• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis considers return to Tour de France

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
"If I went back to the Tour de France the objective would be to win it again," Landis said. "And the objective would be for the resulting win to give me some time to enjoy it rather than the way it played out last time.

"I would like to win the race and go home and spend time with everybody that supported me and enjoy it rather than spending the next couple of years defending how I won it."

Landis, whose 2006 Tour title was taken from him after he failed a dope test, says he will decide soon whether to take aim at the 2010 Tour.

Go for it, Floyd! You'll be following "another" American's '09 victory...just like last time.

Competition is for the Competent.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Like his Texas mate he needs to get a life and face reality.....they are both toast.......Contador and Basso are reality........

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
last km said:
Like his Texas mate he needs to get a life and face reality.....they are both toast.......Contador and Basso are reality........

How about this reality

Landis 1 TdF victory
Texas mate 7 TdF victories

Contador and Basso between them 1TdF victory

Would you like a little butter on that? or some vegemite?

Better yet, let's see what happens come late July of this year and late July of next year...fair enough? I'd be happy to remind you, "last km." You'll still be around, right? We could call this a "gentleman's bet." If my calculations are correct, the odd's would be in your favor...two against one, at least for this year.

Competition is for the competent.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Landis said:
"I would like to win the race and go home and spend time with everybody that supported me and enjoy it rather than spending the next couple of years defending how I won it."

Here's some advice for "next time" Landis:
1) Don't do the deed if you can't afford to spend the next couple of years defending your alleged victory.
2) Try to avoid having Lemond testify for or against you. It's always a no win when your business partner threatens the witness by going public with childhood abuse allegations and then the witness follows through by being seen as a resentful bitter a-hole despite his cycling accomplishments.
3) Surround yourself with clean riders and a super clean D.S.

But, maybe I have it wrong, and you just needed a better lawyer and more compelling evidence. Still, more power to you for getting back on your bike and riding for a living.

Either way, riding a bike will always beat the hell out of CAS hearings.

2010's shaping up to be an interesting year. Such drama, and it's only 2009. :eek:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not Landis's choice.

You wouldn't welcome someone who came to your house for a summer BBQ and then trashed the place would you? ASO is the same, Given the way he humiliated the Tour de France organisers in associating their prize event with yet another doping scandal, he's not going to come back.

Look at Basso, he may ride it one day but he's spending all his time in a communications exercise to convince people he is sorry and trying to ride clean, whether it is working with Aldo Sassi or Twittering gentle thoughts.

Landis hasn't even written a note of apology to ASO.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Landis should be banned for life, not just from the tour but cycling at all levels. The damage he has caused our sport will take a generation to repair. The UCI are far too lenient.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Stani Kléber said:
It's not Landis's choice.

You wouldn't welcome someone who came to your house for a summer BBQ and then trashed the place would you? ASO is the same, Given the way he humiliated the Tour de France organisers in associating their prize event with yet another doping scandal, he's not going to come back.

Look at Basso, he may ride it one day but he's spending all his time in a communications exercise to convince people he is sorry and trying to ride clean, whether it is working with Aldo Sassi or Twittering gentle thoughts.

Landis hasn't even written a note of apology to ASO.

He hasn't apologized because in his own head( :confused: ) he is innocent.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Stani Kléber said:

Testing of the 1999 samples scientifically proved that Armstrong was doping yet the ASO is letting The Cancer ride this year. Armstrong did more to discredit the TdF results than Landis ever did.

I will place a bet that Basso will ride the TdF next year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
How about this reality

Landis 1 TdF victory
Texas mate 7 TdF victories

Contador and Basso between them 1TdF victory

Would you like a little butter on that? or some vegemite?

Better yet, let's see what happens come late July of this year and late July of next year...fair enough? I'd be happy to remind you, "last km." You'll still be around, right? We could call this a "gentleman's bet." If my calculations are correct, the odd's would be in your favor...two against one, at least for this year.

Competition is for the competent.

How about this for a fact

Floyd Landis 0 Wins

He was disqualified and the race awarded to the second placed rider, who didnt cheat.

A

Anonymous

Robert Merivel said:
How about this reality

Landis 1 TdF victory

Hey genius, he didn't win the TdF. He cheated and then lied about it like the little junkie he is, and he was stripped of his title. He is an unrepentant needle freak who will use junk as long as he can get away with it.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Also consider the ages of, especially, Armstrong and Landis. I'm expecting Contador to smoke Lance in July. It'll be such an embarrassment to Texas.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Amazingly, in the Tour of California, there were more "Lance haters" than anti-Floyd or Hamilton folks. Granted Floyd lives in California, but c'mon...Floyd was treated like a hero. What a joke: Both Floyd and Hamilton should just come clean and get past the whole thing (ala David Millar).

The funny thing is that Lance has been off the bike for some time, and raced at the top of the field in California. Floyd and Hamilton have been off the bike as well...but somehow can't quite get to the top of the leaderboard.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that Floyd and Hamilton are "convicted" dopers, who are now riding clean (allegedly)? Strange, that now Floyd and Hamilton are, essentially, professional pack fodder.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Shut up Floyd!!

Dude, you are an embarrassing 0-2 (ToC, Mexico), AND you are on the cover of Velo News talking big sh&t. Seriously, you have no credibility. Try coming back with a little class and style, quietly. Win something, or at least finish ahead of your domestiques in a stage race before you start popping off again. Maybe you should be working for Roman.

Ouch! will not race the tour next year, so how are you going to go? What ProTour team will sign you? Do you plan on showing that you can still race, or just continue talking about it?

So over you.....

Love,
Oakland.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Tom Morris said:
Testing of the 1999 samples scientifically proved that Armstrong was doping yet the ASO is letting The Cancer ride this year. Armstrong did more to discredit the TdF results than Landis ever did.

I will place a bet that Basso will ride the TdF next year.

Look, you can hate on Lance all you want, be referring to him as "the cancer" is complete bull***t. What he has done for people who have dealt with cancer can never be quantified. Obviously you are not one of these people, instead some dirtbag taking cheap shots at him. You don't like him, we get it, and while I'm not sure I understand the "Lance Haters", I understand that making fun of cancer or those affected by it can at minimum be considered reprehensible.

I won't be roped into another conversation about 1999 though....:D

I agree that Landis will never get to ride the Tour again, but I'm a little upset about it.

I think that, once convicted cyclists serve their prescribed time (which he did), they should be allowed to race again. I'm not really a Landis fan, but I don't like that the ProTour picks and chooses which riders will get informal extended bans.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
2010 TdF Podium:
Armstrong
Basso
Landis

Supporting Cast:
Contador
Valverde
Kloden
Vino
etc...

All we need now is for King Tubby to return and we'll have the full house.

Pro cycling deserves the cesspit that it's found itself in