• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Last battle at lombardy! Who will win?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Lombardia?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

im also going to unsurprisingly tip thomas de gendt to be in the breakaway.. :D

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Has CE ever won a major one day race except the WC? CE AFAIK is a fairly bad sprinter and the chances of the just crowned WC being allowed to go of on his own again are slim.

That's a good call Cerberus. Just checked the last 8 editions of Lombardia and they were all won by handy sprinters in a small group:

2001 Di Luca
2002 Bartoli
2003 Bartoli
2004 Cunego
2005 Bettini
2006 Bettini
2007 Cunego
2008 Cunego

Interesting to posit how that lot would have gone in a sprint against one another at the end of Liege or Lombardia. For me: Bartoli, Di Luca, Cunego then Bettini.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
actually it's been pretty 50/50 in terms of sprints and solos win in the past few editions. Last year and 06' were both solo victories.

Solo victories yes, but by handy sprinters - ie guys who can win in a small group or alone. Cadel only fits one of those catergories, the others fit both.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I beg your pardon?

How many 22/21 year olds finished top 15/top 10 in 250km+ classics?
His AGR 3rd place was when he was still 22 (he turned 23 in may)!!! That's also 250km...

So your whole argument of him being not experienced with such long classics is not true. He performed already extremely well in those at younger age. So there is no way to start doubting him now.

I've seen all of these races and I'm sorry but I have rarely seen him battle for the win in these races but AGR and your results show it.

We can reasonably state that he performed much better on stage races and shorter one-day races at his very young age. :)

A

Anonymous

Cobber said:
Anyone found a live feed for the US yet?

Looks like 9:30 is the first opportunity to watch. I believe its Eurosport France.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
92km #
# Les quatre hommes de tête n'ont plus que 3'30" d'avance sur le peloton. A mesure que l'on se rapproche de la Madonna del Ghisallo, la tension monte dans le paquet. The four leading men have only 3'30 "ahead of the pack. As we get closer to the Madonna del Ghisallo, the tension in the package.

A

Anonymous

Though I don't think it will happen, I would love to see Dan Martin win. That break will get swallowed pretty quickly me thinks.

A

Anonymous

Cadel Attacking. I may actually start rooting for the guy if he can stop acting like a little girl in interviews.