• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Last battle at lombardy! Who will win?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Lombardia?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Echoes said:
I've seen all of these races and I'm sorry but I have rarely seen him battle for the win in these races but AGR and your results show it.

Evidence? Gesink set the whole finale off. He started pulling, Cunego took over from him, and when Cunego started to hold back Gilbert went. Managed to hang on on a fast, tricky descent (hope the Gesink can't descend meme will be firmly laid to bed now) and put in a okay sprint, even though it looked to me like he kind of boxed himself in behind Kolobnev, and in between Hoogerland and Paolini; kid still needs to learn how to sprint.

In case you don't remember he was also a pretty influential rider in last year's Worlds. He nearly had Ballan dropped early on in the final circuit, and was a driving force in the front group trying to reel back Ballan when Ballan dropped the rest.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Semi-surprised that Gilbert attacked, considering he was the best sprinter in the break (with the possible exception of Kolobnev).

Very well deserved win and finally his first major, major win. Well done :)

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Mr 100%

Moondance said:
Timed his sprint perfectly too. 20 meters more and Sanchez would've taken it.

I don't think so, Gilbert won easily though made the mistake to think he already won... that's why he had to sprint twice :)

Great win !
What a week ! Monsieur 100% !

Funny, did you see Cadel and Gilbert hugging... a bit shy both, i thought...

Heck of a final month for Lotto and in partcular Gilbert.
4 major wins.
Also, the RJ for the team to parade.
Season salvaged and then some.
Amazed at Gilbert winning one of the hilliest classics, dropping all those top GT climbers to boot.
Add to that his final kick and........formidable!

Oh and Johnny "Duracell" Hoogerland, dubbed by Big Magnus on eurosport.:)

Just watched the delayed coverage on Eurosport, great race really enjoyed it. I had tipped Cunego but was hoping Gibert would win it so pretty happy. Some good attacking, Vino up the road again, excellent team work by the WC, Silence-Lotto have really turned their season around, good stuff. This race is as good as any of the spring classics and to think some people consider this the poor part of the season.

Mellow Velo said:
Heck of a final month for Lotto and in partcular Gilbert.
4 major wins.
Also, the RJ for the team to parade.
Season salvaged and then some.
Amazed at Gilbert winning one of the hilliest classics, dropping all those top GT climbers to boot.
Add to that his final kick and........formidable!

Oh and Johnny "Duracell" Hoogerland, dubbed by Big Magnus on eurosport.:)

I was amazed as well, Gilbert has infinately improved compared to his FDjeux time. He was never much of a good rider in the big hilly classics the past years.. and now this!

Shows once again how FDJ ****s up young riders :D

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I was amazed as well, Gilbert has infinately improved compared to his FDjeux time. He was never much of a good rider in the big hilly classics the past years.. and now this!

Shows once again how FDJ ****s up young riders :D

Or it shows something else...

Gilbert is the man right now. Great win. Great race.

Silence's management must be breathing a huge sigh of relief after Evans and Gilbert made up for the season.

A

Anonymous

usedtobefast said:
based on TFF's logic. i'll pick Gilbert;)

Evidently, I don't "do" logic, so it was just luck on my part. (this is of course a reference to an assertion made by another member on another thread, but I thought it was funny that you had said that in light of the content of that thread.)

Past that, I wouldn't bet on my observations very often. Unless you like losing money.:)

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
kudos Mr. Gilbert. Super good ride and a well-deserved win. Got to be one of the most consistent/strongest ends to a racing season I've seen from anyone in a while.

A few thoughts from the race:

Great win for phil, with how fast he is in a sprint and how well he has been climbing he will be a threat in most hilly one-day races especially liege. Also, he has to be in the discussion as one of the best descenders, he seemed to have no trouble staying with samu on the descents.

Love the attacking style of Hoogerland, Vino, and Fuglsang. Seems like every race they take part in you can mark them down for an attack about 20K from the finish line. It seems like every race that Vino and Fuglsang are in a breakaway together.

Impressive ride by Horner to finish in the group of contenders. Every time he gets hurt he comes back and rides just as strong, if not stronger, than he was before his injury.

Almost feel a little sorry for Basso watching these races. He is always with the group of favorites but he has a terrible sprint and doesn't have the acceleration to drop anyone on the climbs. He pretty much can be penciled in for 5th to 15th depending on the size of the group that he arrives in.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Give Cadel some more credit..it is due.

Everyone seems to get mentioned for their great effort in the race without much mention at all for work Cadel did in the last 15km's to put Phil in the position to win. He attacked hard and caused a major split then instead of joining the rest of the "wheelsuckers" he stayed on the front and kept the pace high enough to pull back Vino etc and then held the pace up the climb to prevent others going... until Phil launched before the top. He then was able to hang in there to finish tenth with the "ws".

Cadel has proved over the past week that when the situation arises he will as hard for somebody on his team as he expects those same riders to work for him. 2 of Phil's win were without doubt created by the hard work of his team in particular Cadel.

After his ITT today Cadel will be able to enjoy the rewards that he has worked so hard to earn over the past 8 years as a pro cyclist. SIL may have salvaged some pride for the season with a unbelievable last month but it should never be forgotten, the performance of a terrible team management for the first 9 months and the meddling Coucke sticking his nose where it shouldn't have been causing some ongoing rifts. Coucke, let the DS do their job and you stick to your promises.

Cadel is a great guy and if the rest of the world put the effort into life that he does (not just cycling); it would be an unbelievable place to live.

Come get me trolls!!!!:cool:

A

Anonymous

powderpuff said:
Everyone seems to get mentioned for their great effort in the race without much mention at all for work Cadel did in the last 15km's to put Phil in the position to win. He attacked hard and caused a major split then instead of joining the rest of the "wheelsuckers" he stayed on the front and kept the pace high enough to pull back Vino etc and then held the pace up the climb to prevent others going... until Phil launched before the top. He then was able to hang in there to finish tenth with the "ws".

Cadel has proved over the past week that when the situation arises he will as hard for somebody on his team as he expects those same riders to work for him. 2 of Phil's win were without doubt created by the hard work of his team in particular Cadel.

After his ITT today Cadel will be able to enjoy the rewards that he has worked so hard to earn over the past 8 years as a pro cyclist. SIL may have salvaged some pride for the season with a unbelievable last month but it should never be forgotten, the performance of a terrible team management for the first 9 months and the meddling Coucke sticking his nose where it shouldn't have been causing some ongoing rifts. Coucke, let the DS do their job and you stick to your promises.

Cadel is a great guy and if the rest of the world put the effort into life that he does (not just cycling); it would be an unbelievable place to live.

Come get me trolls!!!!:cool:

If you had been posting DURING the race, you would see that you don't know what you are talking about. You guys are as bad as Armstrong fanboys.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
If you had been posting DURING the race, you would see that you don't know what you are talking about. You guys are as bad as Armstrong fanboys.
I'm talking post race. Hardly a mention. I am certainly not a FANBOY, nancy boy.

You don't respect him and I certainly don't respect anything you say about him. The comment about credit was for the season in general not just this race.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

they are more annoying i think... maybe :confused::confused:

Love seeing Hoogerland place highly :D
Gilbert is just on fire, kudos to him.
Poor SS just cant win at lombardia.

powderpuff said:
I'm talking post race. Hardly a mention. I am certainly not a FANBOY, nancy boy.

You don't respect him and I certainly don't respect anything you say about him. The comment about credit was for the season in general not just this race.

I think the over-the-top biased attitude some of the australians have towards CE only makes people dislike CE that much more . Some might give him too little credit, but don't worry you guys give give so much more then he deserves that it all evens out.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
they are more annoying i think... maybe :confused::confused:

Love seeing Hoogerland place highly :D
Gilbert is just on fire, kudos to him.
Poor SS just cant win at lombardia.

I think the over-the-top biased attitude some of the australians have towards CE only makes people dislike CE that much more . Some might give him too little credit, but don't worry you guys give give so much more then he deserves that it all evens out.

You mean like Gesink FANBOYS like yourself.

If you told me before the start of the 2009 season that Gilbert would win Lombardia, and that Hoogerland would be the best Dutchman and even 5th ranked, I'd laugh at your face.

How unpredictable is cycling. I never imagined Gilbert as a real winner for ardennes like classics, at Fdjeux he never even came close to breaking top 10 in those...

Appearently all FDJ did was screw him up in small races. 1 year Silence and Gilbert can do this... wow.