• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Vuelta ciclista a España 2020

Who will win the Vuelta 2020?

• Primoz Roglic

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Richard Carapaz

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Enric Mas

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Guillaume Martin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sepp Kuss

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Aleksandr Vlasov

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • any Quickstepper

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
0c283

The Vuelta starts on tuesday! It will be the last GT of the year, as always, but this year it will also be the last big race of the year at all.

These are the profiles for the first three of 18! stages:

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-1-profile-a3a27b6aa2.jpg

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-2-profile-01d674293f.jpg

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-3-profile-ec81ad8bba.jpg

Later the Tourmalet and the Angliru will be climbed.

Who are the top contenders? No idea.
Well, there is Carapaz on top of a strong Ineos line-up.
Roglic (and Dumoulin).
Valverde (and mMas).
Also Pinot, G. Martin, Vlasov and two Basque brothers. Bahrain supports Poels and Mitchelton brings Chaves. There are some steep climbs for Sepp Kuss and two or three sprint stages for Pascal Ackermann and Sam Bennett. Maybe EF will support Dani Martínez or maybe they will have a surprise dotted brown jersey with orange and green stripes for us.
I have not even talked about Froome, yet...
So, let's all get hyped and excited (even though there is no shark in these waters)! :hearteyecat:

Well the Movistar boys look to be happy before the start of this one. So it appears that at leas they seem to think they have good form.
Looking forward to it, although I usually enjoy la Vuelta.
More like the Tour and less like the Giro, the Vuelta is no allowing anyone who is outside the Vuelta bubble into hotels, with the obvious exception of hotel employees.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tour finished exactly a month after Vuelta starts, so conventional wisdom would go with those who didn't ride it going well i.e Vlasov/Sosa and those who didn't ride it hard (Bala/Poels maybe?).

Think Roglic and Dumo going well at the Worlds and LBL wasn't necessarily good for their chances here, especially considering they looked good to go by Dauphine time. Riding that hard 3 months straight and carrying the form through the entirety seems like a bridge too far, but I'd go with Tom being better just because it seems like he wasn't riding to full capability.

Froome won't do anything, but I hope he goes off the front on the first stage for the craic.

Last edited:
Will this be a bag-less Grand Tour?

A bit annoying that the first three stages are mountainous with Giro stages also being mountainous on the same dates, then Friday will be two flat stages. Oh, well.

I voted for Pinot but don't really believe it.
Are ETAs different or very similar?

I'm not gonna do it to myself to get hyped about Pinot. Winning a stage would be nice for him. I think this is between the Jumbots and Ineos bots.

I'm really interested to see Sunweb here with this young team. They're probably not gonna do much apart from Kanter being thereabouts in the sprints and Van Wilder and the other climbers infiltrating breaks on Hilly/mountainous stages but with a view to the future, this will be the climbing core of the team in 2-3 years time. And as the Tour and Giro showed, Sunweb really hit it off with their lockdown training regime. Maybe there will already be some nice performances.

Will this be a bag-less Grand Tour?

A bit annoying that the first three stages are mountainous with Giro stages also being mountainous on the same dates, then Friday will be two flat stages. Oh, well.

I voted for Pinot but don't really believe it.
What are the stage timings? If it’s Giro first then Vuelta we won’t miss too much as those first 3 stages are fairly flat for the first half of them then hilly/mountainous in the second half.

TRENDING THREADS