• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kreuziger going down?

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
"Tinkoff-Saxo (TCS) has been notified by our rider Roman Kreuziger that the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) is likely due to instigate disciplinary proceedings against him arising from an alleged violation of its anti-doping rules due to abnormalities detected in his Biological Passport in 2011 and 2012.

Roman Kreuziger issued a press release earlier in the day to explain the position.

According to the UCI’s Cycling Anti-Doping Foundation (CAFD) its Experts Panel has concluded that Roman Kreuziger’s blood passport profile shows abnormalities established from March 2011 until August 2011 as well as from April 2012 until the end of the 2012 Giro d’Italia, periods prior to the rider signing with TCS.

The rider received notice from the UCI that CAFD regarded his data as suspect by a letter dated 28 June 2013. The notice provided him with the opportunity of explaining the alleged irregularities in his passport to CAFD and UCI.

He offered the explanation, based on two medical expert opinions independently of each other, that the fluctuations in his blood passport profile were not abnormalities and did not indicate anti-doping violations, which was submitted to the UCI by 3 October 2013.

The rider had no further contact with the UCI until receiving a letter of 30 May 2014. He was advised that the CAFD’s Experts Panel did not accept his explanation.

Since Roman Kreuziger received the UCI’s letter of 30 May he has sought the services of a third independent expert. This scientist has now provided a preliminary report in which he concludes that the fluctuations in his Biological Passport profile are not irregularities which can only be explained with the use of doping methods or substances (as alleged) and that the conclusions of CAFD’s Experts Panel have limited scientific supporting evidence.

When Roman Kreuziger received the first notice by the end of June 2013, he promptly informed the team about the letter. He was adamant that he never used doping methods or substances. Through our own medical staff and independent verification the team was satisfied that Roman’s blood profile had valid medical and scientific explanations other than the use of doping methods or substances. This was subsequently confirmed by the expert opinions Roman shared with the team.

Roman Kreuziger continues to deny any wrongdoing and has informed the team that he intends to defend himself against the charges.

The team has decided, in agreement with Roman, that he will not ride in any races including this year’s Tour de France until more information becomes available to the team.

Though he won’t be racing for now, until more information becomes available to the team it will not provisionally suspend Roman unless required by the UCI or the Czech Federation.

At this stage, the team has no further details to add until the initial process is concluded."

the sceptic said:
the timing is what gets me. Right before the tour the UCI decides to "investigate" his passport? bs.

Gotta love the UCI.

Quick to defend Cortisone Chris but in the background they are sending letters to the K-man about doping in 2011! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Rogers gets off because.... (He speaks English?)

How does this all work?? :confused:

Some people talk about 2011-2012 like it was ages ago. Screw that.
the sceptic said:
the timing is what gets me. Right before the tour the UCI decides to "investigate" his passport? bs.
Apparently the UCI decided to investigate at some point before June 28 2013. I'm curious about what changed now to make Tinkoff stop him from racing, considering he has raced quite a bit after being notified (including last year's Tour).

edit: nevermind:
The rider had no further contact with the UCI until receiving a letter of 30 May 2014. He was advised that the CAFD’s Experts Panel did not accept his explanation.
He still started and finished at Suisse though.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Gotta love the UCI.

Quick to defend Cortisone Chris but in the background they are sending letters to the K-man about doping in 2011! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Rogers gets off because.... (He speaks English?)

How does this all work?? :confused:

Rogers knew too many things about sky perhaps? Better treat him nicely.

This is just the Armstrong era all over again. the UCI sends a warning to Tinkoff to slow down, and Froome wins another tour.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
the sceptic said:
It's quite strange that it is happening right now, just before the Tour. On the other hand, the chance of being Kreuziger is clean is very small.

Should we tweet UCI?

the sceptic said:

This is just the Armstrong era all over again. the UCI sends a warning to Tinkoff to slow down, and Froome wins another tour.
Except Kreuziger got his first letter over a year ago, when Contador was crap.

Not everything is a sign that Sky get preferential treatment. In particular, Rogers dodging a suspension should never be seen as a sign of anything, no more than the sun rising every day.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Whilst I'm happy that another dodgy rider is going to be hopefully on vacation, the timeline on this just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

But it's great to have a doping story just in time for the 'biggest' bike race of the year.:)

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
the sceptic said:

THIS. I feel like the timing is waaay too suspicious. Maybe thats my cynicism coming out, but when Kreuziger is a known super domestique for Contador and absolutely flying and gets hit with a letter like this from 2011 a couple of weeks before the tour is sketchy as s***. It's not like Tinkoff have the depth that Sky have, they can't just take Kreuziger out and replace him with a rider like Nieve, Henao, etc

Sure they still have Roche and Porte, but Kreuziger was going to be a key part of the lineup. F*** you UCI, this stinks of bias.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
This didn't happen.

I know there are a lot of dates floating around but take a deep breath and read them and it'll make sense.

I get it now.. still weird though... He's raced all season and now he is excluded? Does that mean the UCI are moving ahead to discipline him?

TRENDING THREADS