• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Vuelta ciclista a España 2020

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Vuelta 2020?

• Primoz Roglic

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Richard Carapaz

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Enric Mas

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Guillaume Martin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sepp Kuss

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Aleksandr Vlasov

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • any Quickstepper

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
For me, like for majority here, it is the fight between Carapaz (to prove that they should have let him ride Giro) and Roglic (TdF redemption tour)... They both have great motivation and hopefully on form to go for it... The rest I'm giving to somebody from the young guns group: Martinez, Mas or Vlasov... Vlasov maybe an odd shot here but hey 2020 is the young guns coming out year.

Some more before the start

Ekrra3yXUAAk23T

Ekrra4HXYAEbqWt

EkoLoELXEAMUzzi

EkmqKVcXEAAHOtr

Eki28FMXIAER6_b

EkjFh3zW0AE5VkX

EksmnZ4XIAEeHkY

EksmnZnWMAEg29a

EkmfZbVWkAABPUI

EkmfZbSWkAAemVF

Last edited:
Good to see Dawg back racing a grand tour, sadly too many will take great delight when he doesn't have the legs

Of course. It's why "everyone" cheered when Indurain lost his legs in 1996 & even Armstrong himself would have been well advised to let the natural passing of time beat him & lose a Tour in 2004 or 2005: many people want to see the champion fall... even though it's nothing really personal.

Froome won loads, i.e. it's quite normal for people to be hungry for new champions & want the former ones to fail. It's reassuring for the viewers, i.e. the previous exploits of champions are only further magnified by the sight of their current struggles (aka cycling is a hard as hell unforgiving sport which doesn't tolerate weakness & aging).

with so many people doubling up from the Tour it feels like that the advantage should be with the few that did not (go Woods) or those who couldn't perform/took it easier at the Tour.

on the other hand it's a 13 day + 1 climb race so doubling up should be easier

against the idea of an easier double is the calender with the Worlds and Ardennes in between

so all in all, I have no idea what will happen

Carapaz. :grimacing: Roglic or Dumo or Kuss (or Pinot) would be my fav, but the head says Carapaz. I don't think he went as deep as Roglic at the TDF, and Dumo will be better in 2021, back to his top form, but not yet. Kuss could be great for three or four really tough mountain days, but I think there are too many mountain stages in this Vuelta for him if he wants to place high on GC (he's bound to have at least one jour sans), plus he's average at best in the TT. I think he shines brightest as a top support climber, where he can occasionally take time to recover (losing time) on stages where he's finished his work or is not needed for the hills.

Last edited:
I hope Marc Soler accidentally manages to get time in the first few stages and then we're back to the Movistar triple leader scenario, thus ruling out Enric Mas of any chance for the win . He should probably still podium again.

Except you're forgetting a big difference this year. This year Movistar has a group of guys who actually get along very well with each other. Soler and Mas are good friends and both like riding with and want to ride with Valverde. Mas said after the Tour that riding that Tour with Valverde showed him how much he still needs to learn about how to be leader and how to deal with all the responsibilities the leader has. He was talking about hoping the next GT he'd be able to start shouldering a bit of those responsibilities.

I’ve got something that pissed me off today... The world feed at La Vuelta. I have no issues with a former pro female in the commentary booth, but at least have one that can talk about riders besides Froome.

My regular channel zonked out today with weather so I switched over to the world feed on my mobile so I didn’t catch the name of the announcer, but it was right at the time Froome was dropped and she was going on and on about how Froome should “get on his radio right now and tell the team to slow down because he’s their leader” and overall guy. Apparently oblivious to the fact that Carapaz entered the race as a podium contender and possible winner, she expected them to lay off the pace so Froome wouldn’t be dropped. She droned on longer about Froome than Bob Roll talking about Lance at an Armstrong Appreciation Society meeting.

Seriously. I vaguely remember her from the 2019 World Championships pissing me off as well with a comment about how much she wanted one rider (it may have been Backstedt’s daughter in one of the events) to finish on the podium. It’s one thing to applaud a rider’s performance and say it’s deserving, but openly pulling for someone isn’t commentating, it’s cheering.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Reactions: Koronin and JosefK
I’ve got something that pissed me off today... The world feed at La Vuelta. I have no issues with a former pro female in the commentary booth, but at least have one that can talk about riders besides Froome.

My regular channel zonked out today with weather so I switched over to the world feed on my mobile so I didn’t catch the name of the announcer, but it was right at the time Froome was dropped and she was going on and on about how Froome should “get on his radio right now and tell the team to slow down because he’s their leader” and overall guy. Apparently oblivious to the fact that Carapaz entered the race as a podium contender and possible winner, she expected them to lay off the pace so Froome wouldn’t be dropped. She droned on longer about Froome than Bob Roll talking about Lance at an Armstrong Appreciation Society meeting.

Seriously. I vaguely remember her from the 2019 World Championships pissing me off as well with a comment about how much she wanted one rider (it may have been Backstedt’s daughter in one of the events) to finish on the podium. It’s one thing to applaud a rider’s performance and say it’s deserving, but openly pulling for someone isn’t commentating, it’s cheering.

Just had to get that off my chest.
I had the same reaction (was watching the NBC Sports Gold package). It was clear as day that Carapaz was the leader for Ineos and had the form, and that Froome had no form, not even enough to keep up with the top domestiques from some of the other GC guys' teams.

I had the same reaction (was watching the NBC Sports Gold package). It was clear as day that Carapaz was the leader for Ineos and had the form, and that Froome had no form, not even enough to keep up with the top domestiques from some of the other GC guys' teams.
Me as well. Though I thought she might be purposely dumbing down for english-speaking audiences who might not be aware that Ineos have been well aware of Froome’s numbers and physiology levels all summer (and now fall) long, know he’s one of the worst on the team, and have him on the squad only because they had promised to give him a shot, or because of genuine loyalty to Froome, or because a contract clause they had to meet. But perhaps you folks are correct in that she’s the clueless one. My odd thought about new announcers for North American audiences is that announcers should be knowledgeable or have personal experience in cycling so they have inside info to share, but that they should train by listening to baseball announcers, who became skilled at carrying along a narrative when not much is going on, and even when things do happen, they don’t feel the need to overexplain everything we can see with our own eyes, or make things up because they feel like they must blab some type of information, even if they make it up as they go along.

TRENDING THREADS