• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour '19 stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 126km

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Climbing said:
Colombians only wins GT when there is a controversial decision by the organizer! :D
FACTS!

Haha this is funny coming from a Nibali fan, his GT wins have always been the toughest competition ever. :rolleyes: If Bernal is lucky then so was Nibali, they have both had bits of fortune in different ways, Bernal is clearly the strongest climber in the 3rd week he was getting better and better as the race went on. Bernal would have easily took the time he needed he is climbing better than anyone in the final week, Alaphillipe is running on fumes.

Bernal with Paris Nice, Tour de Suisse and probably a TDF is up there with anything Nibali as done in a single year. Infact his year is already better than Nibali has ever done imo, he is just 22 aswell. A little bit of respect for this phenom would be nice. Bernal did not even target the TDF either and is proving to be the best climber in the 3rd week of a GT. Oh and he is beating his own leader, a TDF winner. :D

Re: Re:

Carols said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
This. There was a Long Way to go. Nothing says he'd still be there at the end. Tomorrow if he goes out and wins the stage dropping everyone, he'll have proved best. Otherwise he's just the Luckiest IMO.

He's done that multiple times now.
And lucky over who? The guy who he put 2 minutes into on just one climb today, the guy who he's put over 2:30 on in 4 mountain stages, or his teammate?

He's 22 years old. Who knows if he could ride 35km on the flat and get over the last climb holding his lead on the 21st day of a GT? I know he's never done it before!

There was only around 10k of flat and he had Yates to help who would have wanted the stage win. The chasing group only had a couple of guys who would have worked so I doubt if they would have brought back much, if any before the climb. Anyway, we'll never know but I have no problem with Bernal winning since he's been the strongest rider overall. I do hope Alaphilippe can hang on to the podium but it doesn't look good.

See bolded.
And just how many stages has he dropped everyone and won? None that I've seen. Unless you're counting the cancelled one today he's won Zero. He hasn't even podiumed a stage.

True, the break has taken most of the stages, but he's dropped all the guys he's battling for yellow multiple times now.

Libertine Seguros said:
Valv.Piti said:
Think critics are about making the race boring (not necessarily dominance) and clinic stuff. I think everybody wants to see the best rider win in the yellow jersey tomorrow, that just feels right after today.
Unfortunately, the best rider climbed off and got into his team car today.
You can never be called the best rider if you keep DNF!

For everyone bitching and moaning, I would love to hear about a decision in this situation which would not have resulted in the same amount of bitching and moaning.

Not possible. Incredibly disappointing situation, and the correct call was made in all respects. Stopping was the only choice. Stopping at the l'Iseran was completely sensible and correct.

Red Rick said:
Jungle Cycle said:
is it impossible to climb Thorens 2x??
It isn't.

But I'm pretty sure it would be like 250km with an insane altitude gain.

Should really just cram in Madeleine unless that got a landslide too

Would be the obvious thing to do if the landslide was weeks ago. But if the Madeleine is clear (if it isn't there's any number of smaller climbs nearby) I would guess you probably can't close it and arrange all the marshalling and stuff overnight, which will be much easier on the valley road they have chosen to use. It's a rubbish way for the Tour to end though.

Carols said:
Pricey_sky said:
houtdffan said:
luckyboy said:
Tomorrow's stage looks like it will be shortened due to landslides. No Cormet de Roselend. Maybe only 60km stage and only the climb to Val Thorens.

could they reroute and do the big Madeleine instead? Similar to how the 2015 stage to ADH was rerouted to include Croix de Fer instead of Galiber?

No, confirmed just a 59km stage with the final climb.

Well I guess they can just crown Bernal and be done with it :(. What a Sucky end to what was a good race up until today.

Brutal . . . TDF looked to be the best in years, maybe decades, and with bad luck implodes in less than a day.

A pitty that weather got all headlines for this stage.

Until the cancellation it was the best cycling stage for decades.

I never use the word 'epic' but this will be my first time.

But that's the facinating part of the sport - it's a journey in nature's elements.

Edit: I think under the circumstances and tiny timeframe for decisions, ASO did exactly the right thing. Of course Thomas, Kruijswijk and Buchman are the biggest loosers. But Bernal has been the strongest rider the last couple of days.
I just hope he eliminates any doubt on tomorrow's shortened stage.

GenericBoonenFan said:
Poursuivant said:
The most important question: why were Nibali and Uran arguing?
Giro 2014 flashbacks.

DS Lars Michaelsen, Astana Pro Team told Danish television that Radio Tour never informed about the mud slide, just the hailstorm and slippery roads.

So how are Nibali and Uran supposed to know, driving at full speed on dry roads?

I fully understand Uran in his position and his knowledge, riding steep downhill in bad weather plenty times before. And then the adrenaline and if he felt good to catch up time, not accepting the message, wanting Nibali to participate.

There's a lot of hindsight in this thread.

Rollthedice said:
Escarabajo said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Poursuivant said:
The most important question: why were Nibali and Uran arguing?
Giro 2014 flashbacks.
LOL at Uran. He was probably telling Nibali that Quintana was behind them that that he probably was not stopping so why should he!!!!!! :D

Maybe Nibali told Uran the bad news and Jagger was having none of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMl5CRoFdk

Poor Uran!!

Northerner said:
Red Rick said:
Jungle Cycle said:
It isn't.

But I'm pretty sure it would be like 250km with an insane altitude gain.

Should really just cram in Madeleine unless that got a landslide too

Would be the obvious thing to do if the landslide was weeks ago. But if the Madeleine is clear (if it isn't there's any number of smaller climbs nearby) I would guess you probably can't close it and arrange all the marshalling and stuff overnight, which will be much easier on the valley road they have chosen to use. It's a rubbish way for the Tour to end though.
Guess it depends on what road it is. If it's on the ascent of the Roselend I think using Col du Pre shouldn't be a much bigger issue than the last minute inclusion of that Giro climb that replaced the Gavia

Re:

red_flanders said:
For everyone bitching and moaning, I would love to hear about a decision in this situation which would not have resulted in the same amount of bitching and moaning.

Not possible. Incredibly disappointing situation, and the correct call was made in all respects. Stopping was the only choice. Stopping at the l'Iseran was completely sensible and correct.
Stopping at Iseran or cancelling the stage is the only option given how events unfolded. The big issue though is why was the possibility of the stage finishing at Iseran not communicated to the riders while they were on the climb, so that they could adjust their tactics accordingly.

The claims that it happened too quickly are bs. There was a snow plough already there trying to clear the road by the time they were on the descent. The moment it was known that the road was in dodgy condition, the riders should have been told of the possible shortening of the stage.

Zoetemelk-fan said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Val Thorens is dead end.

So either they should return at the same road to Les Menuires and Moutiers again, which is quite inappropriate.

Or they should take the ski lifts to Méribel-Mottaret.

With this Tour you never know :lol:
There's Col de Rosael, which is a dirt road at almost 3000m which would bring you back to the valley were they started today.

It's one of the great climbs we'll never see on a television screen.