• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lachlan Morton

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's a cool trip, probably quite exhausting, and I suppose he's a nice guy, but I don't really get why I would watch that. But then I never get why people watch influencers, I mean, that's basically what he does, it's an influencer thing, right?
Good that he raised the money for charity, though.
I think he really just likes riding his bike...and he's pretty fast doing it, compratively. Seems like a really laid back guy, who is pretty humble, and likes doing things a bit differently. It's not spectator friendly, but it's a cool ride, and it did raise a lot of money for a great cause.

It's a cool trip, probably quite exhausting, and I suppose he's a nice guy, but I don't really get why I would watch that. But then I never get why people watch influencers, I mean, that's basically what he does, it's an influencer thing, right?

Essentially yes. What he did is clearly impressive but, as I've mentioned in this thread, it's not something new and many amateur riders do this kind of thing regularly. It's also why I think it would be cool if EF spun out their adventure team as a full time endeavour, but I get the arguments that tying it to the World Tour team makes sense. If you follow ultra-distance races then you'll be used to following this kind of thing. I feel like it harks back to the early Tours in two ways. There's the whole self-supported nature of it (and how self-supported it is can be a whole different discussion) but also the anticipation of the news coming through rather than the instant gratification of modern outlets reporting results the minute they happen. It fits well with a lot of people's day, you catch up in the morning over breakfast and then again in the evening after tea. I've followed a lot of friends on ultra races this way (as well as a bit of dot watching) and I find it really enjoyable without feeling like it takes over my life while it's happening.

I was wondering how he would manage the chaos of the Arc de Triomphe traffic seven or eight times. 5:30 in the morning is probably less suicidal.

Ha, it's actually not that bad (l live about 2 kms from the Arc). You just sit up straight, wave your arms and make eye contact -- same as in a car, really! Although I still get Avenues Hoche and Foch mixed up all the time...

Reactions: Sandisfan

For me, a decided non-millennial or Gen Z'er, a well-written and presented "influencer" blog/Instagram feed/TikTok etc can be entertaining. I especially enjoy Pete Stetina's adventures in gravel etc. It's basically things I'd love to do if I had the money/time/gumption/energy etc.

For example, circumnavigating France by following the TdF route? Yes, please, although it would take me months rather than days...so it's cool to see how a pro-level cyclist would do it.

TRENDING THREADS