• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kasper "The Watt Monster" Asgreen

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The question is whether not doing so makes him a "dumbass" and an "idiot".
That depends on the context. Most people here would say no, and many people here would say yes in case he'd lost the sprint. When i said he was a dumbass, you should not read into that. It was simply an expression of disbelief at the time. My 5 year older brother is one of the smartest people i know, yet i have called him a dumbass countless times. It was in no way meant as an insult or in a demeaning way, even if it might have come across as such. I have great respect for Kasper as a rider, and he's one of the riders i enjoy watching most in the current peloton. I think he made a tactical mistake that could have cost him the biggest win of his career. From my perspective, it was warranted, but then again, i'm the only one who knows it wasn't meant to assess his intelligence. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but not often a day goes by where nothing happens that i don't call myself a dumbass. No need to read into it.

I suspect he would move to another team. maybe Ineos, JV or Lotto, Trek. He might be a very good fit for WVA including in the sprints and climbs
He's currently a perfect fit for DQT. He's too good to dom for another classic rider (Wout, Mathieu)... why would he, in certain races he's proven to be stronger, maybe a bit less consistent at times. I don't think he could do what Wout does, be great at almost anything all year through, but he most certainly will be stronger in a number of races... like sunday. And i think with his skillset, he is perfectly compatible with guys like Alaphilippe and others at DQT. I also think he's higher in the pecking order than Lampaert and Sénéchal, and if he wasn't already, he will be after sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ktarie
That depends on the context. Most people here would say no, and many people here would say yes in case he'd lost the sprint. When i said he was a dumbass, you should not read into that. It was simply an expression of disbelief at the time. My 5 year older brother is one of the smartest people i know, yet i have called him a dumbass countless times. It was in no way meant as an insult or in a demeaning way, even if it might have come across as such. I have great respect for Kasper as a rider, and he's one of the riders i enjoy watching most in the current peloton. I think he made a tactical mistake that could have cost him the biggest win of his career. From my perspective, it was warranted, but then again, i'm the only one who knows it wasn't meant to assess his intelligence. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but not often a day goes by where nothing happens that i don't call myself a dumbass. No need to read into it.
Fair enough, no worries :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Weekly Danish cycling show "Radio Tour" was on tonight.

Brian Holm said he had spoken to Asgreen after the win, to ask him if he shifted up a gear, as he came alongside MvdP in the sprint.

Asgreen confirmed it.

Holm went on to explain, that if you watch the sprint again, you can see the moment after Asgreen flicks the lever, is when MvdP broke - the sound of the upshift did it.

It's funny how he was suffering on Koppenberg but was literally the strongest on Kwaremont. The whole power-to-weight ratio is a serious thing.

He should try Amstel Gold Race. Geulhemmerweg , Bemelerberg and Cauberg suits him. He should also be a candidate for the Worlds in 2021.
VDP was the strongest on the Kwaremont. Watch it again plz ;)
As green was momentarily dropped there and rejoined on the asphalt.

Maybe you're confused with the Taaienberg where they both came to the top side by side?

Reactions: SafeBet
It's funny how he was suffering on Koppenberg but was literally the strongest on Kwaremont. The whole power-to-weight ratio is a serious thing.

He should try Amstel Gold Race. Geulhemmerweg , Bemelerberg and Cauberg suits him. He should also be a candidate for the Worlds in 2021.
Geulhemmer and Bemeler are glorified false flats anyway. Either you can deal with the cumulative climbing and Keutenberg/Eyserbosweg or you can't

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
Why on Earth would he want to team up with Wout? Maybe the one WT team where he wouldn't necessarily become top dog in the classics...
i don't understand. JV is the team where he wont be top dog, probably 2nd among equals.
While DQS fits him to a tee, they are going the Evenepoel way and once he shows that he will win a GT, they will have to hire some good climbers. You cant win a GT with classics riders. They would not want to repeat the Uran mistake.

i don't understand. JV is the team where he wont be top dog, probably 2nd among equals.
While DQS fits him to a tee, they are going the Evenepoel way and once he shows that he will win a GT, they will have to hire some good climbers. You cant win a GT with classics riders. They would not want to repeat the Uran mistake.
Then what is van Aert doing at Jumbo?

If you check Tour of California 2019, you'll see Asgreen isn't only fast in a sprint, but also has quite a knack when it comes to climbing. DQT doesn't "have" to use him to drive the peloton all day. They could use him the same way van Aert is used at Jumbo. While i don't think Asgreen is quite as good a sprinter, TT'er or climber as van Aert, i think he has the potential to come reasonably close where it matters, and i think Asgreen is a better rouleur than van Aert. You can't win a GT with a team of only skinny little climbers. Asgreen could fit perfectly in a GC oriented team. The main question is, does he want to or does he want to ride GT's for stagehunting? Because unlike van Aert, i don't see him combine both as easily (i can't see him win bunch sprints or TT's like van Aert can). But i guess that's up to him, yet i'm quite confident he could be a huge asset in a GC team. Asgreen could be just as useful as Cancellara was, he doesn't have to be useless as Boonen was (in this context).

Reactions: Andy262
Definitely. Asgreen fits very well on a team that’s trying to win a grand tour. I would assume he would be on the Tour de France squad on almost any team, maybe except Jumbo-Visma who already have Van Aert for the “all-rounder strong guy” role, that has a contender for the overall gc. Asgreen is also very good at manuevering around the peloton and a good descender which is not unimportant for this role.
Of course it would come down to if he would accept riding a grand tour without personal goals, but Asgreen is not a particularly selfish rider, quite the opposite in fact, so I cannot see him have a problem with this. I think he will go a long way to stay at Quickstep if the team can get their money right.

Definitely. Asgreen fits very well on a team that’s trying to win a grand tour. I would assume he would be on the Tour de France squad on almost any team, maybe except Jumbo-Visma who already have Van Aert for the “all-rounder strong guy” role, that has a contender for the overall gc. Asgreen is also very good at manuevering around the peloton and a good descender which is not unimportant for this role.
Of course it would come down to if he would accept riding a grand tour without personal goals, but Asgreen is not a particularly selfish rider, quite the opposite in fact, so I cannot see him have a problem with this. I think he will go a long way to stay at Quickstep if the team can get their money right.

I do not see Asgreen leave DQ, I think he will sign a new contract with them.

But if he was to leave, I could see UAE being a clear favorite.

They need a new cobbles captain, as Kristoff is past his prime.
They have a GT favorite for the next 10 years.
They have deeper pockets than Lefevre - deeper than anyone except Ineos.
Pieper is trying to build a "wolf pack" type mentality in the team.

Reactions: Eeslliw
Another couple of Asgreen anecdotes from Brian Holm, in the weekly Danish cycling show "Radio Tour":

First:

He said that at DQ training camps, when they are doing long rides (200-250 K), Asgreen doesn't ride with the group, taking turns.

Instead he insists on riding 200 metres behind the group, all day, so that he is constantly in the wind.

Second:

After Omloop (which Ballerini won), Holm asked Asgreen about the run in to the finish, wondering why there didn't seem to be much fight for position, while Asgreen was pulling the peloton.

Asgreen replied (drily): "When you are doing 900 watts, nobody is passing".

:p

Last edited:
I think this is good for both parties.

I'm kinda on the fence about it.

I love the way DQ races, the whole wolfpack thing is both entertaining and effective, and clearly he is successful in that environment.

However, it would be cool to see Asgreen as an outright captain, in 1 day races and stage races without too many big mountains, with a team dedicated to supporting his exploits.

He would lose as much as he would gain. This is exactly what people thought about Jungels or Terpstra just to name two. Look at van Aert, is he so much better off at Jumbo? His team more often than not doesn't cut it, and he is forced to do the work himself with 50k to go. It has cost him multiple wins already this year. At Quickstep, the idea is that when there is someone in every break, group or bunch, then nobody has to work anywhere. The guy in front doesn't have to work because the group chasing them contains a co-leader. The co-leader in the chasing group doesn't have to work, because he has a man in front who can finish it off. The guys in the peloton don't have to do anything, because they have two guys up the road. And in the final, if race dynamics change, if everything comes back together, they are fresh and in control. If it doesn't come back together, the guy in front is fresh and capable to finish it off. Now let Asgreen go to a team were as soon as he gets isolated, everybody will say "ok Kasper, this is your job, you do it". At quickstep, his chances of being the guy in the right spot at the right time are smaller, but when you are the guy in the right spot at the right time (when it's your turn), your chances of success are simply a lot higher.

Also Lefevere isn't an idiot. He gave Lampaert captain status two or three years ago, with the paycheck that comes with it. Lampaert clearly hasn't delivered and it's clear Asgreen has outgrown him. You can't believe Asgreen's status within the team is still that of the errand boy that will be used for the dirty work. For the cobbled classics, he will start with at least the same status as Alaphilippe, likely even above him. Ardennes classics will be for Alaphilippe and Evenepoel. And Kasper will profit from a strong team with decoys that he can use as scapegoat: "not my job to chase, i've got a guy up the road". And that line simply doesn't work when your "guy up the road" happens to be a 2nd tier domestique at Groupama FDJ. But it does work when that's Lampaert or Stybar.

Reactions: Akuryo
He would lose as much as he would gain. This is exactly what people thought about Jungels or Terpstra just to name two. Look at van Aert, is he so much better off at Jumbo? His team more often than not doesn't cut it, and he is forced to do the work himself with 50k to go. It has cost him multiple wins already this year. At Quickstep, the idea is that when there is someone in every break, group or bunch, then nobody has to work anywhere. The guy in front doesn't have to work because the group chasing them contains a co-leader. The co-leader in the chasing group doesn't have to work, because he has a man in front who can finish it off. The guys in the peloton don't have to do anything, because they have two guys up the road. And in the final, if race dynamics change, if everything comes back together, they are fresh and in control. If it doesn't come back together, the guy in front is fresh and capable to finish it off. Now let Asgreen go to a team were as soon as he gets isolated, everybody will say "ok Kasper, this is your job, you do it". At quickstep, his chances of being the guy in the right spot at the right time are smaller, but when you are the guy in the right spot at the right time (when it's your turn), your chances of success are simply a lot higher.

Also Lefevere isn't an idiot. He gave Lampaert captain status two or three years ago, with the paycheck that comes with it. Lampaert clearly hasn't delivered and it's clear Asgreen has outgrown him. You can't believe Asgreen's status within the team is still that of the errand boy that will be used for the dirty work. For the cobbled classics, he will start with at least the same status as Alaphilippe, likely even above him. Ardennes classics will be for Alaphilippe and Evenepoel. And Kasper will profit from a strong team with decoys that he can use as scapegoat: "not my job to chase, i've got a guy up the road". And that line simply doesn't work when your "guy up the road" happens to be a 2nd tier domestique at Groupama FDJ. But it does work when that's Lampaert or Stybar.

For cobbled classics I agree with you, he profits a lot from riding on DQ.

However, there is a lot of races where Asgreen could conceivably get results, but doesn't because Alaphilippe is there, and he has thus far been sacrificed for him (and yeah, Alahpilippe returns the favor on cobbles, he is a rider I like a lot and clearly has a great friendship with Asgreen).

I see him as a very similar rider to MvdP - a little slower on the line, a little stronger at distance, but he could contest the same races, in much the same way.

That being said, it may all be a moot point, because as you say his new deal may well have given him a captaincy.

And in all this, we are forgetting what Evenepoel can do in 1 day races, when he is back to full strength :p

For cobbled classics I agree with you, he profits a lot from riding on DQ.

However, there is a lot of races where Asgreen could conceivably get results, but doesn't because Alaphilippe is there, and he has thus far been sacrificed for him (and yeah, Alahpilippe returns the favor on cobbles, he is a rider I like a lot and clearly has a great friendship with Asgreen).

I see him as a very similar rider to MvdP - a little slower on the line, a little stronger at distance, but he could contest the same races, in much the same way.

That being said, it may all be a moot point, because as you say his new deal may well have given him a captaincy.

And in all this, we are forgetting what Evenepoel can do in 1 day races, when he is back to full strength :p
How is that in question, after winning E3 and Flanders, right before signing a new 3 year deal. Ofcourse he's a team captain. Assuming otherwise is insinuating he is re-tarded.