• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

lance armstrong, case closed.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
i'm a big lance fan; or rather WAS a big fan. i even own all his 7 tour videos. but even i know he doped earlier in his career. i think you're deluding yourself into thinking that he never did. i even think he was on something during the '99 and maybe even the '00 tour.

and now, afld has closed his case. personally, i think he did violate a rule. even if he had doubts about the tester's identity, he should never have left the tester's presence. he should have known that rule, since he claims he's the most tested athlete ever. if he was just a lowly domestique, he would have been sanctioned; probably even suspended for 2 years. but he is LANCE. even the french know a cash cow when they see one.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't think he's under any obligation to do anything until the person's identity has been determined, especially if the person gives him permission to go shower.

I do question why AFLD made a big stink about the possibility of sanctions yet no announcement from them of the case being dropped.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I still think there are way too many facts going on behind the scenes that only got partially reported and back to the original postings where it was 'he said, she said', and now came to a point where the case looks rather lame and silly.

Although I am all for following procedures and obeying ALL the rules, there were a few too many unknowns in this case to really make a solid case.

But that is purely my $0.02 of input !!

A

Anonymous

my overwhelming thought, is if the afld or whoever they are, hadnt gone running to l'equipe then none of this would have happened..

everyone has come out looking stupid, after all the rumours, allegations, and whatever, its come back as "nothing is happening"...

if the french labs had kept there mouths shut nobody would have been any the wiser..

which begs the question..

obviously they blabbed because it was lance... so how many other incidents like this are there every week, or month that dont get blabbed to l'equipe and then the other press.. :?

makes you wonder...

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Every bodies frightened of him...he's a bully and needs standing up to. Still perhaps Theo Bos will ride the tour and grab his shirt!!. The sport was better off without him but sadly the business side of the sport loves him and where there's a buck to be made things will always be bent and he knows it.
And....
Never mind whether he's doped or not (which he has) who can respect a guy who wears black socks and has black handlebar tape....when I first started in this sport such bad habits were reserved for tourists. The guys got no class!

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Jacques Tati said:
Every bodies frightened of him...he's a bully and needs standing up to. Still perhaps Theo Bos will ride the tour and grab his shirt!!. The sport was better off without him but sadly the business side of the sport loves him and where there's a buck to be made things will always be bent and he knows it.
And....
Never mind whether he's doped or not (which he has) who can respect a guy who wears black socks and has black handlebar tape....when I first started in this sport such bad habits were reserved for tourists. The guys got no class!

I think it is hilarious that he has so many people who hate him oversees. I figured Europeans would be used to American Athletic domination. I have a little theory for the French...Start pouring all the effort you have to discredit one of the best cyclist of all times (if not the best) into your Jr. Teams...Then maybe you will develop a rider who could actually contend for Le Tour. Ciao

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
davestoller said:
tempest in a teapot.

case closed.
Lets move on to racing bikes.

AMEN!!!!

"The AFLD said Friday that it has "decided to take into consideration the athlete's written explanations and, in consequence, not to open a disciplinary procedure against him." It also confirmed that no abnormalities were detected in the urine, blood and hair sampleszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
agreed (with somebody who uploaded a weird pic above)

it is just messy. lord pharmarmstrong more than likely didnt do too much wrong, like what could you do in 30 minutes with a big of solution and a few masking agents.
regardless it is the whole whishy washy leadership from WADA and UCI. If there were open, documented testing and results, instead of this elbowing culture, 'sure we will let him go this time'
u break the rules - u suffer the set fine/ban.

messy messy.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
First off, you gotta love the name of the case "Shower-Gate" that's just great! Did Laura Weislo title it or was it someone else? Keep that up! Who remembers last years "Snow-Blower Gate" :D, I think we have the best headlines in all sports!

Second, its just a case of two wrongs not making a right. Had one side done it right this would of never happened, so I blame both parties equally, I think a fine on both sides of equal value. This way both sides are put on notice to get it right or pay the consequences next time, also re-iterates the rules so there is no additional questioning or asking of breaking them for convenience by either side. At this point it does not matter who the rider or tester are/were.

Who remembers the chaperon chasing Ricco down at last year's Tour, that is one tester that got it right!

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Cycleman07 said:
I think it is hilarious that he has so many people who hate him oversees. I figured Europeans would be used to American Athletic domination. I have a little theory for the French...Start pouring all the effort you have to discredit one of the best cyclist of all times (if not the best) into your Jr. Teams...Then maybe you will develop a rider who could actually contend for Le Tour. Ciao

Any one can dominate with a needle in there ****....Franky...Tyler.....need to say anymore...oh and they rode for postal ARMSTRONGs team. As for best rider yes best Tour De France rider without doubt. However you may be interested to know there are more races on the calender than the Tour. I thing you'll find the honour of best rider of all time remains firmly with Eddy Merckx some 585 professional wins, I recall some yank having a winge a couple of months ago in Procycling mag that somebody must have got Armstrongs number of 41 wins wrong....he was corrected 41 wins only!

ridley said:
I still think there are way too many facts going on behind the scenes that only got partially reported and back to the original postings where it was 'he said, she said', and now came to a point where the case looks rather lame and silly.

+1000

Let's be done with this. There's a great race on Sunday, and a GT starting in two weeks!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The AFLD should have never opened their mouth about this....They did BECAUSE it was Lance. It's a witch hunt. However, that tester must have changed his story or Lance must have said something extraordinary in that letter to have them do an about face...

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Jacques Tati said:
Any one can dominate with a needle in there ****....Franky...Tyler.....need to say anymore...oh and they rode for postal ARMSTRONGs team. As for best rider yes best Tour De France rider without doubt. However you may be interested to know there are more races on the calender than the Tour. I thing you'll find the honour of best rider of all time remains firmly with Eddy Merckx some 585 professional wins, I recall some yank having a winge a couple of months ago in Procycling mag that somebody must have got Armstrongs number of 41 wins wrong....he was corrected 41 wins only!

I would never question Eddy Merckx greatness...Legendary...And I do understand that there are great Classics, and other Grand Tours that Lance never or rarely participated in. You say anyone can dominate with a needle in their (insert body part here)...Are you a doctor or an Anti-doping official? You have proof that he doped? No you dont. A lot of riders have doped that have been caught and paid the price. But nothing takes the place of a negative test. That is all you or I have to go by, and he never failed. EVER

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
More bad reporting by Cyclingnews. The AFLD press release specifically states they did not test the hair sample.

The AFLD took the hair sample not to be tested. They are going to keep it in the lab and in a number of years use it to clone and have a French rider that can actually win a GT for a change !! ;)

I am amazed.
Seems some here are now blaming the AFLD for blowing up this non-story, out of all proportion!
They are the ones who kept their mouths shut, while Lance twittered and videoed all sorts of rubbish.

We still have this anti-French/pro American rubbish, being spouted.

I've come to the conclusion that nobody hates Lance, not even the French.
It's the loons that he attracts that is the big magnet for this particular emotion.

Get with the Alpe D'Huez programme. Forget all this antagonistic nonsense and start looking forward to the centenary Giro.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I am amazed.
Seems some here are now blaming the AFLD for blowing up this non-story, out of all proportion!
They are the ones who kept their mouths shut, while Lance twittered and videoed all sorts of rubbish.

We still have this anti-French/pro American rubbish, being spouted.

I've come to the conclusion that nobody hates Lance, not even the French.
It's the loons that he attracts that is the big magnet for this particular emotion.

Get with the Alpe D'Huez programme. Forget all this antagonistic nonsense and start looking forward to the centenary Giro.

I agree we have a monument this weekend the Giro coming soon and we're talking about armstrong and afld, let's forget about those lovebirds and talk about what riders do on their bike

Makuri said:
I do question why AFLD made a big stink about the possibility of sanctions yet no announcement from them of the case being dropped.

Actually it was Armstrong who made the big stink about possible sanctions; AFLD just said it was considering its options. I don't disrespect Armstrong but I think he has a tendency to pre-emptively defend himself against exaggerated adversity as a way of riling his fans up, e.g. suggesting that he might get physically assaulted on the streets of France if he tries to race the Tour.

Cycleman07 said:

There we go again with the racist French dribble. When are people in the States gonna GET OVER THEMSEVES. And I can say that because I'm friggen AMERICAN. Look the guy you critisize is right. It's all about money and business. And Lance isn't nice. Everbody I kow who raced against him in the Jr., Sr. US division said as much years ago. I'm a year older than Lance. Raced against Hinacape "back in the day." In the days of USCF....

In any case, the French LOVED Lemond, THE AMERICAN. But that was a different era. And a different cycling.

I think it was a smart move from Lance being so humble about it, and fully expecting the French to keep them out of their race. Anyone out there prepared to oppose that statement? It's their raison de vivre.
Because of Lance&Co. getting the PR right while the AFLD's and tester's case were weak, at least in the media, they probably figured "Let's cut our losses, and get him next time over something else. We'll swap some labels, produce some evidence, and he'll confess to what we a fully believing to have done, at some point in his carreer. We'll take all of his TdF victories back, and history will speak a bit more French."

In the end, all they ever did was get Lance more motivated to make them hate him for this wins, and the way he gets them.
I don't like the guy, but fully expect him to have been clean at least the last 5 or 6 wins.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
He NEVER tested positive

Cycleman07 got it right.... Lance has NEVER had a positive doping test. All of the BS about what people think and their deranged opinions to the contrary just don't carry any weight. From being a youngster Lance showed that he had the physical and mental capacity to succeed. During his Tour years he crushed people in the Mountains and TT's, allowed other riders to take honors(Pantani, Basso, etc.) because had respect for them as professionals and he believed in sharing the wealth and all he gets in return from the Lance Haters is the constant tune of "I know he doped" , get over it, judge Lance on his performances and quit whining!

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
The AFLD's raison d'être is to fight against d0ping within their jurisdiction. They aren't in the PR business, unlike Lance. You accuse them of having a vendetta against just one rider? My belief is that Lance himself leaked the story to Radio Monte Carlo, not to l'Equipe.
You make AFLD sound like the CIA.

TRENDING THREADS