• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's Oz Fee Press Blackout-Bad For Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Moondance said:
Enlighten me Mellow, why do people keep harping on about what Lance may, or may not get paid in appearance fees? Surely it's within the rights of whoever organizes the race to pay whoever they like however much they want?

Why = this such a big deal?

It's public/government money. Which could be better spent on, oh I don't know, fighting cancer?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Enlighten me Mellow, why do people keep harping on about what Lance may, or may not get paid in appearance fees? Surely it's within the rights of whoever organizes the race to pay whoever they like however much they want?

Why = this such a big deal?

It's not a big deal, but they find anything they can to criticize him. Unforunately, in this case Lance isn't the one withholding the figures, it's Rann. His detractors don't realize they are offering him this money to boost international attention to a race that is basically considered a scrimmage. His presence increases ratings tourism, etc, etc. Would anybody outside of cycling care about the Tour Down Under, the Giro, or the Tour of Ireland if Lance weren't there last year? No, but they got a bunch of television coverage, even if ESPN did mispronounce Giro d'italia.

Moondance said:
Well, Lance is hardly to blame for the twisted priorities of politicians worldwide, is he?

Through cherry picking and taking statements out of context, they will find a way.

ImmaculateKadence said:
It's not a big deal, but they find anything they can to criticize him. Unforunately, in this case Lance isn't the one withholding the figures, it's Rann. His detractors don't realize they are offering him this money to boost international attention to a race that is basically considered a scrimmage. His presence increases ratings tourism, etc, etc. Would anybody outside of cycling care about the Tour Down Under, the Giro, or the Tour of Ireland if Lance weren't there last year? No, but they got a bunch of television coverage, even if ESPN did mispronounce Giro d'italia.

Through cherry picking and taking statements out of context, they will find a way.

If it is not a big deal, then it shouldn't be a problem disclosing the amount to the Australian public. It's not about anyone on this forum. The article was written in Australian, presumably by an Australian, who has every right to be concerned.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Moon as you pointed out start money is no big deal. Lance has brought interest and revenue to the TDU. People have speculated how much money Armstrong should give to what cause. If the TDU@million was earmarked for other purposes before hearing about the horrible Haiti situation. The 250.000 he has given has caused people to insinuate that he is a grubby,greedy DB for not reallocating all 1 million for the cause they see most fit. People also are very confused about why Armstrong is the most important figure in bike racing while not actually getting 1st place or holding the highest rankings. His status as the most important bike racer up till now has people in a froth. Many posters have a better knowledge of Armstrong's financial obligations than he does. Foremost gaining this insight through all the "accurate" information available online. Wait until he cracks and doesn't get a top ten at the TDF but still walks away with twice as many euros for his 3 weeks on the bike.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
If it is not a big deal, then it shouldn't be a problem disclosing the amount to the Australian public. It's not about anyone on this forum. The article was written in Australian, presumably by an Australian, who has every right to be concerned.

Your right, but criticize Rann for that, not Lance. He didn't do anything wrong in this instance, and is probably contractually bound not to disclose his earnings for the race.

If Obama was paying Usain Bolt millions to run some track and field event in the US, I would question Obama, not Bolt.

ImmaculateKadence said:
Your right, but criticize Rann for that, not Lance. He didn't do anything wrong in this instance, and is probably contractually bound not to disclose his earnings for the race.

If Obama was paying Usain Bolt millions to run some track and field event in the US, I would question Obama, not Bolt.

I feel you, but the article didn't say anything about Lance, or are you taking issue with Mellow's comments?

If it's the latter, it has more to do with last year's situation, I suspect, than this one since he's abandoned all the pretense that he's returned to raise cancer awareness and instead just wants to recapture old glory.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Every year 1000's of complaints are logged by NYC agencies about the NYC Marathon and what a complete waste of public funds . When the revenues are reported for the weeks before and after the race the few million that is spent for everything from police to trash clean up looks like a bargain. Easier still there was just a "showcase" of all Australia's cycling talent earlier this month, compare the crowds. This is a real pro race and you get what you pay for.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Off topic but it's worth making clear that the 'Lance Effect' on viewing figures is hugely overstated - the TdF/Giro figures have been largely untouched by whether LA was there or not, except that less than a million US viewers tune in. Compared to the millions in mainland Europe it's very small beer. I know it's nice that US fans get to see coverage of some races they wouldn't otherwise but it leaves European coverage utterly unaffected.

Funny.
It appeared to be a big issue when people thought he was dipping into his pocket to help Haiti.
BIG headlines and isn't Lance wonderful.

Must have been a major disappointment to find out it was LAF, not Lance, pledging the money to other associations, for use.

Now, we are dealing with a figure that is at least 5 times the LAF amount and it's going into his back pocket.
This "fee" has as much to do with supporting Rann's political campaign, as racing a bike.
Sure Rann is the instigator, but Lance the beneficiary.

My point being, the Haiti pledge was given out freely, because it depicts Lance in a positive light.
His Oz fee, would have the opposite effect for both men, so it remains a closely guarded secret.

Mellow Velo said:
Funny.
It appeared to be a big issue when people thought he was dipping into his pocket to help Haiti.
BIG headlines and isn't Lance wonderful.

Must have been a major disappointment to find out it was LAF, not Lance, pledging the money to other associations, for use.

Now, we are dealing with a figure that is at least 5 times the LAF amount and it's going into his back pocket.
This "fee" has as much to do with supporting Rann's political campaign, as racing a bike.
Sure Rann is the instigator, but Lance the beneficiary.

My point being, the Haiti pledge was given out freely, because it depicts Lance in a positive light.
His Oz fee, would have the opposite effect for both men, so it remains a closely guarded secret.

That's a fair point.

bianchigirl said:
I know it's nice that US fans get to see coverage of some races they wouldn't otherwise but it leaves European coverage utterly unaffected.

In norway, the national broadcasting corporation nrk, that showed the giro d'italia for the first times in 2007 and 2008, and looked to making it regular, actually dropped it last year. The rights to show it had simply become too expensive, supposedly because the arrangers were asking for more now that they had lance armstrong in it. i was not pleased.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Mello Velo,

Stop pretending that you have some noble interest in this subject. You’re just trying to show LA in a bad light. You’re transparent.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Mello I certainly see your point of view. The citizens of S.Australia want a return for the charges against them. Roads are closed,streets get jammed, people litter and need porta-a-poddies. Cops don't work for free. And don't mistake that Armstrong may be getting the lions share of start money, lots of other riders are getting paid (flights,hotels,start money). The race as a whole has to make sense and money. Otherwise the people will reject it as a pain in the **** (like most places in the US) If anybody thinks he or she is getting elected or will garner more measurable popularity by hanging with Lance we only need to look to George Bush. He rode his Trek with the uniballer. There is nothing sinister about getting paid start money. Bike races of all kinds only succeed because of the good hearts of lots of volunteers.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Seems like the issue has blown up because they were stung last year - thought they were making a nice fat donation to Livestrong/LAF but whoops, it just slipped into Armstrong's back pocket by mistake. Obviously some clued up opposition members have done their research and now paying Armstrong a lot of money to, um, make the PM look good starts to look like politicking and gladhanding. Add in the string of sports stars that have been paid tax payers money to appear with the PM and you have an awkward situation. Bet they wish they'd just made a substantial donation to cancer charities/research/Haiti instead

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I feel you, but the article didn't say anything about Lance, or are you taking issue with Mellow's comments?

If it's the latter, it has more to do with last year's situation, I suspect, than this one since he's abandoned all the pretense that he's returned to raise cancer awareness and instead just wants to recapture old glory.

Originally, I was taking issue with Mellow's comments. I understand your reasoning and after reading Mellow's response, I understand where he's coming from as well. It didn't really come through in the original post.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

Why didn't you say that to begin with I would have been more inclined to agree with you. ;)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
How is this any different to the Government of Victoria paying Tiger Woods $1.5m (AUD) to come to Melbourne and play a round of golf (and a few other things that his wife does not approve of)?

A

Anonymous

Moondance said:
Well, Lance is hardly to blame for the twisted priorities of politicians worldwide, is he?

So you've just admitted that paying an appearance fee was a twisted priority? And do you think Lance was coming anyway and they threw handfuls of money after him, or did he and his people perhaps ask for/demand it? And wasn't it a nice twist that as a non-Australian, Lance backed Rann for reelection?

A

Anonymous

ImmaculateKadence said:

Lots of people cared about the Giro over the past hundred years and Armstrong was only there once, whiting out sponsors on jerseys, helping shut down a stage, boycotting media and complaining about the course.

I don't know that the Tour Of Ireland was televised in America, but Lance didn't bother to finish the race and was surprised when the people waiting in the rain on the last climb got upset.

It's obviously not JUST Rann withholding figures, because Armstrong, for once, isn't talking either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS