• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance Armstrong Wants To Tell Nation Something But (theonion)

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Won´t take long till there are nearly more Armstrong-threads than posts in this forum.
Won´t take long till you have to search for yesterdays threads and posts on page 3-10.
Thats not funny any more and really disturbing.

One Armstrongthread in "Professional road racing" which no one really cares about - thousands of Armstrongthreads in the clinic

The Admins do NOTHING, but this is not really surprising.

Its really time for a Armstrong-clinic subforum. Otherwise whats going on here is getting really really confusing and ridiculous.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Won´t take long till there are nearly more Armstrong-threads than posts in this forum.
Won´t take long till you have to search for yesterdays threads and posts on page 3-10.

One Armstrongthread in "Professional road racing" which no one really cares about - thousands of Armstrongthreads in the clinic

Its really time for a Armstrong-clinic subforum. Otherwise whats going on here is getting really really confusing and ridiculous.

I'm not confused. I ignore the one's where posters talk to themselves...

Cobblestoned said:
One Armstrongthread in "Professional road racing" which no one really cares about

Its the most viewed and commented on thread in the forum and probably the history of the internet, somebody cares! Although, I can promise you I have never looked once cause I'm to cool.

To the OP: Its bad form (like half-wheeling your buddy) to post the content when you "borrow" material on the web, just the link. Even the Mods do it on here but you should set a higher standard.

I actually thought about posting The Onion article earlier but figured one of you would beat me to it. If The Onion (and Frank Deford--see his NPR commentary) says something about Lance in the same week, it is pretty clear the subject has been beat to death.

I also agree that Armstrong is mentioned way too much on this entire forum. 99% of the time, the comments are decidedly negative where nothing new or even insightful is said. Other times, someone will chime in with a doping reference regarding Armstrong on every thread regardless of whether the thread is about him or not.

Lance is a has-been. His time was passed when he retired in 2005 and he should have stayed retired. I believe he doped, but then again, I believe pretty much everyone else did too.

Lets move along and start the new arguments about who is a Contador fanboy...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:

Funny there are only a couple of Armstrong topics on this front page, and lo and behold yesterdays threads are still on the front page. Also it is the biggest doping story at the moment, if this forum was alive in the Festina days, I guess most of the posts/topics would be about that.

Like for example:
Lance Armstrongs tour de France career
and:
nondoping cyclists finish tour de France

But to be honest, I don't really like this onion piece, they sometimes have a lot better pieces.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
To the OP: Its bad form (like half-wheeling your buddy) to post the content when you "borrow" material on the web, just the link. Even the Mods do it on here but you should set a higher standard.

I made a living in a past life with my writing, and this bothers me to no end. Even with attribution, it's professionally rude and often legally incorrect to post entire chunks of content, particularly when there's no editorializing associated with the cribbed content.

"You have to understand—in the high-pressure world of competitive cycling, it's all about getting any advantage you can," Armstrong said. "And if we were being realistic, we'd have to admit that everyone in cycling was trying to get an advantage. So, in a way, if we were all trying to get the same advantage, then the playing field was still completely equal. So I was still the best. It makes sense when you look at it that way. And nothing I am about to tell you changes that. So, when I'm finished saying what I have to say, you all have to promise to still adore me."
Sorry to take this discussion on a tangent, but I would like to comment on the content of the article posted in the OP, in particular the part I quoted above.

My comment is that this is all in synch with what the Lance PR machine is implying, "yeah, I use PEDs. so what? everybody else did too. do we really need to waste your hard earned tax dollars on this?".

In other words, still totally missing the point.

Ninety5rpm said:
Sorry to take this discussion on a tangent, but I would like to comment on the content of the article posted in the OP, in particular the part I quoted above.

My comment is that this is all in synch with what the Lance PR machine is implying, "yeah, I use PEDs. so what? everybody else did too. do we really need to waste your hard earned tax dollars on this?".

That's, huh, sort of the point.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

It is a satire news site, nothing on it is to be taken seriously ;)

Cobblestoned said:

This one was actually funny. Go cry in another thread.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:

Yes it is interesting how any topic related to LA creates huge interest and big emotions. But I am surprised you don't understand the reasons behind this?

As Greg LeMond said back already in 2001 (when Lance's relationship with Dr Ferrari came to light), "If Armstrong's clean, it's the greatest comeback. And if he's not, then it's the greatest fraud."

And that statement was true after just 2 TdF victories. This was also well before many additional revelations, lawsuits, denials of doping, attacks on others. People don't like it when they're lied to, repeatedly. Hence the interest in seeing what is the real story.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Funny there are only a couple of Armstrong topics on this front page, and lo and behold yesterdays threads are still on the front page. Also it is the biggest doping story at the moment, if this forum was alive in the Festina days, I guess most of the posts/topics would be about that.

Like for example:
Lance Armstrongs tour de France career
and:
nondoping cyclists finish tour de France

But to be honest, I don't really like this onion piece, they sometimes have a lot better pieces.

Are you Admin or Barrus right now ?
Ok, I talk to Barrus.
You want to joke yourself or what ?
Only a few Armstrong topics ? Even when there is opened a thread about someone else, it only takes 3-4 posts till the topic is completely on Armstrong.
+
Armstrong/USPS/etc. threads

You do nothing against that because you like it like that. This is like a Propagandamachine whats going on here.
Even if Landis had said nothing it wouldn´t be any different here.
lol :D
You really mean this serious ?
If you go on like this with a smile, it will soon be exactely like I said.
I promise you that.
For every sh** there is opened a new thread. This can´t be good and this isn´t good.
Even the regular sportsforum is 50% Armstrong(bashing).
Just type "Armstrong" into the searchfunction.
Go on joking yourself and let the machine roll...

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Ok, I talk to Barrus.
Only a few Armstrong topics ? Even when there is opened a thread about someone else, it only takes 3-4 posts till the topic is completely on Armstrong.
+

You do nothing against that because you like it like that. This is like a Propagandamachine whats going on here.
I promise you that.
For every sh** there is opened a new thread. This can´t be good and this isn´t good.

This is a discussion forum for topics that the clinic members want to talk about. What's so illegitimate about that? The forum is working as designed. All topics are picked by the members themselves. Topics that interest few fade away quickly.

You need to ask yourself why there is such interest in Armstrong and everything related to that. Why was the entire nation fixated on Clinton's sex affair with the young intern for months? It is because he helped keep it in the headlines by LYING about it. He was almost impeached for something that could have gone away relatively quickly if he had come clean and told the truth early on. Can you see an analogy here?

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Ok, I talk to Barrus.
+

I promise you that.
Even the regular sportsforum is 50% Armstrong(bashing).
Just type "Armstrong" into the searchfunction.

Of the twenty threads on the front page of this forum 8 are, or have posts in them clearly talking about Lance. Quite understandable if you see the current investigation, and the fact that this is an mostly anglo-phone forum. If the allegations of Landis were not around the talk about Lance would probably has diminished as no new news stories would come out. If it had not come out we probably still would be talking about the relevations about Leipheimer.

Luckily we have a lot less troll-characters now than before and the talk about Lance has diminished quite dramatically as well. (hell, in the beginning of the Landis affaire we hade a whole page of new clinic threads each day, all about Lance). In general people are free here to speak their minds, to certain extent. The fact that we have more outspoken Armstrong "haters" than "fanboys" ensures that the overall tone is quite anti-Armstrong.

I do agree with you that I am not of the opinion that other threads need to devolve into Armstrong threads and I have been quite vocal about that, and often split up threads, or deleted posts, due to this. The best threads in this topic are not about LA, for example the Koechli & Helvetia thread has beenquite informative, as is the recurring thread about average speeds. But in threads about LA, ro closely linked to LA, don't start moaning about talk of LA.

But about the smile: I always go into the firing squad with a great wide grin. It's the only way to get out alive ;)

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Tubeless said:
This is a discussion forum for topics that the clinic members want to talk about. What's so illegitimate about that? The forum is working as designed. All topics are picked by the members themselves. Topics that interest few fade away quickly.

You need to ask yourself why there is such interest in Armstrong and everything related to that. Why was the entire nation fixated on Clinton's sex affair with the young intern for months? It is because he helped keep it in the headlines by LYING about it. He was almost impeached for something that could have gone away relatively quickly if he had come clean and told the truth early on. Can you see an analogy here?

You seem to joke yourself, too. Just open your eyes.
If I have to say something about Armstrong-doping - where should I post it ? :D
Topics don´t fade away because of low interest, they fade away because everyone thinks that he should open a new Armstrongdopingthread for every sh**.
Thats what i mean. Joke yourself - not me. Finito.

Cobblestoned said:
Topics don´t fade away because of low interest, they fade away because everyone thinks that he should open a new Armstrongdopingthread for every sh**.

Roadbikereview forums - that's where you will fit in.

Cobblestoned said:

I would hazard a guess that the opinion that Armstrong is a lying, cheating, money and popularity craving, friend screwing, Oedipal Complex having b*stard, is the majority opinion on this particular forum by a comfortable margin. In light of all the evidence and rumor that makes the rounds in the relatively insular world of bicycle racing it is not at all an unfounded opinion to have. Obviously it is not an opinion that you share for whatever reason. You seem to have made the choice to pick fights with almost any and everyone who doesn't share your fandom and I find myself wondering why you think it is so important that you do that. Do you think this forum is of such stature that it's opinion might sway the rest of the world? Why have you made it your quest to defend the honor of Lance Armstrong in a place where overwhelming public opinion is against him?
If you just ignored this place it would cease to exist in your little world and all of these people who are saying horrible things about your hero would disappear.
Or you could stay and keep flailing away like Don Quixote.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Of the twenty threads on the front page of this forum 8 are, or have posts in them clearly talking about Lance. Quite understandable if you see the current investigation, and the fact that this is an mostly anglo-phone forum. If the allegations of Landis were not around the talk about Lance would probably has diminished as no new news stories would come out. If it had not come out we probably still would be talking about the relevations about Leipheimer.

Luckily we have a lot less troll-characters now than before and the talk about Lance has diminished quite dramatically as well. (hell, in the beginning of the Landis affaire we hade a whole page of new clinic threads each day, all about Lance). In general people are free here to speak their minds, to certain extent. The fact that we have more outspoken Armstrong "haters" than "fanboys" ensures that the overall tone is quite anti-Armstrong.

I do agree with you that I am not of the opinion that other threads need to devolve into Armstrong threads and I have been quite vocal about that, and often split up threads, or deleted posts, due to this. The best threads in this topic are not about LA, for example the Koechli & Helvetia thread has beenquite informative, as is the recurring thread about average speeds. But in threads about LA, ro closely linked to LA, don't start moaning about talk of LA.

But about the smile: I always go into the firing squad with a great wide shit-eating grin. It's the only way to get out alive ;)

I think you start calculating right and had a look. Thats good. ;)

Yes the overalltone is "hating Armstrong" everywhere and everytime.
Because the people responsible in this forum like it like that, they obviously support it (even with their own posts), and let it happen without any critic or doing something. Others dopers are handled in 2-3 posts and even seem to be something like a holy grale here.
And don´t tell me this is because of Landis accusations.
The hate and support of the haters is also happening in the sports-aspect for a long long time now. Same goes for the clinic.
Landis is just the icing and the name to hide behind.

Every cyclist and doper is handled with kid gloves here - except of Armstrong.
Say something bad about someone else and you have a big problem with the haters and even with people in responsible positions here.
Sometimes it is enough just NOT to hate Armstrong.
Its all so obvious and the machine is running with full speed.
Just go on like this. Hating is just sooo easy, you need nothing for that, swim with the majority - hating is fine, hating is trend, just hate (sorry Nike).

The end of the story will be, that Admins/Mods/forum are alone with all these haters. Don´t tell me later, that I didn´t warn you.

Exactly the same was going on on German forums about Ullrich. EXACTLY like it is here now.
Some forums are completely dead because there were only all these just-hate people left, who finally hated eachother after some time and there were no more "normal, objective, realistic" people left to discuss - because of all theses haters and 1000 Ullrich(doping/hate/laughabout/fat lazy/fraud)threads.

Yes ! :cool:

Its not all about/against you, Barrus. I cover some of your thoughts.
But this is no more fun whats going on here. Perhaps your fellow admins should think for a minute about what I said, too. If they want and can understand what I mean.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Really if you want to continue with this talk, open up a thread about it in the about the forum sub-forum. I myself do not agree with you and quite frankly am tired of debating with you about this point. There is no way I can talk you out of this idea you have, and I will no longer try.

I hope no-one else attempts to discuss this any further within this thread.

Anyway, back on-topic:
Bianchigirl, you're not serious? Fox news have taken an onion article as the basis for a story of theirs? I don't think it's the first time either, that really is bad journalism

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I would hazard a guess that the opinion that Armstrong is a lying, cheating, money and popularity craving, friend screwing, Oedipal Complex having b*stard, is the majority opinion on this particular forum by a comfortable margin. In light of all the evidence and rumor that makes the rounds in the relatively insular world of bicycle racing it is not at all an unfounded opinion to have. Obviously it is not an opinion that you share for whatever reason. You seem to have made the choice to pick fights with almost any and everyone who doesn't share your fandom and I find myself wondering why you think it is so important that you do that. Do you think this forum is of such stature that it's opinion might sway the rest of the world? Why have you made it your quest to defend the honor of Lance Armstrong in a place where overwhelming public opinion is against him?
If you just ignored this place it would cease to exist in your little world and all of these people who are saying horrible things about your hero would disappear.
Or you could stay and keep flailing away like Don Quixote.

Its not the overhelming public. People like you would like to be the overhelming public - but you aren´t. You also try to manipulate people.
You are just a hater because hating is fine, hating is easy and hating is fun.
People like you really really exaggerate and make Armstrong the absolute devil without talent.
These must have been very very hard 7 Years for some jealous haters.

The proportionality is totally lost and thats the whole problem I have.

Armstrong is a CYCLIST - you should never forget that !

The hyenas smelled something and are coming.
Und tschüss.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Its not the overhelming public. People like you would like to be the overhelming public - but you aren´t. You also try to manipulate people.
You are just a hater because hating is fine, hating is easy and hating is fun.
People like you really really exaggerate and make Armstrong the absolute devil without talent.
These must have been very very hard 7 Years for some jealous haters.

The proportionality is totally lost and thats the whole problem I have.

Armstrong is a CYCLIST - you should never forget that !

The hyenas smelled something and are coming.
Und tschüss.

like I said, ignore the posters that talk to themselves...
Sorry, did you say something?

TRENDING THREADS