• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kasper "The Watt Monster" Asgreen

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I just saw an interview with him conducted by Danish Eurosport. He said that he was a little surprised how far set back he had felt after last season where he had to call it quits early due to chronic fatigue. He said that due to having spent four months without training much, he was starting the preparations for the new season at a level too far below his peers to be able to reach his top level in time. He said that he has been feeling stronger and stronger each week but that Flanders comes too early for him to be able to follow the attacks of the three big ones. He also said that he doesn't rule out winning given that he isn't the worst rider in the bunch but that it would have to rely a lot more on luck and suitable racing situations than what happened in 2021. He expects and hopes to reach his full strength later in the season but doesn't specify where he will put that to use (I'm going to take a guess at Glasgow).

Good race by Kasper yesterday, good to see him race at the front again. Looked like he did most of the hard work in that elite group, at the front on every hill pushing it hard.

Hopefully we see him again in Roubaix, but for some reason that race has never worked out for him yet.
Not sure where else we can expect him this year... not many goals left.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Good race by Kasper yesterday, good to see him race at the front again. Looked like he did most of the hard work in that elite group, at the front on every hill pushing it hard.

Hopefully we see him again in Roubaix, but for some reason that race has never worked out for him yet.
Not sure where else we can expect him this year... not many goals left.

He's only done PR twice.

In 2019 (his rookie season on the WT) he rode as a Dom for Gilbert.

In 2021 he was with the favourites entering Arenberg, but got two punctures in a row (the second when he was on his way back to the group on his reserve bike, but got clipped by a car).

It is definitely a race he is a potential winner of, when he is in his peak condition.

He's only done PR twice.

In 2021 he was with the favourites entering Arenberg, but got two punctures in a row (the second when he was on his way back to the group on his reserve bike, but got clipped by a car).

It is definitely a race he is a potential winner of, when he is in his peak condition.

Wasn't he there last year as well? But crashed iirc.

Reactions: Boehmand
He expects and hopes to reach his full strength later in the season but doesn't specify where he will put that to use (I'm going to take a guess at Glasgow).

We can guess, he can guess.
And I think his honest answer calls for respect without any further speculations

The fact is that neither we nor he himself knows whether he'll be able to return to same levels as before, like "at all"

This I write in hindsight of personal experiences, first getting struck by too high work load, then unfortunately getting struck by Covid-19, and then now next couple of years with a strange rollercoaster of good days and bad days, most prominent when being on my bike, seems 15% off to max performance/FTP, but then one half-good training day in maybe ten where I'm able to semi-attack maybe first 3-4 Strava climb seccion PR's out of e.g. 10 hilly climbs, where another day I'm just totally off though good sleep, healthy food, no stress related things at work and so on.

I think that's the main reason why I've had zero expectations for Kasper Asgreen since his severe setback.

To me his last couple of weeks progress just comes as a very pleasant surprise. But still with the dark thoughts in my backhead that he could be reduced to a secondary role at his team or worse things.

But what a mental boost E3 and RvV must have been to him.

Last edited:
He's only done PR twice.

I really liked what I saw of him at De Ronde; for some guys that week between De Ronde and Roubaix really has a big impact in form and I think Kasper is going to be one of those guys. I don't know if we're going to see him at his very best but I think he is going to be very very good and it won't shock me to see him in the top 5 coming into the Carrefoure de l'Arbre. After that it's anyone's guess but I believe a podium is within reach for him.

Apparently, you bear some similarities with a former member of this forum, who was known for wildly hyping Danes.

Weird, I couldn't see the post, but might be someone I blocked for being toxic, which was apparently a good idea, in this day and age where conspiracy theories have become mainstream entertainment.

As for hyping Danes, I'm all for it, being Danish myself - so Asgreen is going to win Roubaix, beating Pedersen in a heads up sprint, with Kragh in 3rd and Bjerg in 4th :p

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Not to go too much into conspiracy theories - you know, accusing someone of being a sock-puppet - but it would also fit with that guy's absolute refusal to write æ, ø, or å.

Just for the record; I don't actually believe boehmand is brocolidwarf.

I can understand the æ and ø, those are just weird letters. But å should be perfectly fine, just like ä and ö ;-)

But anyway, Asgreen to win Roubaix!

that guy's absolute refusal to write æ, ø, or å.
Hmm, seems familiar.
Actually the Danish letter "ø" translates into "oe" in English, so the correct English spelling of his name is "Moerkoev" :cool:
"Oe" is the proper way to translate the Danish letter "Ø" - that is an indisputable fact and thus not debatable.

If you wish to debate it none the less, fell free to PM me, rather than polluting the thread with it :)