• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kittel

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Eli said:
Why is Kittel not good at one day races? For someone of His physique and stature, He should be really good at them a la Tommeke or spartacus.
He probably could be pretty decent if he trained for them; but then he wouldn't be the fastest sprinter in the world. He'd probably end up the same speed as Degenkolb or Kristoff. And being the fast sprinter in the world gets you a much bigger contract than placing pretty high in a few classics.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
kittel is almost a track sprinter. he doesn't have any type of endurance. he can't even survive to cipressa, how the hell would he be able to contest paris roubaix or ronde?

Re:

portugal11 said:
kittel is almost a track sprinter. he doesn't have any type of endurance. he can't even survive to cipressa, how the hell would he be able to contest paris roubaix or ronde?

He’s a former junior world ITT champion, multiple u23 German ITT champion who made the u23 world ITT podium. He clearly did have some type of endurance before he abandoned endurance focused training for speed focused training. Of course you can’t assume that an excellent junior and espoir TTist will make an excellent classics rider, but they will probably be at least semi decent at it if they can learn to handle cobbles. Kittel however had more lucrative options available than being one of a large number of aspirant TT/classics guys, most of whom never get close to a big win.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Eli said:
Why is Kittel not good at one day races? For someone of His physique and stature, He should be really good at them a la Tommeke or spartacus.
He probably could be pretty decent if he trained for them; but then he wouldn't be the fastest sprinter in the world. He'd probably end up the same speed as Degenkolb or Kristoff. And being the fast sprinter in the world gets you a much bigger contract than placing pretty high in a few classics.

Very good points made there especially the "Being the world's best sprinter gets you a bigger contract" bit. I just would like to see Him try the classics as I think He has it in Him to do well.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Katusha DS Konyshev on Kittel: "We're paying him a lot but he's only interested in himself. Before the Cholet TTT, he played with his phone during the briefing to make me realise I didn't have his attention"

You have to question the ambition, if not the sanity, of any rider signing for Katusha. Sure, you get a pay rise, but the team has been an unmitigated disaster for over two years now. Looks like too many bad eggs, both racing and behind the scenes.

From an Équipe interview with Dimitri Konshev:

Aujourd’hui, il dirige chez Katusha, son poulain Ilnur Zakarin et Marcel Kittel qu’il « n’a pas choisi » et trouve «égoiste » : « On le paye cher mais il ne s’intéresse qu’a lui. A Cholet avant le chrono par équipes, il jouait avec son téléphone pendant le briefing pour me faire comprendre que je ne l’intéressais pas... »

Then again, why signing for Katusha in the first place? Great team to earn money, bad team to win races. Kittel's choice.

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
https://sporza.be/nl/2019/04/10/facebook-live-met-jurgen-vdb/

Jurgen van den Broeck questions Kittel's attitude/professionality and claims that Kittel drinks too much beer and wine. Hard to argue with that after another abysmal performance yesterday.

Will he ever come back to his former level? Somehow I doubt that very much.

It's probably true but doesn't it seem a bit arbitrary that we get Van Den Broeck's take on this matter? Unless he is a pundit on Belgian TV of course.

He hasn't been teammates with Kittel.

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
https://sporza.be/nl/2019/04/10/facebook-live-met-jurgen-vdb/

Jurgen van den Broeck questions Kittel's attitude/professionality and claims that Kittel drinks too much beer and wine. Hard to argue with that after another abysmal performance yesterday.

Will he ever come back to his former level? Somehow I doubt that very much.
QS will sign him for next year and he will come back winning everything

I can't really speak about the beer and wine but it clearly looks like he skips a few endurance training rides. Endurance was never great but it has been deteriorating in the last few years and without that he can't really apply his sprint unless tgere is a very slow race

TRENDING THREADS