• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Samyn 2024, February 27, 204.3 km (1.1)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a shame...he could had won, but another great result by him.

He wants to do Grand Tours in the future.

This year he will go to the Tour avenir, and the goal is winning the race.

I believe more in Morgado than in Almeida for the future. Morgado is a beast, and mentally he is a killer. He hates a lot to lose, and he is very competitive.
It's hard to judge when he only rode U-23 the first year after juniors, but he strikes me as more of a Moscon-esque all-rounder than a climber. L'Avenir will be interesting.

I didn't really like De Lie's post-race interview, made him look quite arrogant. But he's still young, it's normal at this age to sometimes act out of sorts.

He has to learn how to deal with not winning for some time. Not the first time he gets frustrated when he doesn't win for some time. And that's just what's going to happen when you evolve into a classic rider that aims for the big races, you won't win as much. If he wanted easy wins he should've raced in January already.

Lotto should probably do that again next year tho if he still cares that much, just to keep the pressure off. Put him in those 2 Valencia races just after training camp and he's basically guaranteed to win one.

Reactions: Berniece and search
I saw Rex referred to as the "first Walloon winner since Philippe Gilbert" in Belgian media. Is that technically correct, even though he is part of the German-speaking minority?

Yes.

Well it's kinda complicated.

Basically 3 regions ("Gewesten") in Belgium: Flemish, Walloon and Brussels and I think usually Wallonie is seen as the Walloon region.

But Belgium is also divided into 3 communities ("Gemeenschappen"), which is basically based on language. Flemisch, Walloon and German Speaking.

So don't think too much about it.

Last edited:
I saw Rex referred to as the "first Walloon winner since Philippe Gilbert" in Belgian media. Is that technically correct, even though he is part of the German-speaking minority?
Wallonie is a distinct region, but I don’t know if everyone who grew up there considers themselves a Walloon? Like in a case in which previous generations live in Gent or Trier?

Sidenote: got a good laugh that autocorrect wanted to change Wallonie to Wallaby :)

For those interested:

6b0d7e72-d5b4-11ee-b483-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Latest posts