• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Last WT team to get a win – 2019 edition

Who will be the last WT team to get a win in 2019?

• Ag2R

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Astana

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Bahrain

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Dimension Data

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Groupama

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Jumbo

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Katusha

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Lotto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Movistar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunweb

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
With first elite road cycling events of the new season coming in a few days, it is the time to relaunch this competition.

Rules:
Same as in previous years. A WT team which wins (a) a WT race or (b) a .HC, .1, WC, CC or NC race, is out of the competition. The competition is run simultaneously for (a) WT races (“last WT team to get a WT win”) and (b) other races (“last WT team to get any win”).

For stage races, both GC and stage (or half-stage) win counts. TTT win counts.

If a WT rider is starting in a race where his WT team is not participating (as a member of national team, for example), his win does not count. This does not apply to WC, CC or NC events, of course.

The results of the competition will be updated on a regular basis.

*** the quick said:
With first elite road cycling events of the new season coming in a few days, it is the time to relaunch this competition.

Rules:
Same as in previous years. A WT team which wins (a) a WT race or (b) a .HC, .1, WC, CC or NC race, is out of the competition. The competition is run simultaneously for (a) WT races (“last WT team to get a WT win”) and (b) other races (“last WT team to get any win”).

For stage races, both GC and stage (or half-stage) win counts. TTT win counts.

If a WT rider is starting in a race where his WT team is not participating (as a member of national team, for example), his win does not count. This does not apply to WC, CC or NC events, of course.

The results of the competition will be updated on a regular basis.

WC and CC? They are not won in team colours.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well ok, not 2nd or 3rd, but they still had 33 wins.

By no means should they be in this poll. Sunweb is FAR more likely, they barely had any wins. Same goes for DD (but they are in already), Katusha, UAE, etc
Agree that Sunweb shoudl be in

But then Sky are also in, as well as Trek who got Richie Porte so they'll be out after Willunga Hill.

Guys, to sum up all the discussion above:

The poll is not working (don't know why - I just followed CN instructions when creating the OP) and may include up to 10 options only. As I understand, at least some of you say that the poll would be more reasonable when there will be only 10 WT teams left without a win. This is fine, but it means effectively that the poll should be removed now, and re-launched in two or three months (hopefully). But vox populi = vox Dei, I will remove the poll once I will learn how to do this (currently at beginner level regarding creating polls at CN forum). This should cut off this unnecessary discussion like: "LOL, why the team X is in the poll, while the team Y is not".

But this should not have any impact on those of us who are willing to take an early wild guess (or a premeditated choice) on the last WT to get a win in 2019 - right now, before the real action have started. I guess that for some of us (including me) it will be some fun to eliminate the teams, one by one, out of this competition from the very beginning of the season, as they will get wins.

So, let's do it this way: if someone wants to take his/her choice - please feel free to do this using a standard reply posted in this thread (as one of the posters above already did). If someone other prefers to wait until the situation becomes more clear - please wait until the poll reappears later during the season.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
We normally only put the poll up when there are only 10 left without a win. Bit premature.
He's not called *** the quick for nothing. ;)

My standard answer for this question has always been Astana, and they've usually come close. With Minali gone, I am tempted to stick with them, but Cort and Lutsenko seems to be flying early in the season these days and Lopez can always sneek a win. I'll decide on my choice later.

2018: Team Sunweb, 23/02, Phil Bauhaus, stage 3 Abu Dhabi Tour. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33869
2017: Astana, 17/04, Michele Scarponi, Stage 1 Tour of the Alps. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32459
2016: Team Giant-Alpecin, 06/05, Tom Dumoulin, Stage 1 Giro. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30451
2015: Team LottoNL-Jumbo, Moreno Hofland 02/05, Stage 2 Tour de Yorkshire viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26051
2014: Astana 01/03, Andrea Guardini, Stage 3 Tour of Langkawi
2013: Euskaltel 12/04, Pablo Urtasun, Stage 1 Vuelta a Castilla y Leon
2012: AG2R, 18/05, Sylvain Georges, Stage 6 Tour of California
2011: Euskaltel, 02/04, Samuel Sanchez, GP Indurain
2010: Omega Pharma Lotto, 18/04, Philippe Gilbert, Amstel Gold Race
2009: Silence Lotto, 28/03, Cadel Evans, Stage 5 Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali
2008: Euskaltel, 08/03, Koldo Fernandez, Stage 5 Vuelta Ciclista a la region de Murcia

Teams present in all polls: Katusha.
Teams present in atleast 3 polls: Giant/Sunweb, Cannondale/TeamEF, AG2R, Astana, Sky, FDJ, Lampre/UAE, LottoNL/Visma-Jumbo, Dimension Data
2019 not included. Yet.

TRENDING THREADS