• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour '19 Stage 20: Albertville > Val Thorens 59km

As Simurgh mentioned he is having connection issues and wanted someone else to make the stage topic, here goes...

So after todays shortened stage because of landslides, stage 20 has to be shortened as well for the same reasons and bad weather predictions. They're going straight from Albertville to Val Thorens, skipping the Roselend and the Longefoy. They start at 14.30 and it will take them approximately 2 hours to reach the finish.

Picture at the Cormet de Roseland by @robbertderijk:
roselend.jpg

The new route:

7de45.jpg

profile.jpg

This route on Strava gives me a total elevation gain of ~2500 meters.

Only 1 HC climb, to Val Thorens! 33.4 km with an average of 5.5%.

43b54

The climb was only raced once before in the tour, in 1994 with the Colombian Nelson Rodriguez as the stage winner.
Dol-Q41b-Xg-AAQy-Kj.jpg

They're predicting lots of rain:
Albertville:
albertville.png

Val Thorens:
valthorens.png

A very short stage, only 59 km, does this bring Alaphillipe back in the game or do the Colombians keep monopolizing wins in Val Thorens? ;-)

Well, it's been a question mark all the way from the beginning...
I agree the shortened parcourse would make a killer tt. After all, it is going to be an all-out effort and there's plenty to ride for.

Tour-like Giro without Gavia, Giro-like Tour with this tempest... Weird.

Re:

sir fly said:
I agree the shortened parcourse would make a killer tt. After all, it is going to be an all-out effort and there's plenty to ride for.

I would love an ITT. No Ineos Train. GT, Bernal and Alla mano-o-mano. A road race plays to the yellow jerseys strength while an ITT plays to his pursuers, hence the latter is far more appealing

Sciatic said:
First it was Pinot . . .then Alaphillippe cracks . . . then mountains of hail and mudslides. It's nothing less than the French apocalypse :eek: Tomorrow we can expect to see a swarm of locusts block the road to Val Thorens!

Worse for the French... Bardet will lose the KOM if Bernal wins the stage, and Barguil has closed to 30 seconds from the top 10 with one (now -halved) hard stage remaining...

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Wait, what?!

This Tour just went from great to **** in a matter of a few hours. Isn't it at all possible to do something else than this?!?!

Im just lost for words. Depressed. :( God damn man, why do this Mother Nature :(

This year’s tour is the sporting equivalent to the Game of Thrones wrap up

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
craptastic said:
Valv.Piti said:
Wait, what?!

This Tour just went from great to **** in a matter of a few hours. Isn't it at all possible to do something else than this?!?!

Im just lost for words. Depressed. :( God damn man, why do this Mother Nature :(

This year’s tour is the sporting equivalent to the Game of Thrones wrap up

Please it's not that bad............

Sorry but it is. Finally a year with a possible French winner and end to sky/Ineos. Only to have Pinot climb off w an injury and JA lose the jersey to sky due to stage nullification to weather is the most uninspiring end to this tour. Yah JA was going to lose it at some point but with a decent and final climb eliminated no one knows what could have happened - Bernal mechanicals or crashes, aj closes on the decent and holds on final climb, others waiting and go into the red on the final climb to make the podium selection tighter for saturday. And all other variations. Yah right decision for safety. But most disappointing end to the most intriguing tour in ages.

Re: Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
sir fly said:

I would love an ITT. No Ineos Train. GT, Bernal and Alla mano-o-mano. A road race plays to the yellow jerseys strength while an ITT plays to his pursuers, hence the latter is far more appealing
No teams here....all out chaos, and attacking....lke Pantani, VanderBrouke or Selle/Ricco. you gonna see some slugging.

TRENDING THREADS