• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lappartient is worse for cycling than Cookson?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Using race radios only for Comissaire communication (i.e., warning riders of conditions, announcing splits, etc) would be the absolute best thing that could happen to the sport. Races would become tactical again and that means exciting for all the right reasons!

John Swanson

Re:

ScienceIsCool said:
Using race radios only for Comissaire communication (i.e., warning riders of conditions, announcing splits, etc) would be the absolute best thing that could happen to the sport. Races would become tactical again and that means exciting for all the right reasons!

John Swanson

This exactly. Use the radios as a one way deal from the Race Referee to the riders to keep them informed of road conditions etc... No communication via radio to team cars from riders. If you need something, drop back to the car, and learn to read the race.
Banning power meters would be a cherry on top.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

papisimo98 said:
ScienceIsCool said:

John Swanson

This exactly. Use the radios as a one way deal from the Race Referee to the riders to keep them informed of road conditions etc... No communication via radio to team cars from riders. If you need something, drop back to the car, and learn to read the race.
Banning power meters would be a cherry on top.

This ^^. Ban Rider DS communication and power meters.

Lappartient:
"We need to get everyone around the table and work out how we can increase the revenue of cycling, while we must also discuss how we share these revenues.

"In some places, we might have to compromise.

"It would be good to have a system where the UCI can organise and sell some television rights, working with the organisers on a voluntary basis, which would be a good way to increase the revenues.

"One organiser is able to earn money, which is good for them, but if you take the other organisers some of them are not in a strong situation, as well as teams.

"We need to create value and share it in our sport, otherwise we will never solve the problem."

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Lappartient:
"We need to get everyone around the table and work out how we can increase the revenue of cycling, while we must also discuss how we share these revenues.

"It would be good to have a system where the UCI can organise and sell some television rights, working with the organisers on a voluntary basis, which would be a good way to increase the revenues.

"One organiser is able to earn money, which is good for them, but if you take the other organisers some of them are not in a strong situation, as well as teams.

"We need to create value and share it in our sport, otherwise we will never solve the problem."

If he's saying what I think he's saying, it makes a lot of sense. In league sports like hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball and football, television rights aren't sold on an event by event basis. They're sold as a package. If you want to broadcast the playoffs, you also have to buy rights to all the crappy matches nobody cares about. If cycling was able to organize and bundle the rights for all WT races into one package, that would be immense. It would provide stability and guaranteed coverage with a known budget that could be split up appropriately as agreed upon by organizers, teams, riders, and the UCI. I really don't see a down side.

John Swanson

ScienceIsCool said:
fmk_RoI said:
Lappartient:

If he's saying what I think he's saying, it makes a lot of sense. In league sports like hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball and football, television rights aren't sold on an event by event basis. They're sold as a package. If you want to broadcast the playoffs, you also have to buy rights to all the crappy matches nobody cares about. If cycling was able to organize and bundle the rights for all WT races into one package, that would be immense. It would provide stability and guaranteed coverage with a known budget that could be split up appropriately as agreed upon by organizers, teams, riders, and the UCI. I really don't see a down side.

John Swanson
That's not what he's saying. He's saying the UCI will do what, say, Cofidis tried to do in Spain, or what Flanders Classics has achieved in Belgium: sell the rights for races that can't negotiate on their own. And later in the interview he seems to suggest starting this by the UCI selling rights to women's races.

Thing is, UCI will step in, and then pass the gig on to Infront or whoever, so you'll have two new layers of middle men wanting to take their slices before the race organisers get any money.

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
He's very money orientated, anyone thinking this guy will improve things is delusional...he'll take back handers like all the other UCI presidents, I give it less than 12 months before he's caught with his fingers in the till and the French police are investigating.

Re:

deviant said:
He's very money orientated, anyone thinking this guy will improve things is delusional...he'll take back handers like all the other UCI presidents, I give it less than 12 months before he's caught with his fingers in the till and the French police are investigating.
Well les flics never got to Verbruggen, McQuaid, or Cookson, what makes you think this guy is so incompetent he'll be collared within a year? Further, if what you say were in any way true - and I laugh at myself for even entertaining the possibility - how do you explain his periods at the French fed and the European confed? Given the seriousness of your allegation, I'm guessing you do have something that, generously, might be classed as evidence to support it.

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
This next one is a biggie and he will be judged on it:
REGROUP OUR 4 CYCLING OLYMPIC DISCIPLINES FOR A SINGLE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP EVERY 4 YEARS
A combined quadrennial World Championships, track and road, BMX and MTB, once every four years. How many countries could host that?
The Road WCs are the UCI's single biggest source of income.

Indeed it's quite a risk for them as it only has to go pear shaped one year for them to be in the financial toilet.

Moving to once every 4 years would seem to be adding significant risk to their financial viability.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Alex Simmons/RST said:
fmk_RoI said:
REGROUP OUR 4 CYCLING OLYMPIC DISCIPLINES FOR A SINGLE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP EVERY 4 YEARS
A combined quadrennial World Championships, track and road, BMX and MTB, once every four years. How many countries could host that?

Indeed it's quite a risk for them as it only has to go pear shaped one year for them to be in the financial toilet.

Moving to once every 4 years would seem to be adding significant risk to their financial viability.

If he uses an IOC model, he makes others pay for it. But cycling is not that big to attract a country willing to front big money to host a minority event and it will need to be countries that have velodromes. Middle east is out.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
fmk_RoI said:

Once every four years, a combined event. Every other year, normal.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

fmk_RoI said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
fmk_RoI said:

Yes because of Velodromes and the lack of. So basically he is saying a major cycling nation would get to host the 'BIG WC' every 4 years.

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
fmk_RoI said:

Yes because of Velodromes and the lack of. So basically he is saying a major cycling nation would get to host the 'BIG WC' every 4 years.
Which I guess explains why there's never a track Worlds...

Re:

fmk_RoI said:

Related to that:
CREATE A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FOR “SMALLER COUNTRIES”
Rainbow jerseys for everybody in the audience? (Do you know how many rainbow jerseys the UCI currently gives out each year? Hundreds.)

If our velodrome is in good enough shape, we could do the quadrennial right in my hometown .then again, we've hosted the Commonwealth Games.

Random Direction said:
fmk_RoI said:

Related to that:
Rainbow jerseys for everybody in the audience? (Do you know how many rainbow jerseys the UCI currently gives out each year? Hundreds.)

If our velodrome is in good enough shape, we could do the quadrennial right in my hometown .then again, we've hosted the Commonwealth Games.
This is who it comes down to: cities that already have the velodrome, BMX park, MTB course and suitable road circuit. `Commie Games hosts, Oly hosts, Pan-Am hosts etc.

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:
Which I guess explains why there's never a track Worlds...

You mean there was no Qatar track worlds. Must been in Yemen, or Saudi........
In 2016, as you well know, the MTB + Trials worlds were split between Nové Město na Moravě in the Czech Republic and Val di Sole in Italy, while the BMX worlds were in Medellín, Colombia and the track racers rode in London, England.

fmk_RoI said:
Random Direction said:
fmk_RoI said:

Related to that:

This is who it comes down to: cities that already have the velodrome, BMX park, MTB course and suitable road circuit. `Commie Games hosts, Oly hosts, Pan-Am hosts etc.
Not quite, because a complete world championships will also need to have DH downhill. Not all previous hosts have a pro-level DH course near them. BMX course can be built, as can a xc course (although I doubt anyone will for the purposes of anything but an important multi-sport games)

Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Related to that:

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! One of the cool things about the World's is the fact that among all those big powerhouse countries you'll find these random small countries. Besides, this might be the only chance - or one of a very few - the riders from the small nations have to test themselves against the pros.

Brullnux said:
fmk_RoI said:
Random Direction said:
fmk_RoI said:

Related to that:

Not quite, because a complete world championships will also need to have DH downhill. Not all previous hosts have a pro-level DH course near them. BMX course can be built, as can a xc course (although I doubt anyone will for the purposes of anything but an important multi-sport games)
He actually suggests trying to hold it the year before the Olys, and using those Oly facilities. Not sure that's feasible, given most Oly infra isn't completed until the year of the Games.

RedheadDane said:
fmk_RoI said:
Related to that:

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! One of the cool things about the World's is the fact that among all those big powerhouse countries you'll find these random small countries. Besides, this might be the only chance - or one of a very few - the riders from the small nations have to test themselves against the pros.
As with the idea of a quadrennial combined WCs, I don't think he's talking about reduction, he's talking about expansion:
The 186 national federation members of the UCI vary in size and structure. It is very difficult for some to take part in World Championships and to qualify in regard to their size or the level of cycling practice they have had. Consequently, in order to help these countries develop and set appropriate sporting objectives, a World Championship for “smaller countries” will be created, similar to the Games of the Small States of Europe, for example.

fmk_RoI said:
Brullnux said:
fmk_RoI said:
He actually suggests trying to hold it the year before the Olys, and using those Oly facilities. Not sure that's feasible, given most Oly infra isn't completed until the year of the Games.
True, and I repeat that as DH isn't in the olympics (or any other games), not all countries will have a proper world class course. Say Paris 2024: you can have a road race and there is a velodrome. But the mtb will have to take place elsewhere - at best, in the Vosges. But that is already far away, and there is little point in doing it anymore. In fact out the last 10 WCs only Ponferrada and Mendrisio have any sort of DH tracks. Maybe Florence if you go into the Appenines. Ideally, you'd need cities with track capabilites and which are near mountains. Otherwise there'd be one race 200km from another.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
I am cautiously optimistic that he will be better than Cookson.

If Lappartient can have the new tech fraud program in place by January as he says he will we should see a far better season in 2018. GTs have become a borefest, with only rhe Giro showing something interesting after Landa and Thomas crashed. I’m interested to see what he comes up with. Wit Gibbs now gone Barfield is still in place, that might prove a problem. Let us see.

TRENDING THREADS