• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance versus Alberto

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
This Lance versus Alberto for team leadership reminds me of the battle between Bernard Hinault and Greg Lemond. It is a distraction when two riders have potential to win if the cards are stacked right. If Alberto attacks and Lance chases him down, then people say why are you chasing down your own teammate. If Lance does not chase, then people will say Lance could have won the tour if he chased Alberto down. And vice versa if Lance attacks. Basically, it is not good to have two strong men on the team if they both want to win. I think that Lance does not expect that he will win, but wants to race competitively. If Alberto shows weakness, Lance should go for it, and vice versa.

When ALberto attacked last week, he was just making up the time he had that he lost because he was not in the break that Lance was in. Remember that Alberto did a better time trial.

I think they should both attack together in the mountains and holds hands at the finish like Greg and Hinault did. That would be classic.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
markc1 said:
This Lance versus Alberto for team leadership reminds me of the battle between Bernard Hinault and Greg Lemond. It is a distraction when two riders have potential to win if the cards are stacked right. If Alberto attacks and Lance chases him down, then people say why are you chasing down your own teammate. If Lance does not chase, then people will say Lance could have won the tour if he chased Alberto down. And vice versa if Lance attacks. Basically, it is not good to have two strong men on the team if they both want to win. I think that Lance does not expect that he will win, but wants to race competitively. If Alberto shows weakness, Lance should go for it, and vice versa.

When ALberto attacked last week, he was just making up the time he had that he lost because he was not in the break that Lance was in. Remember that Alberto did a better time trial.

I think they should both attack together in the mountains and holds hands at the finish like Greg and Hinault did. That would be classic.

**http%

May 13, 2009
Visit site
markc1 said:

homer-simpson-doh-212x300.jpg

So I think what people are trying to say is ...

Welcome to the cycling news forum - we appreciate new members and new opinions. Hi :)

And it you will often find existing threads that are good places to post your valued thoughts.

I am afraid this might have got lost in the translation ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Please read "Think before you start a thread" thread please.

Or failing that, have a look on page 2-4 on the threads page as invariably there is already one containing the topic you've just posted.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
markc1 said:

Don't mind them, they're the welcoming committee. Feel free to post what ever you desire on this subject as directed by the real administrators of this forum. But be careful, a few of those that have responded in this thread thus far, and those that will pounce right after this post, believe that this forum is their personal turf and they get a little testy when the name "Lance" is mentioned. It's a conditioned response...you know, like rats is a lab experiment.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Don't mind them, they're the welcoming committee. Feel free to post what ever you desire on this subject as directed by the real administrators of this forum. But be careful, a few of those that have responded in this thread thus far, and those that will pounce right after this post, believe that this forum is their personal turf and they get a little testy when the name "Lance" is mentioned. It's a conditioned response...you know, like rats is a lab experiment.

Pavlovian response

croix_de_fer said:
The Badger never retired, he is back in the form of Lance Armstrong.

LOL, I'll agree with that - they do have the same personality (combative and fierce) and so it makes perfect sense that they hate each other. And I would like to see Armstrong bare his teeth and punch someone Hinault-style just one time before he retires!!

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:

Have experienced the welcome committee myself. I get the impression that if you are knew to a forum, then you must be new to cycling, and they obviously know better.
Oh well.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Darrylc said:
Have experienced the welcome committee myself. I get the impression that if you are knew to a forum, then you must be new to cycling, and they obviously know better.
Oh well.

no. they just don't like it when you post a stupid thread, that has been posted about a dozen times already. ;)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
croix_de_fer said:
The Badger never retired, he is back in the form of Lance Armstrong.

Oh no he's not. Armstrong can't hold a candle to Hinault. Hinault rode and won all kinds of race including Paris-Roubaix. He wasn't a one race wonder like LA

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Rosedale said:
Oh no he's not. Armstrong can't hold a candle to Hinault. Hinault rode and won all kinds of race including Paris-Roubaix. He wasn't a one race wonder like LA

ok, just to be fair... if your ONE RACE is the 3-week, 21-stage tour de france and you win it 7 times in a row, you can 'hold a candle' to pretty much anybody.

it's a different era. you have to specialize and peak your fitness for one stage race a year these days. why can't everyone accept that? see: denis menchov.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
We know for sure Levi is on Lance's team, but what about Kloden? Is there too much water under the bridge between him and Lance that he would support Alberto?

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
one race wonder

ilillillli said:
it's a different era. you have to specialize and peak your fitness for one stage race a year these days. why can't everyone accept that? see: denis menchov.

Hmm..... a different era. Like Alberto winning all three within 15 months!

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Johnny Colnago said:
:rolleyes:
livestrong.com is over there ---->

statement of fact = starry-eyed fandom. gotacha.

i'm just saying, love him or hate him, lance has accomplished a fair amount. I'm not saying he's better, but i certainly think it's fair to say he could "hold a candle" to Hinault. but, then again, maybe you and i have different ideas about candles and holding.

it's really going to wear you out to troll every armstrong related comment. just fyi.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
What is it on this forum with the nastiness directed at new people? Did some of you just start out automatically with 300 posts, or what? And yes, this is off-topic, and I know I will be flamed for this, but I will be flamed for starting a new thread too, so what is the difference? :rolleyes:

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hillbilly said:
What is it on this forum with the nastiness directed at new people? Did some of you just start out automatically with 300 posts, or what? And yes, this is off-topic, and I know I will be flamed for this, but I will be flamed for starting a new thread too, so what is the difference? :rolleyes:

And... you're not allowed to like Lance.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
schnebit said:
And... you're not allowed to like Lance.
I am OK with that, don't care too much the one way or the other. However, Lance's presence certainly makes the race more interesting. Without him, everybody would have been certain that Alberto would win and they would probably be right... Ooh, can't wait for the last week!