• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis threatened?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
What Dr. Michele is ill??

My thoughts and prayers are with the Ferrari family at this difficult time...

Has Bruyneel been in a terrible accident?

Wait, he must mean Weisel and that tragic money-counting injury has gone staph...

I agree, some people are dying everyday.

Jimmy Riddle

BANNED
Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The only reason Armstrong is involved with cancer is to make money for himself and to have his ego stroked. I think we all, including BPC, can agree with that.

You don't really believe that though. It just makes it neat and tidy for you to pretend this is true, and ensures you don't have to feel any guilt about the way you spend your life attacking him.

It says more about you that you need to ignore the complex truth and prefer to pretend he is some type of serial killer.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
this_is_edie said:
I would be very worried if I were...some of the soigneurs. Who probably moved the merchandise around? the soigneurs.

Absolutely. The feds, Novitzky esp., have just got to talk to that Polish guy Ryszard Kielpinski, the longtime Postal/Discovery soigneur, and still Lance's soigneur.

Very likely the conduit of his PED's. This guy has been there and seen it all over many years.

Should be relatively easy to charge with perjury.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Jimmy Riddle said:
You don't really believe that though. It just makes it neat and tidy for you to pretend this is true, and ensures you don't have to feel any guilt about the way you spend your life attacking him.

It says more about you that you need to ignore the complex truth and prefer to pretend he is some type of serial killer.

Read this very telling interview from 2001. GM of Tailwind Sports talking about the US Postal sponsorship and why Lance's story sells so well.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/interviews/markgorski01.shtml

It's not just about the bike. It's also about the cancer. The reason he's so involved with his cancer charity is because it benefits him financially.

If Lance donated large sums of his own money to his charity and took no speaking fees for himself when attending his fundraising events, he'd have a more defensible position. As it is, his charity exists to help Lance make more money by keeping his marketable image as a cancer survivor alive in the public's mind - and all this is paid for by his charity.

And the saddest story of all? Lance's own doping with testosterone (which he admitted to his doctors) was probably a contributor to his testicular cancer in the first place. A complete circle around doping, and cancer. But it all started with doping.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Jimmy Riddle said:

Not all sociopaths become serial killers. He seems to manifest standard textbook criteria for this tragic disorder. And Lance is the one who appears to have been living an illusion. It looks as if his house of cards will soon collapse, as much as I wish it weren't true. That is, I am sad he doesn't appear authentic.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Tubeless said:
Read this very telling interview from 2001. GM of Tailwind Sports talking about the US Postal sponsorship and why Lance's story sells so well.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/interviews/markgorski01.shtml

It's not just about the bike. It's also about the cancer. The reason he's so involved with his cancer charity is because it benefits him financially.

If Lance donated large sums of his own money to his charity and took no speaking fees for himself when attending his fundraising events, he'd have a more defensible position. As it is, his charity exists to help Lance make more money by keeping his marketable image as a cancer survivor alive in the public's mind - and all this is paid for by his charity.

And the saddest story of all? Lance's own doping with testosterone (which he admitted to his doctors) was probably a contributor to his testicular cancer in the first place. A complete circle around doping, and cancer. But it all started with doping.

Yep, one of the most important questions to objectively ask, about any matter meriting investigation, is cui bono, i.e., who benefits? Follow the money trail. It rarely lies.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The only reason Armstrong is involved with cancer is to make money for himself and to have his ego stroked. I think we all, including BPC, can agree with that.

does anyone ever wonder if BPC is one of LA's lackey's (charity workers) assigned to this and other forums for his 30 silver pieces, which at todays rates is not much.....Dude get out and fight the cancer aint that the goal..fight the cancer:rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
does anyone ever wonder if BPC is one of LA's lackey's (charity workers) assigned to this and other forums for his 30 silver pieces, which at todays rates is not much.....Dude get out and fight the cancer aint that the goal..fight the cancer:rolleyes:

Thought that for a while, but now it is clear that genius/Sociopath is the most likely explanation

LA is not a sociopath. describing him as such is EXACTLY what he would like because people will tune you out before ever listening to the facts.

he IS a guy who took some shortcuts and reaped a few rewards. he got a taste for it and continued further down that path. he made the mistake of thinking he could continue cheating/winning/shielding and it has spiraled out of his control. he is intelligent and quite rational, his character flaws are mostly greed and hubris. he only acts as a bully to protect his status, it's not his first impulse.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
LA is not a sociopath. describing him as such is EXACTLY what he would like because people will tune you out before ever listening to the facts.

he IS a guy who took some shortcuts and reaped a few rewards. he got a taste for it and continued further down that path. he made the mistake of thinking he could continue cheating/winning/shielding and it has spiraled out of his control. he is intelligent and quite rational, his character flaws are mostly greed and hubris. he only acts as a bully to protect his status, it's not his first impulse.
these traits are precisely why he has towered over the peloton for all these years, and is not unlike other patrons of the past.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
lean said:

I believe Race was talking about the resident troll idiot.

However I have often described Lance as a Sociopath:

* Persistent lying or stealing - check
* Apparent lack of remorse[3] or empathy for others - check
* Cruelty to animals[4] - not that we know of
* Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper - Oh God yes....
* A history of childhood conduct disorder - Probably
* Recurring difficulties with the law - Hopefully soon
* Tendency to violate the boundaries and rights of others - Definitely
* Substance abuse - Too right!
* Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights - Come down here and say that to my face!
* Inability to tolerate boredom - Comeback 2.0
* Disregard for safety - yep.

I also think he displays numerous characteristis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
* Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
* Requires excessive admiration
* Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
* Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
* Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
* Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
* Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.

Twitter seems to be the ideal tool for the modern narcissist and attention wh*re.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I know this has already been said but the “genius/sociopath” comment was referring to Ban Pro Cycling/Arbiter/numerous other user names.
LA may be a sociopath (see above posts) but he is no genius….

You look at how he has played the “cancer card” and realize that he has been very adept at producing an image that far too many have bought into. I just watched “Race Across the Sky” last night and was a tad mortified at how the race director of the Leadville 100 was acting like just another fan-boy throughout the whole documentary.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

* Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper - Oh God yes....
* Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights - Come down here and say that to my face!

I also think he displays numerous characteristis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

* Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
* Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
* Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
* Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
* Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

Twitter seems to be the ideal tool for the modern narcissist and attention wh*re.

i think this fits most of the members here;)

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

http://novakeo.com/?p=6003

"Have we considered the dangers the unchallenged presence of psychopaths present when combined with the tendency in most of us to defer to authority?
If winning is the only thing that matters there is nothing you will not do. Recognizing no limits, psychopaths ignore the damage to others. As any small, determined group can change the world for the good, as Margaret Mead said, so a small number of individuals could destroy it. We need, therefore to limit the access of psychopaths to power while identifying them to the public."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7488732/Would-you-torture-this-man.html

Deagol said:
I know this has already been said but the “genius/sociopath” comment was referring to Ban Pro Cycling/Arbiter/numerous other user names.

there were numerous references to LA being a sociopath prior to that, go back just 1 or 2 pages.

i've taken a few psychology courses in my day so mental health issues are not an area of weakness. diagnosis of sociopathy comes from direct interviews with trained professionals based upon criteria outlined in the DSM IV. even then, there's healthy debate between qualified mental health professionals. labeling sociopathy from great distance with such certainty based upon soundbites while emotionally charged is ill-advised to say the least.

not defending LA, far from it. wild accusations only help his PR machine descredit forums as a place where kooks create conspiracy tho. i would like to see the truth of LA's past revealed but can't help but have mixed feelings about the disappointment cancer sufferers who naively latch on to the livestrong message of hope will feel when they're told there's no easter bunny. if you aren't conflicted about that or if you don't feel some sympathy for those folks, you come off as a.....what's the word......a sociopath? ;) the truth is indeed complex and uncomfortable.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
there were numerous references to LA being a sociopath prior to that, go back just 1 or 2 pages.

i've taken a few psychology courses in my day so mental health issues are not an area of weakness. diagnosis of sociopathy comes from direct interviews with trained professionals based upon criteria outlined in the DSM IV. even then, there's healthy debate between qualified mental health professionals. labeling sociopathy from great distance with such certainty based upon soundbites while emotionally charged is ill-advised to say the least.

not defending LA, far from it. wild accusations only help his PR machine descredit forums as a place where kooks create conspiracy tho. i would like to see the truth of LA's past revealed but can't help but have mixed feelings about the disappointment cancer sufferers who naively latch on to the livestrong message of hope will feel when they're told there's no easter bunny. if you aren't conflicted about that or if you don't feel some sympathy for those folks, you come off as a.....what's the word......a sociopath? ;) the truth is indeed complex and uncomfortable.

While we should feel personal conflict about the disappointment to others the reality is the truth is more important. LA's "charities", the real and the profitable; are far from the only philanthropic vehicles used for personal gain by cynical, greedy people.
Outing such a manipulation might just be the BEST thing that comes from any investigation. The exact amount of personal income he nets from "charitable activities" would certainly be one of the most damaging things to his reputation and an acceptable substitute for jail time IMO.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
While we should feel personal conflict about the disappointment to others the reality is the truth is more important. LA's "charities", the real and the profitable; are far from the only philanthropic vehicles used for personal gain by cynical, greedy people.
Outing such a manipulation might just be the BEST thing that comes from any investigation. The exact amount of personal income he nets from "charitable activities" would certainly be one of the most damaging things to his reputation and an acceptable substitute for jail time IMO.

i am of the opinion that LA does not care as much for the 'fight' against cancer as he likes to promote......i see it as an excuse and a vehicle to make him into some semi-deity and therefore untouchable because to bring this guy down would destroy the 'fight' against cancer....

Paul Kimmage hit the nail on the head when he described him as The Cancer.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
lean said:

OK, but the comment RE: BPC wasn't from me.
RE: the cancer thing, a very close relative of mine just died from the disease last month, so I feel an absolute, strong permanent connection to the cause (the true cause). Unfortunately, riding a bike, no mater how well, doesn't really do anything against the disease. The real thing that did help was an experimental drug from Roche, to be specific.

TRENDING THREADS