• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis the prevaricator

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MarkvW said:
I'm certainly not arguing that Floyd is equivalent to Lance. Lance was way worse than Floyd.

However, Floyd helped Lance cheat knowing EXACTLY how bad Lance was. That doesn't say very much for Floyd.

Floyd walked into the confessional and confessed his sins-- at right about the same time he filed his lawsuit based upon that exact same confession. Floyd's confession doesn't score him ANY bonus points. I'm glad that Floyd finally came clean (at least in part), but I'm not going to canonize him for it.

Link please.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Floyd is 100 men more than Lance. Lance is still lying. I really wish he'd admit and be honest to his fans. Especially the ones that haven given money to him and his products. They deserve to know the truth and the extent of the doping and lies told. Its the right thing to do.

Floyd is miles above Lance. Good and Bad are a Western mindset. Real life is not dualistic as you're trying to pitch. You want both of them to be bad. But they are not.

Floyd is neither good or bad.

Lance is just downright bad to the core. Doesn't know how to be good. Doesn't even know what it is. Can't do it. Its all about personal gain.

Floyd is on a journey to make things right. He's learning. He's being human and his gained very little from his honesty but he knows its the right path.

Lance is still lying and telling a version of events which suits him financially. Sad. So bad. Pure badness. The guy should set himself free and just be honest to himself. He should at least be honest and help his friend Johan who is in a lot of trouble now. Do you think he can help a friend? Time will tell.

Has to make you wonder. Was it all worth it?

I think history will judge Floyd well. Armstrong will just become irrelevant and forgotten.

Well, a friend just did the Mt. Baldy Etape, a few weeks ago. Long story sort, my friend did the ride, second year in row, loved it the comraderie, difficulty of course and all that. He finished his provided Lunch and was walking out of the luncheon picnic area about an hour after completion of his ride. He sees this guy, kinda chubby climbing up the hill to the finish line and looks from a distance, and says hey wait a minute, looks like Floyd, and by golly juniper it is our Floyd, riding to the finish on a clunker racing bike all smiles. Hotwarming brought great bellows of laughter from anyone who saw Floyds' finish.
Imagine this, Lance does a tell all book, co-written by Floyd and preficed by Johann. Imagine Lance donating the profits of the book, to cover any inconveniences Floyd has experienced since 2006. Imagine. That would elevate Lances status. Eh?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Don Johnson said:
Well, a friend just did the Mt. Baldy Etape, a few weeks ago. Long story sort, my friend did the ride, second year in row, loved it the comraderie, difficulty of course and all that. He finished his provided Lunch and was walking out of the luncheon picnic area about an hour after completion of his ride. He sees this guy, kinda chubby climbing up the hill to the finish line and looks from a distance, and says hey wait a minute, looks like Floyd, and by golly juniper it is our Floyd, riding to the finish on a clunker racing bike all smiles. Hotwarming brought great bellows of laughter from anyone who saw Floyds' finish.
Imagine this, Lance does a tell all book, co-written by Floyd and preficed by Johann. Imagine Lance donating the profits of the book, to cover any inconveniences Floyd has experienced since 2006. Imagine. That would elevate Lances status. Eh?

That bike is not a clunker, It is a Pegoretti.

It sounds like you are pretending that Floyd was riding slow and is out of shape. He cruised the whole day, taking pictures with dozens of fans. Paced some friends. Had a good time. You probably also saw Wold Champion, and Olympic Medalist, Mari Holden riding the same pace...having a fun day.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

It sounds like you are pretending that Floyd was riding slow and is out of shape. He cruised the whole day, taking pictures with dozens of fans. Paced some friends. Had a good time. You probably also saw Wold Champion, and Olympic Medalist, Mari Holden riding the same pace...having a fun day.

I was just about to ask what he would define as a "clunker" race bike. And I'm not sure what hotwarming is.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:

No, I would never say Floyd is/was ever slow. I know he was out there having a great time, that's what these grandfondo/sportif type rides are all about, not a race!
Thank you for straightening me out on his bike, Pegorettis are the kind, I am jealous and I was not there, only heard from a friend.
He is riding a 1976 Vittus, I checked it out maybe mavic weinman, simplex equipped. Maybe Universal brakes, but cherry. The original French Allunimum racing bike, natural finish.

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It is interesting how people attack guys like Landis, DeCanio, Tyler but as time rolls along many of the people they have name dropped have been getting busted.

roadfreak44 said:
I cant help but wonder why cycling news is still printing anything that lying scumbag Landis has to offer. He has admitted to lying, was convicted of hacking the afld lab computers and was caught tampering with a witness in the usada case against him when he treatened lemond with disclosure of child abuse history. That si a federal felkony offnese...funny thta usada didnt say anything aobut it...ah the deals people make...fiurther proof of his shining character..He was so remorseful about his doping that he came clean by choosing to offer "further proof" only when armstrong was about to start the tour of california and then again at the tour de france..just coincidence folks...why is this ****** still given any credence or any news coverage? It is sickening...

Roadfreak = Roadhouse?

Zam_Olyas said:
:D
Chade O. Grey ‏ @GreyManrod
@millarmind @klierandreas @UCI_Overlord incidentally I'm listening to "I'm a Hypocrit" by "David Millar is Full of ****"

In fairness whatever people want to say about Landis, what Millar and Wiggins did was a disgrace. So he's perfectly correct to make those comments.

earlfoss said:
It is interesting how people attack guys like Landis, DeCanio, Tyler but as time rolls along many of the people they have name dropped have been getting busted.

Over time, if you are not practicing some kind of crazy denial, you'll discover the UCI picks some riders to defend to levels of absurdity that discredit the UCI and the sport in general. You'll also discover that the UCI picks other riders to either relentlessly pursue sketchy doping allegations across the globe over many many years, or swiftly kick other riders out and then personally attack them for years. With no rhyme or reason to any of it, including the fact some of the riders were actually dopers, or not.

Don,

You've never been to a Gran Fondo then? Because there's quite a number of riders who treat them exactly like a race. Crazy? For sure. But, the UCI encourages this kind of thinking. There's good money to be made pretending. Having Landis and Holden there is a good way to attract a few more participants. It's a pretty well tried-and-true event marketing model.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
earlfoss said:

People don't really attack Decanio. Decanio's just a bit friggin CrAzY.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Over time, if you are not practicing some kind of crazy denial, you'll discover the UCI picks some riders to defend to levels of absurdity that discredit the UCI and the sport in general. You'll also discover that the UCI picks other riders to either relentlessly pursue sketchy doping allegations across the globe over many many years, or swiftly kick other riders out and then personally attack them for years. With no rhyme or reason to any of it, including the fact some of the riders were actually dopers, or not.

All true. The phrase "follow the money" comes to mind.

Don,

You've never been to a Gran Fondo then? Because there's quite a number of riders who treat them exactly like a race. Crazy? For sure. But, the UCI encourages this kind of thinking. There's good money to be made pretending. Having Landis and Holden there is a good way to attract a few more participants. It's a pretty well tried-and-true event marketing model.
This is kind of a tangential point, but I think there should be more gran fondoes. It's a brilliant concept: a regional cycling event open to all that stars participate in. Local teams, Joe Blow cycling enthusiast, and everyone in-between, get to "race" while the pro stars hold court, signing autographs, popping wheelies, posing for pictures, their teeth gleaming like their muscles in the sun. Afterwards, Joe and his team (aka friends) can say, yeah, that was pretty much a race.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
There are different types of Gran Fondos.
The one I saw from Italy, the guys were going hard, and the top finishers were televised,( I saw on CYCLINGTV.) Some are for charity,(Levis, sponsored stage in this years ToC, gives money to youth groups and animal protection, and another one I rode that was poorly equipped without enough food or water106o wow, heat stroke, that was for profit only.)
Like I said, Floyd rides the Baldy Etape. He has outted riders, who are still in the sport, and retired riders teams. He thumbed his nose at the ToC/if Floyd feels good about rideng the etape more power to him.

I think having banned riders like Ullrich, Rico, DiLucca(while he was banned, same with Rebbelin) riding and racing fondos, is sending the wrong message.

Especially bad when people are betting on banned riders(double bad.)

For a rider like me I like riding with pros and ex pros, that is why I ride them, and to elevate cycling to the general public.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Don Johnson said:
Like I said, Floyd rides the Baldy Etape. He has outted riders, who are still in the sport, and retired riders teams. He thumbed his nose at the ToC/if Floyd feels good about rideng the etape more power to him.

Floyd was invited to the Etape by the organizers of the Tour of California. They gave him a special kit to wear, transport, took lots of pictures that they gave to media world wide.

That should tell you what they, and most, fans think of Floyd. He is an asset to the sport, not a liability

Race Radio said:
Floyd was invited to the Etape by the organizers of the Tour of California. They gave him a special kit to wear, transport, took lots of pictures that they gave to media world wide.

That should tell you what they, and most, fans think of Floyd. He is an asset to the sport, not a liability

I'm not disagreeing with you. Only in cycling can a dirty long-term spectacular dope cheat be an asset to the sport. I am sure that Floyd is an asset! :D

Shows how very far gone the filthy sport is. It's so deliciously corrupt!

Don Johnson said:
There are different types of Gran Fondos.
The one I saw from Italy, the guys were going hard, and the top finishers were televised,( I saw on CYCLINGTV.) Some are for charity,(Levis, sponsored stage in this years ToC, gives money to youth groups and animal protection, and another one I rode that was poorly equipped without enough food or water106o wow, heat stroke, that was for profit only.)

I think having banned riders like Ullrich, Rico, DiLucca(while he was banned, same with Rebbelin) riding and racing fondos, is sending the wrong message.

Especially bad when people are betting on banned riders(double bad.)

For a rider like me I like riding with pros and ex pros, that is why I ride them, and to elevate cycling to the general public.

So an ex-rider who "outs" dopers (breaks omerta) is bad and should be shunned. Ex-riders who have been caught served their time and are no longer doping or racing, but rather just going out and riding with the fans are also
bad for the sport. Who is "good for the sport"? All the guys who are still racing, still doping, still lying, and still upholding omerta. Not your turn to use the brain this week I see.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS