• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lappartient is worse for cycling than Cookson?

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

samhocking said:
True, the 'perfect winner' is probably not exactly what Desgrange actually said, but in his book he says 'Legend has it'.
In you obsessive need to absolve Wiggins of any responsibilty for the opinions he expresses, you really do say some daft things. Wiggins used a legend, a myth, a posh lie, to justify an opinion. In my opinion, in the opinion of others, his opinion is only half right. On the way up, Degrange would have approved of Armstrong. And we don't need the comforting lies of myth to be able to say that, real history supports that opinion. But, once the Texan disgraced the race, Desgrange would not have approved. An opinion also supported by real history. This is the elephant in the room Wiggins pretends not to see.

Why you can't countenance any criticism of your hero, any disagreement with your hero, I do not know. But if you can't find some way to bring this back to the topic of this thread, Lappartient, I would respectively suggest you take your problem elsewhere.

Nowhere does Wiggins state Armstrong was the 'perfect winner'. The only thing he states is Henri Desgrange's legend of a perfect winner "was an extreme version of cycling, and a very French one. It also explains why Tour de France winners tended to be masochistic, obsessive and, on occasion, borderline sociopathic." ie Armstrong's personality.

Nowhere does Wiggins explain Armstrong 'to himself' as a perfect winner, nowhere.

Daniel Benson has interviewed Lappartient for VeloNews. Worth reading. Some quotes.

“There were some cases, but not at the top level. We hired all the CADF staff so it’s more of a global question on the tests and to WADA itself. I believe from my experience that the resources for WADA are not at the level. I’m part of the WADA board so I know that the budget is not enough for this. [...] I can only guarantee that I will put all our money, our resources into it. I’m not the one in the lab though doing the tests, and if the tests are insufficient then it’s more of an issue for WADA and the lab and not the UCI itself. It’s a more global question.”

"I want to see this as something positive, that we don’t have positive cases but what I want to say is that we still remain awake about what can happen. Today, to make a lot of tests is something necessary but it’s not enough to certify the results. That’s why we’re working very closely with the ITA. They are doing a great job and they’ve now hired an investigator who was in the U.S. police. He’s working on the networks and all things like this,.

"It’s good that we don’t have positive cases, but I’m not too naive to think that I can just wash my hands with this. So we are really pushing to put more money into this, more money into investigations and that’s what we want to do. For doping, it’s a fight that will never end. We always have to continue and consider that things will happen.”

"The passport is more used today as a way of how to test. Riders now are tested every day, every day, every day because the passport can sometimes have question marks. If it’s the case then they concentrate a lot of effort on riders. That’s what the ITA are doing."

“I want to trust the results in cycling but I can’t be that naive to think that the tests are negative, and that demonstrates no doping.”

Curious about part of the argument made here, that there were no WT positives last year, the first time in the WT's history.

Is ISN's Patrick Schelling the last WT positive (2020)?

Before him I guess we have the Aderlass confessions/convictions, some of which were WT level. But what was the last WT positive before Schelling? Most of the recent WT positives I can think of have come from riders stepping up to WT level getting caught for earlier offences.

Curious about part of the argument made here, that there were no WT positives last year, the first time in the WT's history.

Is ISN's Patrick Schelling the last WT positive (2020)?

Before him I guess we have the Aderlass confessions/convictions, some of which were WT level. But what was the last WT positive before Schelling? Most of the recent WT positives I can think of have come from riders stepping up to WT level getting caught for earlier offences.
Jarlinson Pantano in 2019?

Reactions: fmk_RoI

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts