• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Flèche Wallonne: September 30th, 2020

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win La Flèche Wallonne 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We do the same dance every year I'm afraid, 'maybe this is the year it finally works.'

It's why I hate the race, it never works.

It's also why Betancur's dart off the front was probably the most animated I've ever been in a race, and why we all still talk about it, that look around at 500 metres and seeing nobody chasing had me on my feet, awesome stuff, full panache.

I'll still be tuning in, one day it will happen.

Here it is, 25 minutes in.

We do the same dance every year I'm afraid, 'maybe this is the year it finally works.'

It's also why Betancur's dart off the front was probably the most animated I've ever been in a race, and why we all still talk about it, that look around at 500 metres and seeing nobody chasing had me on my feet, awesome stuff, full panache.

I'll still be tuning in, one day it will happen.

Here it is, 25 minutes in.

FW is pretty cool if you just give up on the epic racing and appreciate it for the 3 minute slug fest it is.

Reactions: jsem94

Maybe the lack of clear favourites means that this is the year it finally works. More teams will have no-one who could realistically win from the traditional sprint, so more teams could try to disrupt the race and send their main guy in a breakaway the final 20 km. It could happen. Perhaps. Maybe.

It doesn't really help that people just forget the action we had the last two years because Alaphilippe ended up winning. Especially in 2018, it was really touch and go whether the break would make it and Schachmann managed to hold on to a 7th place (and Nibali was just steam-rolled but of course everybody was expecting him to win...).

It could be, however, that it's less likely that a break makes it than the last couple of years given that a lot of teams could bet on a finish where it was really only Deceuninck and Movistar that could reasonably do so in the past few years.

In other words: A diametrically opposite conclusion to jagartrott's ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe the lack of clear favourites means that this is the year it finally works. More teams will have no-one who could realistically win from the traditional sprint, so more teams could try to disrupt the race and send their main guy in a breakaway the final 20 km. It could happen. Perhaps. Maybe.
Or maybe a bunch of teams that don't even have a clear leader let alone anyone who is going to win a sprint just make sure they send someone or more than one into the break?

It could be, however, that it's less likely that a break makes it than the last couple of years given that a lot of teams could bet on a finish where it was really only Deceuninck and Movistar that could reasonably do so in the past few years.

In other words: A diametrically opposite conclusion to jagartrott's ;)
This is the internet, so I'm choosing to ignore every opinion that conflicts with mine or would smash my hopes.
Fake news!

• Haha
Reactions: Hihope and Koronin
I watch less of this race than a one week stage race sprint stage. I watch like 4 minutes of racing where I might watch about 5 minutes of a sprint stage. I don't think we'll see any other type of race than a pure slugfest for the foreseeable future.

That being said, those 4 minutes are pretty great. Sucks that any move from more than 350m out almost certainly will blow up.

Good for you.

A bit hard to become aware of the fact that there was much more to the race the last two years, then.

I mean, I usually end up rewatching parts of it in Eurosport Player, or having it in the background. Last year I scrolled through the race in EP and it was more exciting than usual. But while that was true, it's a bit unfortunate that it all ends up being about the last 2km anyway. It's just the way the race is built, and there's nothing wrong with that. Shouldn't expect too much.

I watch less of this race than a one week stage race sprint stage. I watch like 4 minutes of racing where I might watch about 5 minutes of a sprint stage. I don't think we'll see any other type of race than a pure slugfest for the foreseeable future.

That being said, those 4 minutes are pretty great. Sucks that any move from more than 350m out almost certainly will blow up.

I like it for being exactly that. For me, it's about who has the best short effort w/kg - the unofficial puncheurs world champs, if you like. Except this year, of course. I'm struggling to make a decent case for anyone. Actually, for that reason I don't think a break will make it. Lots of guys who fancy their chances on the Mur, who wouldn't normally with a prime Ala or Valverde around.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS