• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España La Vuelta Femenina 2024 (April 28th-May 5th)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Medical Report Vuelta Femenina-

Fall of Emma Bjerg, jersey number 3 of Team Movistar, km 115, wound by laceration in the posterior face of the right arm, cleaning, disinfection and bandages.-

Fall of cyclist Clara Emond, jersey number 141, team EF, at the finish line, contusion in the elbow, suspected fracture in the forearm bone, immobilisation and derived to a private hospital.-

Fall of cyclist Anna Henderson, jersey number 63, Team Visma Lease a Bike, km 115,contusion in the shoulder, suspected fracture of the left collarbone, immobilisation and derived to the University Hospital of Castellón.-

Cyclist Eline Jansen, jersey 154, team Volkerwessel Womens Pro Cycling Team, cured at the finish line for abrasions in the left knee, cleaning of wound.

COMMUNIQUE OF THE COMMISSAIRES’ PANEL 3
Art. 2.6.027 .Due to the several crashes in the last 3 km, all riders involved with the crashes are credited with the same time (2h 51’ 03”).

For the third stage, feeding will be open from km 25 and will be closed at 15 km to the finish.

Reactions: awavey
So Henderson has broken a collarbone for the second time in Valenciana this year, thus becoming the female version of Oscar Onley, and Clara Emond has fractured an elbow.

It looks like there will be a smaller chance of rain today compared to yesterday, but there might be a bit more wind. It goes up and down for most of the day, and it seems like a great opportunity for Vos to get a win, unless it turns into a GC battle or a breakaway gets too much of a gap.

a8852

The first climb, Mas del Moro, comes only a few km after the start in Llucena/Lucena del Cid.

MasdelMoroLlucena.png

This is followed by this descent to Argelita

MasdelMoro.png

From Argelita the terrain continues to gently rise for the next 40 km.
This is a profile of a 3 km stretch from Montanejos, about 50 km into the stage.

embalse-de-arenos-montanejos.png

I've now realised, that I initially posted the wrong ascent to Fuentes de Rubielos.
The right one is both longer and steeper and was used on the Javalambre stages in the men's Vuelta in 2019 and '23.

fuentes-de-rubielos-olba.png

I think this is the climb that follows after the descent from Fuentes de Rubielos.

el-chorrador-rubielos-de-mora.png

Then after the descent and a bonus sprint in Mora de Rubielos with 45 km to go, another bit of climbing needs to be done with on the way to La Puebla de Valverde.

alto-del-gabito-fuente-de-la-penuela.png

I think the last uphill section of the day looks similar to the one above, but I haven't found a profile. It ends about 20 km before the finish in Teruel (Alba Teruel sadly isn't riding). Due to all these different climbs, this stage allegedly has more altitude gain than any of the other stages in this year's Vuelta, so it won't be an easy day for the riders.

Last edited:
Reactions: awavey and Didinho
¡Teruel existe!

It's a shame that they couldn't do something with the Sierra de Albarracín, the scenery there is incredible, but I guess that given this is a largely forgotten part of Spain and Teruel is already the smallest provincial capital in the country they were probably required to finish there logistically, and apart from maybe Mirador del Forniche Alto (which itself would still be a decent distance from the finish) I'm not sure there's too much they could do here. Would have liked them to make it tougher mid-stage with the likes of Puertomingalvo since there isn't really a distinct medium mountain stage in the race, but they probably didn't want to have a stage like that early on in the race when the mountaintop finishes are relatively tame in case it overbalances things too early.

Emma Norsgaard also has abandoned, effects of the crash yesterday

She was bandaged up at the start, so not much of a surprise. She and Cavalli don't have the best of luck. FDJ hasn't given any update on the latter, which is a bit worrying.

I expect the suspects from yesterday in Visma, EF, Jayco and Movistar to ride hard to ensure Kool does not make the finish.

I expect the stage to be too hard for Kool no matter what. However with only Benito having been allowed up the road, the pace in peloton won't necessarily have to be that high.

She was bandaged up at the start, so not much of a surprise. She and Cavalli don't have the best of luck. FDJ hasn't given any update on the latter, which is a bit worrying.

I expect the stage to be too hard for Kool no matter what. However with only Benito having been allowed up the road, the pace in peloton won't necessarily have to be that high.

The peleton can quickly bring back the five minutes.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca