• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Keep your junk warm in winter

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Never heard of anyone who had frostbite down there ouch!!! they would have to give it the chop!!!!

Well I would have laughed this one off, but for last Sunday. Just two of us were out, it was around -2, but with significant windchill. My hands and feet were burning with cold for the first 30 minutes, then warmed up, however I then started to get a burning sensation from ahem the crotch area! I was wrapped up well, merino wool base and intermediate layers, cold weather gloves, roubaix fabric tights, neoprene overshoes, just needed a bit more protection in the nether regions.

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
photo4.jpg

Get an MTB, go offroad, wear hiking clothes. It's still cycling. Last Sunday, 8 miles and a lot of laughs in 2 hours. No cold extremities.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Mister Crud said:
photo4.jpg

Get an MTB, go offroad, wear hiking clothes. It's still cycling. Last Sunday, 8 miles and a lot of laughs in 2 hours. No cold extremities.

And my friends wondered why I gave up winters in the Okanagan for the Gold Coast, Australia.... budgie smugglers, check... surfboard, check...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
LOLZ. From all the technology claims, you would think they had invented a spacesuit instead of a sock.

http://thermajock.com/

I didn't see it anywhere on their website so I assume "Keep your junk warm in the winter" is your title. Well played :D

FWIW I've skied in some pretty cold temps and my fingers and toes have gotten really really cold, miserably cold even. And not once can I remember my "junk" being cold. For the life of me I can't see this as the next big thing...

How long 'fore this thread is closed?

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
I have long carried an extra glove liner in my jersey/jacket pocket when I go out in very cold temps. When things really get dire, just stuff the liner down there as needed. Sure, it interferes with the fit of your tights and chamois a bit, but it works when needed.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
S2Sturges said:
And my friends wondered why I gave up winters in the Okanagan...
Man that's the best time to be here. Mild temps, plenty of snow on the hills, and all the Albertans have gone home.

flyor64 said:
...FWIW I've skied in some pretty cold temps and my fingers and toes have gotten really really cold, miserably cold even. And not once can I remember my "junk" being cold. For the life of me I can't see this as the next big thing...
Same here. I've cycled in some stupidly cold temps and the core and the boys stayed warm. Fingers and toes however...

TRENDING THREADS