UCI, so that if the team folds, salaries continue to be paid for about three months. Slipstream had been leaning on this guarantee, only funding itself through October of each year. If it didn’t find a sponsor by then, it would run out of money and the UCI would pay salaries through the end of the year.
3) Having survived the loss of Unibet before they'd even signed by selling his stake in Slipstream to the Paradise Papers starring tax dodgers at EF Education First, JV and co have now lost HuffPo and co - Oath - as a marquee sponsor
“While we will no longer be working with Slipstream, we wish the Cannondale-Drapac team success for the 2018 season,” said Suzanne Philion, a spokeswoman for Oath, adding the company “remains committed to partnering with global brands to create and deliver innovative content for our users.”
'Tell me son, do you believe in karma?'

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
So much to cover.

1) JV and and his French vedette Pierre Rolland are no longer talking
Vaughters did express that his relationship with the team’s star French rider, Pierre Rolland, suffered, due to the Frenchman feeling betrayed by the team’s sudden financial trouble. At the time of the interview, the two were no longer on speaking terms, despite Vaughters doubling as Rolland’s personal coach.
2) The lack of revenue sharing and franchises for life drove JV into the arms of financial doping, aka creative accountancy
Much of that stress seemed to be of Vaughters’s own creation. He’d been relying on some creative accounting — to put it kindly — for the last few years to effectively inflate the team’s budget beyond its actual means. Every team in the WorldTour has a bank guarantee with the UCI, so that if the team folds, salaries continue to be paid for about three months. Slipstream had been leaning on this guarantee, only funding itself through October of each year. If it didn’t find a sponsor by then, it would run out of money and the UCI would pay salaries through the end of the year.
3) Having survived the loss of Unibet before they'd even signed by selling his stake in Slipstream to the Paradise Papers starring tax dodgers at EF Education First, JV and co have now lost HuffPo and co - Oath - as a marquee sponsor
“While we will no longer be working with Slipstream, we wish the Cannondale-Drapac team success for the 2018 season,” said Suzanne Philion, a spokeswoman for Oath, adding the company “remains committed to partnering with global brands to create and deliver innovative content for our users.”
'Tell me son, do you believe in karma?'

Thanks for this; there was always something very odd in JVs search for sponsors each year. Additionally in May he was writing an Op Ed in the WSJ on a search for additionally sponsorship to “compete on the same level as Sky”. Clearly this was a ruse to meet a “margin call” on funds.

JVs grounding in the Real Estate industry has served him well.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
It's weird that JV/Slipstream Sports has gone through so many sponsors in such a short time. Makes you wonder if it's pro cycling or JV that eventually turns them sour to committing $$$ to the team...

I pick JV

There was a t-shirt doing the rounds amongst former slipstream riders that went something like "Friends dont let friends ride for slipstream".

Says lots.

TRENDING THREADS