• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance versus Alberto

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Hillbilly said:
What is it on this forum with the nastiness directed at new people? Did some of you just start out automatically with 300 posts, or what? And yes, this is off-topic, and I know I will be flamed for this, but I will be flamed for starting a new thread too, so what is the difference? :rolleyes:

Thank You!

It seems as if the number of posts dictates the respect one gets? I also know that it does not matter what my response is, the thread will deteriorate very rapidly. But still, here goes:

There are more exceptions to this rule: Pantani won 2 in '98, Big Mig did doubles in '92 and '93. Are these riders part of the modern era?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Hillbilly said:
What is it on this forum with the nastiness directed at new people? Did some of you just start out automatically with 300 posts, or what? And yes, this is off-topic, and I know I will be flamed for this, but I will be flamed for starting a new thread too, so what is the difference? :rolleyes:

hey, i just got flamed on by some jag-off with 2-posts, so the problem's pretty widespread.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:
Thank You!

It seems as if the number of posts dictates the respect one gets? I also know that it does not matter what my response is, the thread will deteriorate very rapidly. But still, here goes:

There are more exceptions to this rule: Pantani won 2 in '98, Big Mig did doubles in '92 and '93. Are these riders part of the modern era?

all I can say is that this behavior is widely spread among internet forums. If you survive the initial hazing, even if your opinion deviates from the forum's inner circle, they'll be less annoyed at your posts.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
cody_57 said:

Induráin's Giros show us the evolution of the Giro becoming too hard and top riders' form becoming too targeted for anyone to win both no matter how good :):

His first year at the Giro, he won both GTs comfortably.

The second year, he won both, but was not the strongest at the Giro, winning it due to a course with few mountains and many time trials, and ran out of gas at the Tour, suffering to hang onto Rominger so much that by the end he was thrashed by Rominger in the final TT. He skipped the extremely lucrative post-tour criteriums because he was too dead to even start in them.

The next year, he did the Giro as a warmup, and the year after that he skipped it entirely

As for Pantani, he won the Tour due to a random off-day by Ullrich and the Giro due to Festina screwing up Zülle's doping programme (explained in detail in Willy Voet's book "A manquer la chaine"). Zülle was by far the stronger rider at that Giro.

Under normal circumstances, Pantani wouldn't have won either. That he won both was tremendous talent, yes, but also tremendous luck. Especially with the case that Fanini recounts with switching his urine with a teammates' to avoid testing positive :p

In the past 15 or so years it's no longer possible to win both unless tremendously rare circumstances conspire.

EDIT: To make it clear, I'm talking about winning the Tour + another GT in the same season. Winning the Giro and the Vuelta is feasible, as there is enough time to lose form and then rebuild it in time to reach your top level again.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
blahblahblah which one of you noobs is gonna buy me lunch?

3721724220_efc7b34acb.jpg

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Hillbilly said:

I think this might have something to do with it (from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/07/07/tour/index.html):

"In the U.S., bike racing is a way out too -- a way out of high school hell for geeky middle-class boys blown off by the jocks and cheerleaders."

Some people still haven't gotten over it.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
question

I get the Versus feed, so everything I see about this tour is absolutely Lance-centric. I do not know what's being said in the team bus, but I do think Johan needs to lay down the law, because if these two dogs keep scrappin', a third may get the bone. Anybody think that's a possibility? Neither can attack without causing an uproar. Not that I think either one cares!:rolleyes:

Personal opinion is that the true battle will have to be in the TT??:confused:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
hey, i just got flamed on by some jag-off with 2-posts, so the problem's pretty widespread.

Firstly - we all have to start somewhere - and the original poster has yet to make their second post! Can you blame them?

Ilillillli - with respect -you complain about getting 'flamed' and yet you find it necessary to incite people by calling them name's- this does nothing to further your point, which I often agree with btw.

The most popular bike race is on at the moment and many people will find their way to this forum for the first time - everyone should try and treat them with some respect.

Attacking others should be left for on the road- not on this forum!

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Attacking others should be left for on the road- not on this forum!

to be fair, i got attacked, i replied with what i thought was all due seriousness. once again, where were you guys when i was getting smoked on my first few posts? i just assumed that's the way things went around here. now i seem to be getting reprimanded by the system that i tried to assimilate to. i'm so confused. ahh! don't worry, i'll shape up.

ilillillli said:
to be fair, i got attacked, i replied with what i thought was all due seriousness. once again, where were you guys when i was getting smoked on my first few posts? i just assumed that's the way things went around here. now i seem to be getting reprimanded by the system that i tried to assimilate to. i'm so confused. ahh! don't worry, i'll shape up.

If it helps, I lol'd at the Geniusy Genius award.

EDIT: But I still want my damn sammich!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:

I actually do remember your very first post on this forum - and it was good, but you got in a spat and made some personal attacks.

I must admit I let you hang out there in the wind as i thought you would learn quickly. Your posts are usually fair and objective- its just the personal stuff to people irrespective of number of posts.

You remind me of this young Spanish kid in my team - always wanting to attack when I want to ride tempo...... but thats a separate story.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I actually do remember your very first post on this forum - and it was good, but you got in a spat and made some personal attacks.

I must admit I let you hang out there in the wind as i thought you would learn quickly. Your posts are usually fair and objective- its just the personal stuff to people irrespective of number of posts.

You remind me of this young Spanish kid in my team - always wanting to attack when I want to ride tempo...... but thats a separate story.

ha. peace.:D

thanks for the notice. i'll admit to still have some pretty strong noobiness to me. i'll work on that...

A

Anonymous

ilillillli said:
if you don't like it, don't read it.

3722093660_8dac22f9ef.jpg

congratulations!

no one asked about? we of course nobody asked, you hardly start a thread with "what does everyone think of this thread"....

had they done of course i would have said, " i think its yet another lance and contador thread of which we already have many" bit like others did..

thanks for the award though, have you be waiting for me to come back so you could give me one.. hope you didnt go to too much effort.. i think its kinda lame.. ;)

A

Anonymous

ilillillli said:
if you don't like it, don't read it.

blablahblahIMG]

congratulations![/quote]

hang on.. whats a noob doing handing out awards.. ya jumped up little twerp. :P

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
hang on.. whats a noob doing handing out awards.. ya jumped up little twerp. :p

Dim - I have a feeling you may not have read through this thread. We have already discussed the issue of starting new threats and also about new members joining.

I think you might get the 'spirit' of Ilillliii's comments if you look back through them. Illilli has already accepted the 10 sec penalty and the 50 Swiss Franc fine!

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
Dim - I have a feeling you may not have read through this thread. We have already discussed the issue of starting new threats and also about new members joining.

I think you might get the 'spirit' of Ilillliii's comments if you look back through them. Illilli has already accepted the 10 sec penalty and the 50 Swiss Franc fine!

oh, no i got bored half way down page two.. :D

TRENDING THREADS