• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance Armstrong Appreciation Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
SirLes said:
More awareness needed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-later-dead-He-testicular-cancer-aged-28.html

(I can't believe I'm linking something from the daily mail: the shame)

Maybe you should get in touch with Lance and ask him to divert money from his personal wealth from the charity/business to cancer awareness. You might also ask him to divert money from the profit site, or at least make it clear to people whether they are funding him or charity and that might make a whole bunch of money free for what its meant to be used for.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Thank you Lance for being a cautionary tail for young riders. No matter how big you are they will get you

I agree, note to all young riders: the way to success, fame and money is doping. Just make sure you do it in an organised way with the best medical support and make sure the governing body is "onside".

Oh, and don't **** off ex teammates by not giving them a ride when they need it or you may get caught years later but only after you've been able to enjoy the adulation and money for years.

Before Lance, when people asked me if I cheated I would answer, "Morally, I just can't sir."

Now that I have more awareness I'm more positive, more of a, "Yes I can sir." type of guy. ;)

So....thanks for that.

Great thread guys, my nose needed a coffee rinse this morning.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to thank Lance on behalf of the US lawyers and attorneys for his services to the legal profession and his assistance in providing much needed financial support in these tough economic times.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
..... Some don't believe the charges, some don't care, and some (mostly Republicans) admire him for his ways. ......

Umm, that speaks volumes right there. Doesn't say much for them, does it?

Good thing this thread is in the clinic.

Also, not everyone admires lemming behavior...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
Umm, that speaks volumes right there. Doesn't say much for them, does it?

Good thing this thread is in the clinic.

Also, not everyone admires lemming behavior...

I know a JP Morgan banker who admires Lance even more when he learns from me how much of a Sociopath Lance is. He once said that Lance would fit in perfectly at JPM, character-wise.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
I know a JP Morgan banker who admires Lance even more when he learns from me how much of a Sociopath Lance is. He once said that Lance would fit in perfectly at JPM, character-wise.

:eek::eek::eek:

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

I'm not remotely surprised, but that's still the saddest thing I've heard all day. Lance is a naughty little rich boy, but he doesn't hold the fortune of the Western world in his hands.

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for opening my eyes to the reality of professional sport - it's business, not sport. I guess in the context of that statement, LA is an inspiration - the only mistake he made was screwing over ex-teammates (as someone else stated) which will hopefully be his downfall.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SirLes said:
I agree, note to all young riders: the way to success, fame and money is doping. Just make sure you do it in an organised way with the best medical support and make sure the governing body is "onside".

Oh, and don't **** off ex teammates by not giving them a ride when they need it or you may get caught years later but only after you've been able to enjoy the adulation and money for years.

like all the other teams in the pro peloton ;)

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
like all the other teams in the pro peloton ;)

Well, if they did, they didn't do it properly.

If you're going to break the rules you need to make sure you win or you might as well be clean as its cheaper.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Lance for all the laughs.

Asked in July 2008 if he missed the Tour, Armstrong responded
"I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the camaraderie of a team. Guys like George and of course Johan [Bruyneel] were really important parts of the whole day-to- day set up. But I had my time, and I had good run."

8th September 2008, NYVelocity are first to report a possible Armstrong return:
We got an anonymous tip today, which was somewhat corroborated by independent sources. Seems that a certain retired cyclist is planning a comeback next year. This cyclist may or may not race five races. He may or may not take performance bonuses in an effort to prove his un-dirtiness. He may or may not join a team whose name might be an anagram for 'a satan'. Has anyone else heard anything?

• Astana press officer Philippe Maertens denies rumour - "He is not part of our team, team Astana has no plans with him."

10th September 2008 - Armstrong confirms:
• "I am happy to announce that after talking with my children, my family and my closest friends, I have decided to return to professional cycling in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden,"

10th September 2008 - Vanity Fair who had an exclusive interview, hastily post it online. The key points:
• On the 2008 Tour "it’s not a secret. I mean, the pace was slow".
• “We’re going to be completely transparent and open with the press. This is for the world to see"
• "Everyone’s invited. From the bitterest of rivals I’ve ever had in the pressroom: Get on call. If you’ve got a question, ask it.… They’ll realize that I’m not messing around.”
• “The constituency that I represent is now cancer survivors.”
• "I am essentially racing for free. No salary. No bonus. Nothing on the line.… This one’s on the house".

Reactions to Armstrongs return:
Pat MQuaid:"He'll probably never shut up the no-gooders but it might give him the opportunity to prove he can do it clean."
McQuaid added that there was no point in looking back at past seasons, and wondering if performances were clean or not. "We have to move forward,"
David Walsh - "Overall I'm pleased. It will let us decide on what his lasting legacy will truly be."
Bob Stapleton of Columbia: "If this is just about a return to glory that would be disappointing for me."

Christian Prudhome:If his yet unknown team as well as himself comply with today's much more severe anti-doping rules, then we will accept his participation," Prudhomme told AFP, even though "Armstrong's victories have been tarnished by suspicions since 1999."
Bernard Hinault: "Jeannie Longo is still there, and she's almost 50 years old,"
Marc Madiot: "But before trying to win the Tour again, Lance Armstrong has to explain himself about what happened in 1999."
Jean-René Bernaudeau: "With Armstrong, you get the impression that everything is easy: he stops for three years and then comes back as if nothing happened. That's not how cycling works. Now, we can ask ourselves what the recipe is..."

15th September 2008, Armstrong says:
"The most important issue is taking the global epidemic of cancer really to a much bigger stage," he explained. "The best way to do that is to race the bike all over the world. So you race in Australia, South Africa, South America, Europe, America, um... that is the first priority."

"It's be a mistake to say I'm coming back to win an eighth Tour; I don't need an eighth Tour," then "We will have a comprehensive anti-doping program that will leave no doubt, if I'm successful, but I can not reiterate enough: nothing will change. In 2009, nothing will change from 2001. I never cheated. I'm not going to cheat in '01; I'm not going to cheat in '09. That's not going to change".

25th September 2008 - at the Cinton Global Intiative:
"Beyond today, I'm not going to tell you how clean I am and I'm not going to insinuate how dirty the others are, I'm going to ride my bike and I'm going to spread this message around the world and Don Catlin can tell you if I am clean or not,"
"I've made myself completely available to everybody - whatever he gets, it will appear online and you can all analyse it."

26th September 2008 - in Las Vegas with Catlinto discuss his anti-doping program, Armstrong says to LeMond.
"You've done your job. We are here to talk about a couple of things, like the Global Clinton campaign and my comeback to cycling. It's time for us, everybody in this room, to move on. We are not going to go there, I appreciate you being here – next question".

About the cost of the initiative:
"It is probably prohibitive for a lot of athletes to do it," said Armstrong. "But I am not taking a salary so I can ask the team to do certain things and this is one of them that is imperative."

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SirLes said:
Well, if they did, they didn't do it properly.

If you're going to break the rules you need to make sure you win or you might as well be clean as its cheaper.

who didn't do it properly?

BMC won the TdF last year
Garmin won Giro this year
Geox won the Vuelta last year

all 3 winners have links with doping.

Cadel with Ferarri
Hesjedal rode for USPS & Discovery
Cobo rode for Saunier-Duvall.

none have ever tested positive. But we heard after 2006 the sport was clean. After 2008 the sport was clean and after Evans win the sport was clean.........................

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Thank you Lance for being a cautionary tail for young riders. No matter how big you are they will get you

And here, I thought lance was only interested in chasing "cautionary tail"! Doh ...rimshot!!!

The problem with the graph is that it doesn't list specific categories of bikes being sold i.e. mtb or road bike (just bikes with wheels over 20 inches). The total number of bikes sold could be around the same just that more road bikes were sold as opposed to mtb and the rest. So, lance, thank you for making road bikes cool again.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
The Unbearable lightness of being Lance

Thanks, Lance for teaching us how NOT to behave.

And for encouraging all the fat American, middle-aged, rich Freds to drop $4,000 on a Trek Madone, stuff their corpulent weisswurst arses into a full US Postal, Radioshack, etc kit and clog up the local roads. Now, I have someone I can drop on the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS