• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kirchen has heart attack

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Get well soon Kirchen.
Conflicting messages though, Cycling news says heart attack, CQ ranking says Not a heart attack, but respiratory problems and that he was in a coma.

Either way, this is bad news.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Sporza says this -
Luxembourgian Kim Kirchen was taken to hospital Friday night. Kirchen suffered from respiratory problems, probably due to a problem with his heart.

Katusha teamleader Bart Leysen explained to Sporza what's going on. "Kirchen was taken to hospital out of precaution. He is conscious and everything is under control. He did not have a heart attack."

"Kim's heartmuscle was operated on early in the spring. He was suffering from Cardiac dysrhythmia at the time. Maybe yesterday's troubles are related to that surgery".

In 2008 Kirchen - who's 31 years old now - won the Flèche Wallonne. Last year he was victorious in the seventh stage of the Tour de Suisse.

Get well soon, Kim!

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Thy will soon fix him up Heart attack or not he is fit and only a spring chicken

Get well soon.

My mate had a heart attack a few weks ago so I gave him an asprin and called an ambulance the asprin to thin his blood after a ride.

He is OK now and will be riding again soon with three unblocked arteries two stents in arteries so he is ok for another 10 years.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
GodSpeed

Lets hope it was more hydration and fatigue related to low blood pressure and not some sort of arrhythmia or electrical issue

Boeing said:
GodSpeed

Lets hope it was more hydration and fatigue related to low blood pressure and not some sort of arrhythmia or electrical issue

I have an arrhythmia which is exacerbated by all of the above (poor hydration, fatigue, stress, lbp, etc.).

Initially a surgery was investigated in my case, but it turned out that my particular type of arrhythmia did not require it. Other types can be far more serious.

Hope he recovers enough to continue riding soon. Nothing more frustrating than having your main exercise outlet taken away.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
it's sad....this variety of cycling strains the heart incredibly...any time i hear of a cyclist with heart issues, i think of myocardial hypertrophy...but in this casse if he already had surgery for an arhythmia, i suspect that his sinoatrial node was being over-ridden by an ectopic focus...perhaps wolf-parkinson white syndrome...at any rate, the best to him...

TRENDING THREADS