• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance now Astana team leader...

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Hey man, I understand the frustration, but the Tour de France is happening, Astana is the strongest team, there is a conflict about the leadership of the team (supposedly), Lance Armstrong is one of those people, and he is kind of a polarizing figure. Kind of makes sense that he will be current topic regardless of the cycling forum you visit, no?

I hear you loud and clear. Possibly just a new section on the TDF or what ever is the current races going on.

Just got back from a TR and man 55 is not so old after all. :D

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
As much as I don't like to say it Armstrong is looking good, yesterday showed he was on top of his game while the others were snoozing. Evans,Contador et al seemed to forget you can loose time on ANY stage of the tour, and its easier to lose time than to gain time.Today's TTT showed just how Strong Astana are, if they can last 3 weeks and there is no in fighting the winner will come for the Astana camp.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
..oh, I don't know, the Giro, his performance in the first TT, his performance in today's TT (he was a bit knackered and considering that someone like Sparticus pulled even more than did Mr Armstrong, and yet led his team over the line looking fresh, I would suggest that all of the "Lance will hang in the mountains" talk is fanciful fanboy fantasy. (man I got style)

1. Giro = a month and a half ago
2. First TT = Not a mountain stage
3. Today's ITT = Not a mountain stage

Again, I have to ask... what REAL data regarding his fitness would indicate that he won't be any good in the mountains?

A

Anonymous

schnebit said:

Again, I have to ask... what REAL data regarding his fitness would indicate that he won't be any good in the mountains?

Tell you what, I will meet you here on this thread Friday at this exact time and we will discuss it then. Deal?

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Tell you what, I will meet you here on this thread Friday at this exact time and we will discuss it then. Deal?

Discuss what, what data you're basing your opinion on? Come Friday, we'll have the answer... until then, it's all speculation.

I'm sure everyone will be glad to hear that Lance is admiting that winning will be harder than he thought :)

I hope the best man wins (and of course, he will).

A

Anonymous

schnebit said:
Discuss what, what data you're basing your opinion on? Come Friday, we'll have the answer... until then, it's all speculation.

I'm sure everyone will be glad to hear that Lance is admiting that winning will be harder than he thought :)

I hope the best man wins (and he, of course, will).

What REAL DATA do you have that says he will ride well Mr. Fact Guy....

I find it odd, that a class rider in his prime (Basso), was written off by the "experts" (old pro champs etc), as a Giro contender, simply because he'd not ridden competitively, for two years.

Now, we have an old guy, who should be way past his sell buy date, having not ridden competitively for three years, suddenly expected to win the most competitive race of all.

Something ain't right, here.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I think this AC vs LA showdown everyone seems to be expecting on Friday is not going to happen. Astana is just going to ride everybody else out of the tour before they try and kill each other.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
RightWingNutJob said:
I think this AC vs LA showdown everyone seems to be expecting on Friday is not going to happen. Astana is just going to ride everybody else out of the tour before they try and kill each other.

Thats a possibility although everybody is almost ridden out of the tour already. Going to be tough to climb back in it now.

schnebit said:

What TFF just offered is REAL data. It's not completely dispositive, but it is nonetheless REAL DATA. What is missing is any evidence that he WILL be good in the mountains (and frankly not good, but able to stay with the best). I haven't seen anything to suggest that he will be a better than anyone else in the mountains, but enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that he won't be. Obviously, he could turn out to have the legs after all, but so far I've found no evidence to support that conclusion other than he is the 7 time Tour champion and he deserves a little credit for that.

Mellow Velo said:
I find it odd, that a class rider in his prime (Basso), was written off by the "experts" (old pro champs etc), as a Giro contender, simply because he'd not ridden competitively, for two years.

Now, we have an old guy, who should be way past his sell buy date, having not ridden competitively for three years, suddenly expected to win the most competitive race of all.

Something ain't right, here.

It definitely ain't right. And Basso DIDN'T have it in the Giro, which makes me believe that Lance won't either (not for a lack of trying).

A

Anonymous

schnebit said:
None... but I'm not making any claims about his performance.

Uh, there is an implicit claim in your statements....which are also OPINION which I am pretty sure is all I am providing here. However, I find it interesting that you have absolutely no anecdotal evidence from this year to back your implicit argument. Why come question my opinion if you don't have one, and even worse don't have any data if you were honest enough to promote one?

Another 3 week wonder.

schnebit said:

I hope the best man wins (and of course, he will).

Getting this guy to see any point besides his own isn't going to happen

A

Anonymous

Wheels Go Round and Round said:
Getting this guy to see any point besides his own isn't going to happen

..says Miguel Indurain........another 3 week wonder who thinks they have something new and different to say. Man, there are a slew of you people stinking up the place....

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
What TFF just offered is REAL data. It's not completely dispositive, but it is nonetheless REAL DATA. What is missing is any evidence that he WILL be good in the mountains (and frankly not good, but able to stay with the best). I haven't seen anything to suggest that he will be a better than anyone else in the mountains, but enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that he won't be. Obviously, he could turn out to have the legs after all, but so far I've found no evidence to support that conclusion other than he is the 7 time Tour champion and he deserves a little credit for that.

Well, it's evidence... inconclusive at that.

To your point, the fact that he's the 7-time Tour champion warrants some respect... Also, the fact that at age 37, 3+ years out of competition, he's got the stones to throw his hat in the ring.

I mean heck, 37, 3+ years out of competition = 12th in the Giro deserves some friggin respect...

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
..says Miguel Indurain........another 3 week wonder who thinks they have something new and different to say. Man, there are a slew of you people stinking up the place....

Indurain is a 3-week wonder?

Thoughtforfood said:

Lol
whatever
you remind me of the kid that always ran his mouth when he was out of harms way

and I will bet my bottom dollar you have never ridden above cat 4

schnebit said:
Well, it's evidence... inconclusive at that.

To your point, the fact that he's the 7-time Tour champion warrants some respect... Also, the fact that at age 37, 3+ years out of competition, he's got the stones to throw his hat in the ring.

I mean heck, 37, 3+ years out of competition = 12th in the Giro deserves some friggin respect...

I'm in no way disrespecting him when I say that all of the available evidence suggest that he won't be able to climb like he use or with the best in the world. A good example is Basso. Out of competition for 2 years but training the entire time. Focused on having his form ready for the Giro. And he just wasn't the same guy. I think next year he will be better. Just like I expect Lance will be better if he decides to come back next year.

As for him throwing his hat in the ring, that's more about ego than anything else.

But at least I understand where you are coming from. You are a fan and you WANT him to do well, which is fair enough.

A

Anonymous

Lol
whatever
you remind me of the kid that always ran his mouth when he was out of harms way

and I will bet my bottom dollar you have never ridden above cat 4

Ah, another internet toughie.......I didn't know Miguel Indurain was such a badass?

Thanks for confirming the highest level you have ever ridden. I didn't know Miguel Indurain was only a Cat 4.

A

Anonymous

This where guys lIke thought about food get to trash people they couldnt beat on or off the bike

No, I get to trash 3 week fanboys who know fuck all about the sport. Get your facts straight.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
But at least I understand where you are coming from. You are a fan and you WANT him to do well, which is fair enough.

Well, you know what it is... I'm about the same age (35). I've been riding/racing since I'm 20, been following racing & the Tour since about '93/'94. I can honestly say that in the 15 years or so that I've been in the sport, Lance has done more to promote cycling in the USA than anyone else.

I can remember riding in the mid '90s and getting NO respect from motorists (i.e. having crap thrown at you on the road, being heckled, etc.). Granted, some of that still goes on but not to the degree that it used to. And Lance gets some credit for that...

Enthusiasm for cycling in general has dwindled since '05... and now it's getting another 'lift".

So yes, I'm glad that he's racing and I'd love to see him win... If nothing else but to say that an 'old guy''s still got it. Whether or not he can pull it of remains to be seen.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
Thats a possibility although everybody is almost ridden out of the tour already. Going to be tough to climb back in it now.

The tour WILL be decided among the Astana boys. Wow, I can almost visualize Alberto, Lance and Levi all waving their hands from the podium with the Champs Elysee in the background. ;)