• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance: The movie !!!! Who will play the Hog ?

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
It seems the on-again, off-again Lance Armstrong biopic is back on track.

According to a flurry of movie-industry Web sites, Armstrong’s return to competition has put fresh legs into efforts by Hollywood producer and director Frank Marshall to create a full-length movie about the seven-time Tour de France champion’s life.

According to a report on The Hollywood Reporter, Gary Ross, who penned and directed the Oscar-nominee film, “Seabiscuit,” has been hired to write a draft of an Armstrong script.

“We got inspired by his comeback, and we were able to (get going again),” Marshall was quoted. “The story of Armstrong's improbable comeback from illness to win seven consecutive Tour de France titles — and his capturing of the American imagination in doing so — carries echoes of ‘Seabiscuit.’”

Marshall — known for producing such successful franchises as “Indiana Jones,” “Back to the Future” and the Jason Bourne series — has been trying to get an Armstrong biopic off the ground for the past several years.

Marshall traveled to the Tour to watch Armstrong’s final victory in 2005 and despite reports that such actors as Matthew Damon and Jake Gyllenhaal were linked to the role, the project never quite took off.

Armstrong’s comeback decision and imminent return to the Tour in July has put fresh energy into the project, according to reports.

The movie will take inspiration from the Sally Jenkins 2000 biography title, “It’s Not About the Bike,” which traces Armstrong’s story from his troubled Texas childhood, his fight with cancer in 1996, his comeback and his first Tour victory in 1999.

Armstrong is also working with documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney, who was at the recent Giro d’Italia shooting footage for a film. Gibney won an Oscar and is best known for his directorial work in “Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.”

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
darn you beat me to it, I was just about to start the thread. Anyway maybe this is the reason for the comeback lol

Yes when they were saying "I'm sure Lance has done the numbers" before deciding on the comeback what they meant was the financial numbers !

If someone told me I could make 10 million in one year to finish 12th in the Giro I'd do it as well ! You can see how this was a well conceived plan and has nothing to do with awareness, nothing to do with winning the Tour again and everything to do with making buckets of cash.

…and the irony of having the guy who did the Enron doco doing the Lance movie !

and to play the Hog ? You can't go past the original Hog - Boss Hog:
http://trinities.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/boss_hogg.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Almost forgot, when Lance initially announced his un-retirement I thought it was mainly to get footage for his movie as its tough to really get all the Pro's to line up for a Hollywood filming and then at the major races with the crowds. Him coming out of retirement would allow him to have more filming of him racing at the big races at least for the action shots.

I do think Lance will play himself as who thinks he wouldn't do it, the ego is too big to have anyone else do it. Hey he was taking acting lessons from best remember, the Olsen twin, Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey, Jake Gyllenhaal, he's destined to win serveral rotton tomatoes :D

There is really only one actor who could play the cold blooded and neurotically controlling Armstrong: Tom "Crazy" Cruise.

The film would need some comic relief and since Chris Carmichael always struck me as a buffoon, I nominate Will Ferrel for his role.

The chameleon-like Gary Oldman would make an excellent villian as Dr. Ferrari.

Vincent D'Onofrio has the perfect look for The Hog.

Matthew McCaughnawhatchaname would make a decent, easy going Ullrich.

Bob Roll could be played by Billy Bob Thornton.

I can't see this coming off. First of all, everyone knows Lance's story. All of it. It's been published, retold, and rehashed over and over. There's nothing new there. It would be like that TV Movie of the Week about OJ Simpson that came out while he was on trial.

Second of all, Lance's stature has diminished some in the public eye. I go on group rides with rec riders (as I'm too old and slow to go with racers anymore), and I get asked every other ride about Lance and doping. I give the same answers you all know, but with a little less bite. They accept my answers as merely confirming what they already strongly suspected. Furthermore, everyone Lance beat, and most of his teammates, were doped to their eyeballs, in a very doped up, corrupt sport. So to make such a movie, how would they address the doping issue other than pretend it doesn't exist? It would be like making a baseball movie about Barry Bonds or Alex Rodriguez, and leaving steroids out.

So sure, Jack Black and Owen Wilson star.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
There is really only one actor who could play the cold blooded and neurotically controlling Armstrong: Tom "Crazy" Cruise.

The film would need some comic relief and since Chris Carmichael always struck me as a buffoon, I nominate Will Ferrel for his role.

that actually sounds like a pretty good movie:eek:

The Hog parlez Belgian English, so he would have to be played by.....John Claude Van Damme.

Tommy Lee Jones looks roughly the right age to play Lance.

Christopher Lloyd to play Doctor Ferrari.

John Goodman to play Jan Ullrich.

Toby McGuire to play Tyler Hamilton.

Danny Devito a shoe in for Levi Leipheimer.

Unfortunately, having already had a bit part in an Owen Wilson movie, Lance would first of all demand to play all the lead roles and then expect to win 7 Oscars.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Who else - Kevin Bacon. C'mon, look at those cheek-bones.

kevin_bacon.jpg

lance-armstrong.jpg

Most anticipated scene would be his EPO confession in the hospital room with the Carmichael, Betsy and Frankie and Stef McIlvein (sic), closely followed by the dumping of Floyds bloodbags!!

BroDeal said:

No no no Ulrich must be played by Dolph Lundgren! "I vil break you!"

Good post though, lol.

Landis has to be played by either Steve Zahn or Kid Rock.

Keannu Reeves as Frankie Andreu.

Freddy Prince Jr. as George Hincapie. Both used to rock a pretty good set of sideburns.

A chunky Jeff Bridges as Greg Lemond.

I could see Robert Carlyle as the Hog also.

TRENDING THREADS