• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

King of The Mountains Tittle

Who do you think will win the Podka Dot Jersey

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
King of The Mountains Title

Here are the odds:

David Moncoutie 13/5 5/2 7.50
Alberto Contador 13/2 14 12.00
Andy Schleck 11 19.00
Robert Gesink 18 16 19.00
Frank Schleck 18 19 19.00
Christophe Moreau 18 21.00
Sylvain Chavanel 20 20 26.00
Igor Anton 25 29 26.00
Carlos Sastre 25 29 26.00
Franco Pellizotti 33 21 34.00
Thomas Voeckler 33

Personally I like Moncoutie, but anything can happen. In the past this Jersey has been won by accident by one of the top contenders. Can it be the case this year?

Just so you know, Di Gregorio wasn't selected for FDJ's Tour squad.

I'm going with Igor Anton. With Sammy Sanchez not on the Euskatel Euskadi roster he should have free reign to pursue his own interests along with Mikel Astarloza. He'll lose time in all the time trials so he won't be thought of as a threat and he's not likely to be able to keep up with the elite climbers on the final climbs.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
why is this even a jersey anymore? the yellow jersey represents the best racer, the green jersey normally represents the best sprinter (to finish) but does anyone really believe that richard virenque is the best pure climber of the last 20 years? no.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
ilillillli said:
why is this even a jersey anymore? the yellow jersey represents the best racer, the green jersey normally represents the best sprinter (to finish) but does anyone really believe that richard virenque is the best pure climber of the last 20 years? no.

Uhhhh....What?

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
fair points ilillillli which i agree with. anyone know how to best reflect who's the best climber? what can be done with the points system etc?

btw i voted 'other' as in gesink. he should be right near the top :eek: in this competition

ilillillli said:

How about not giving points for 3rd and 4th cat climbs, then you would get a worthy mountains winner?

ruamruam

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Uhhhh....What?

good, coherent response. very smart. thanks for that. i'm just saying, the other two jerseys go to the rider that most deserves them, but the polka dot jersey just goes to some fairly random dude that hits the right checkpoints. i think it rarely goes to the rider who is truly the best climber. you know who was the best climber in 2007? it sure as heck wasn't mauricio soler.

but thanks for you effort and your brilliant reply.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
ruamruam said:
How about not giving points for 3rd and 4th cat climbs, then you would get a worthy mountains winner?

ruamruam

it's a good idea, but i think it's always going to be an intermediate sprint points jersey. a guy that rides a long break on a hilly stage but then bonks on the last climb and loses several minutes is still going to get mountain points, but is certainly not the best climber. the best climbers are the contenders that stay in the peloton and don't worry about the breaks until late in the stage.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
ilillillli said:
good, coherent response. very smart. thanks for that. i'm just saying, the other two jerseys go to the rider that most deserves them, but the polka dot jersey just goes to some fairly random dude that hits the right checkpoints. i think it rarely goes to the rider who is truly the best climber. you know who was the best climber in 2007? it sure as heck wasn't mauricio soler.

but thanks for you effort and your brilliant reply.

Jesus..Relax! Don't be so jumpy.;) I agree with you. You just kinda threw me for a loop with: "why is this even a jersey anymore?"

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'd say Sylvain Chavanel pulls off one great stage in an escape group, gets an estimated 200 points at once and holds on to it til the end. Other than that what about Tony Martin? Seems to be his favourite jersey, he won it at Paris-Nice and the Tour de Suisse.

ilillillli said:

Please lets not turn this into another doping thread, but doesn't the argument fall down, after Virenque?
After Dickie won his seventh, Michael Rasmussen appeared to take the jersey, twice.
2007 after battling with this year's favourite, finally dropped him on the L'Aubisque to secure yellow, before getting pulled.

As for the Green jersey.
Even Sean Kelly and Erik Zabel, in '98 and '99 took the title......without ever winning a stage.

Anyhow, KOM, I'd love David Moncoutie to take it. Boy done good on the Dauphine Queen stage. Certain to be away in them thar hills, but, I suspect it will end up with a favourite.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
I'd say Sylvain Chavanel pulls off one great stage in an escape group, gets an estimated 200 points at once and holds on to it til the end. Other than that what about Tony Martin? Seems to be his favourite jersey, he won it at Paris-Nice and the Tour de Suisse.

That's who I'm going with.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Please lets not turn this into another doping thread, but doesn't the argument fall down, after Virenque?
After Dickie won his seventh, Michael Rasmussen appeared to take the jersey, twice.

i never said anything about doping. i guess you see what you want to see. also, like i said, mauricio soler owns a polka dot jersey. contador doesn't. sastre doesn't. that seems to speak for itself.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Jesus..Relax! Don't be so jumpy.;) I agree with you. You just kinda threw me for a loop with: "why is this even a jersey anymore?"

sorry for being "jumpy." it was little difficult to know what you meant by "uhhhhh... what?"

ilillillli said:
i never said anything about doping. i guess you see what you want to see. also, like i said, mauricio soler owns a polka dot jersey. contador doesn't. sastre doesn't. that seems to speak for itself.

No. I did imply that you had, but I though others might jump upon me, for using him to highlight my point.
As for Contador, well that has to do with Rasmussen in the above post, surely?
Sastre? It was always going to be all or nothing.
What of my Green jersey observation?
Doesn't the best sprinter have to be the fastest, or do you take it to mean most consistent?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit, I really like Virenque, his victory in front of Armstrong on the Ventoux was amazing, and his comment afterwards saying how Lance really put "fire on his ****" was funny. I think the polka dot jersey is great, I'd be sad if they din't include it anymore. One could say though that Bernhard Kohl was the best climber last year BUT we're not turning this one into a doping thread, so forget I even said anything!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:

Yeah, but the year Soler won the KOM, Contador was focusing on winning the Yellow jersey. He placed 2nd in the KOM comp.

TRENDING THREADS