• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis coming to Deakin Uni for Doping conference

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
I thought Floyd was in poverty, living off the support of others like his hip doctor. Where is he finding the cash to go to Australia? Lemonde?

Also, how can his comments on a panel balance any discussion on doping? At a university setting, I would expect to see educated experts of note discussing a topic. Not doped up losers seeking a second career of looking at the pot calling the kettle black.

just a point of reference..Snooki from Jersey Shore gets paid 30,000 dollars and more to show up to a party in Manhattan, and she gets a free bottle of booze that would cost anybody else 350 dollars plus mixers.Not bad for a couple hours work. Hotel,airfare and an a small fee of 5k is nothing for people in the PR business. Nadal went to club and was paid 60k to appear with his latest trophy. During Fashion Week there are parties that cost 400,000 dollars. Flandis getting to stay in a flea bag caravan and getting a couple of Coopers and some Roo is no big deal..Landis brings new meaning to meat pie

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Rather Landis got $100,000 (or whatever the going rate)* for speaking the truth about doping then some others who speak with a forked tongue.

*these institutes don't have this money to pay for speakers, it is usually from sponsors. and i imagine Amgen aint sponsoring this one:rolleyes:

Benotti69 said:
Rather Landis got $100,000 (or whatever the going rate)* for speaking the truth about doping then some others who speak with a forked tongue.

*these institutes don't have this money to pay for speakers, it is usually from sponsors. and i imagine Amgen aint sponsoring this one:rolleyes:

Get Lance down there at pay him 3m to speak. They would get so much more out of the conference with Lance there. What could Landis possibly add to the conversation other than the truth?

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
**Uru** said:
I thought Floyd was in poverty, living off the support of others like his hip doctor. Where is he finding the cash to go to Australia? Lemonde?

Also, how can his comments on a panel balance any discussion on doping? At a university setting, I would expect to see educated experts of note discussing a topic. Not doped up losers seeking a second career of looking at the pot calling the kettle black.

You're right.

It really is a waste of time to have someone who has been in the inside circle of the biggest fraud in sporting history and who knows better than just about anyone how certain people have been getting away with doping to the gills for years now and defrauding millions for millions.

It would be better to have a bunch of chemistry lab experts with a lot of book knowledge and no real experience tell people what is "really" going on and lead the discussions on doping.

Thank you for your intelligent comment. Bravo

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Deakin University definetly would not be able to pay him anything susbstantial!

From the other information provided, it sounds like you don't know what you are talking about...imagine that...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I believe Lance paid his way and he will be dropped off for lunch in the Outback.

I understand there is a difference between the USA/ AUS definitions of Outback.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Black-Balled said:
I believe Lance paid his way and he will be dropped off for lunch in the Outback.

I understand there is a difference between the USA/ AUS definitions of Outback.

in the Outback vs. at the Outback :D

"No rules - just right"

or something like that?

All Floyd BASHING/defending aside, the conference website is
http://newcyclingpathway.auskadi.mjzhosting.org/index.html

From that site, possible session themes for the conference include:

1. New Pathways for Pro Cycling – Presentation of Deakin University Research Report.

2. Life after Operacion Puerto – What was Puerto and how can we move on?

3. Cycling: Ethics and Values.

4. We Might, As Well, Not Win – The coming logic of sport – sustainability for all rather than winning at all costs.

5. The Big Picture: the Economics, Workplace Conditions and Relations of Pro Cycling

6. Cycling can only be written – cycling and the written word.

7. Why we don't dope!

8. New Pathways in Cycling Science.

9. Cycling in the Context of National Sports Policies.

10. Cycling and / in the Media.

11. Cycling, Culture and Myth

12. Other topics might include and be related to the globalisation of pro cycling, health, science and medicine, ethics and the philosophy of cycling, cycling lore and law, the politics and logistics of race organisation, and technology and rules development.

IF any of that sounds boring, having Floyd present will be sure to attract some interest and/or visibility. Just look at this thread. Not a bad move by the organizers of the conference.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I bet they'll say he is broke and needs the speaking fee.

auscyclefan94 said:
Deakin University definetly would not be able to pay him anything susbstantial!

My understanding is FL is paying for himself

The australian govt is not funding the conference, indeed Cycling Australia are not too happy and lending pressure. The guy running it is completing his phd dissertation on the Puerto imbroglio.

All the delegates are coming of their own accord because they are intrinsically invested in the sport, not cos of any pecuniary interest.

I have pretty reasonable mail on this issue and the conference. The link to the website outlines much, but the context speculated herein by posters has been incorrect.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Think Floyd will have revelations about American riders riding the worlds there in geelong?

NO he would quell anymore chances at public speaking if he called people out at an event face to face..he needs about 5 to 10 years running room.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
My understanding is FL is paying for himself
The australian govt is not funding the conference, indeed Cycling Australia are not too happy and lending pressure. The guy running it is completing his phd dissertation on the Puerto imbroglio.

All the delegates are coming of their own accord because they are intrinsically invested in the sport, not cos of any pecuniary interest.

I have pretty reasonable mail on this issue and the conference. The link to the website outlines much, but the context speculated herein by posters has been incorrect.

Thanks for the information.

What's sad is if this is true it still won't stop the bashing...

If all that is said about his lack of income these days is also true, then getting himself to Australia and back by his own means really is a pretty big deal. Good on him.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that the conference will have live streaming online.

We will video stream the conference at: http://www.newcyclingpathway.com.

For more information go to the New Cycling Pathways Conference web site at: http://newcyclingpathway.auskadi.mjzhosting.org/

The organizers of the World Championships haven't taken the news well.

The world championships committee had withdrawn its support for the conference, which would include anti-doping speakers on its agenda, and had demanded organizers withdraw their invitation to Landis, the paper said.

"Providing Floyd Landis with a soapbox to deliver a tirade like he did on the eve of the Tour of California is not something the world championship organizers want," the committee's media director David Culbert told the paper.

"But we believe it is inappropriate to have Floyd Landis attend the world championships, particularly when the federal investigation in the U.S. into his allegation is still ongoing."

Conference organizer Martin Hardie would not withdraw Landis's invitation, the paper said.

"We've invited people throughout the cycling world to an open forum without retribution and recrimination," he said. "I expect Floyd to be there."

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sport...17?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

theswordsman said:
Don't forget that the conference will have live streaming online.

We will video stream the conference at: http://www.newcyclingpathway.com.

For more information go to the New Cycling Pathways Conference web site at: http://newcyclingpathway.auskadi.mjzhosting.org/

The organizers of the World Championships haven't taken the news well.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sport...17?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

So it's OK for Pat McQuaid to be there (Geelong/Melbourne) sprouting his nonsense, but not FLandis?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think Floyd will improve relations with American riders and the pro-peloton immensly. I will buy one of floyds plastic bracelets. I think it will be black, have an American flag in it and a blazing yellow message saying cheater 06next to the tour de france logo.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
“Providing Floyd Landis with a soapbox to deliver a tirade like he did on the eve of the Tour of California is not something the world championship organisers want,"

Poor Floyd...so sad:( He could always give his speech to his mom.

"“Providing Floyd Landis with a soapbox to deliver a tirade like he did on the eve of the Tour of California is not something the world championship organisers want"

I was not aware that Landis had delivered any kind of tirade before the ToC. I recall that someone -- speculated to be the UCI -- spread around emails he'd sent privately.

And now the organizers of the UCI WC are complaining about it? Hmmm, not the first instance of hypocrisy from that camp.

-dB

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
“Providing Floyd Landis with a soapbox to deliver a tirade like he did on the eve of the Tour of California is not something the world championship organisers want,"

Poor Floyd...so sad:( He could always give his speech to his mom.

don't know why but you and a certain cobblestoned seem to have been produced by the same momma ;)

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
A statement from Floyd Landis about the conference

http://www.newcyclingpathway.com/news/blog/statement-by-floyd-landis-18-september-2010

Here's a sample:

That said, my knowledge and participation in the culture that the conference is seeking to improve, and my work with the conference organizers in that regard, is exactly the type of partnership that can and will deliver effective, progressive, relevant analysis that can be used to begin the process of repairing the currently broken sport of cycling and its governing institutions.

Indeed, the behavior and comments of the persons and organizations that seek to shut down the conference as a consequence of my participation demonstrate that they are interested only in selfishly perpetuating their own positions and purported authority at the expense of progressive reform and in total disregard of the sport’s long-term interests, including those of the riders and fans, which they are charged to protect.

Attempts by others to make that process into something other than I have described above, and to discredit my current efforts by pointing to my past mistakes (which I have acknowledged), simply represent their continuing, misplaced, misguided and fear-driven efforts to temporarily sustain a manufactured truth that does not square with reality of their life.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
python said:
don't know why but you and a certain cobblestoned seem to have been produced by the same momma ;)

I knew there was a reason you take the name of a snake...good to see you have moved from an injured rider avatar to one of your hero:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS