• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Flèche Wallonne: September 30th, 2020

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win La Flèche Wallonne 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A bit shocking to see Lotto's lineup for this race. Or is it just me? I also can't understand why they're not bringing Vanhoucke.

Interested to see how Simmons, Arensman, Van Wilder, Goossens, Champoussin, Alba, Bagioli, Vansevenant... will do.
Bagioli, Champoussin, Tulett, Van Wilder, Vansevenant all very good. PS: and Jorgenson.
The others a bit less.

Last edited:
Is the last 100 m of the final downhill or is it an illusion because it flattens out a bit?

It has always been a mystery to me.
It flattens out a bit. Guys with a good sprint often wait even on the Mur to go full in the final 200 m. Climbers without a sprint try to go halfway the climb on the steepest part, but it's hard to make a gap and stay away.

It's hard to believe, but the winner of the poll ended up winning the race, in spite of all the start list changes. Hirschi would be considered an exceptional young talent if he wasn't in the shadow of a few others. I'm also surprissed about Cosnefroy. I thought in the Tour they just allowed him to go, but he's actually quite strong.

300 m before the finish I thought Kwiatkowski was going to win, but he staggered on the last steep bit. Pogacar is probably just past the peak of his shape.

That was a great ride by Vansevenant. Gutted for him. If anything it looked like he'd drawn away from Uran's challenge again. Given he had time to crash, retrieve the bike get on and shove away with time to spare.

Well done Hirschi. Properly arrived.

Last edited:
It flattens out a bit. Guys with a good sprint often wait even on the Mur to go full in the final 200 m. Climbers without a sprint try to go halfway the climb on the steepest part, but it's hard to make a gap and stay away.

Yeah. The 450 m mark seems to be the soft spot for the climbers. Porte attacked in the same corner as Purito and Fuglsang but he wasn't punchy enough to get a gap.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
It was a decent ride by Martin and he made ground up the climb, his problem once again though was really poor positioning, he was at least 30/35 back when the road got steeper. He may have made a podium had he been towards the front.
Some things are constants in life: death, taxes, and Dan Martin being too far back at the start of the Mur.

It's still uphill, you can see how despite having a more than sufficient advantage in the women's race van der Breggen still has to get out the saddle to force enough momentum to cross the line. It's just one of those optical illusions, like Magnetic Hills, as the gradient goes from somewhere around 13% to about 3% very quickly, leading to the impression of riders emerging over the summit from the camera behind the finish.