• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour 2014

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I am one of those people that follows the Tour on TV every year but doesnt actually cycle or is otherwise into cycling.

I really got into the Giro this year as two legs started/ended in my home city of Belfast.

I would love to know how the Pro Continential teams pick their respective teams of 9 for the likes of this years Tour. Take Sky for example, will they field Ben Swift even though he has been in the Giro?

I know Wiggo and Mark Cavendish where in the Tour of California so I presume it gives the likes of these riders longer to prepare for the Tour De France rather than if they had been in the Giro?

In a magazine I bought it lists 15 riders for each team but I know 9 start so how do they narrow it down? This question has niggled for ages now so any help in answering it is much appreciated.:)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Neill!

Neill75 said:
I would love to know how the Pro Continential teams pick their respective teams of 9 for the likes of this years Tour. Take Sky for example, will they field Ben Swift even though he has been in the Giro?

I think the chance is zero that Swift is going to the Tour. His dream is to be part of the Tour squad, but Sky's only goal is to make sure they have the yellow yersey in Paris with Froome. So they will make a squad totally in service of Froome. That's why they send Swift to the Giro, to try to fight for a stage win there.

This will likely be the squad for Team Sky for the Tour

Froome
Wiggins
Porte
Kyrienka
Thomas
Nieve
Kennaugh
Siutsou

The last man could be Henao, if he's cleared from his doping accusions.

Neill75 said:
In a magazine I bought it lists 15 riders for each team but I know 9 start so how do they narrow it down? This question has niggled for ages now so any help in answering it is much appreciated.:)

They will based it on the perfomance of riders, which goal they are going to the Tour and the current form. It's just as simple as that really.

I'm trying to get a sense of what riders I should really be paying attention to as we get closer to July: obvious contenders, dark horses, and long shots.

Reading the forums and the news, I've come up with this list of seven riders who I'd say are potential Top 10 finishers, which I've organized alphabetically. I've also included the pre-Tour races I might be able to watch them in, according to current start lists. Seems like I should be able to add some names to, eh?

Alberto Contador | Tinkoff-Saxo | Critérium du Dauphiné
Rui Costa | Lampre-Merida | Tour de Suisse
Chris Froome | Team Sky | Critérium du Dauphiné
Vincenzo Nibali | Astana Pro Team | Critérium du Dauphiné
Andy Schleck | Trek Factory Racing | Tour de Luxembourg and Tour de Suisse
Alejandro Valverde | Movistar Team | Tour de Suisse
Tejay Van Garderen | BMC Racing Team | Critérium du Dauphiné

christopherrowe said:
I'm trying to get a sense of what riders I should really be paying attention to as we get closer to July: obvious contenders, dark horses, and long shots.

Reading the forums and the news, I've come up with this list of seven riders who I'd say are potential Top 10 finishers, which I've organized alphabetically. I've also included the pre-Tour races I might be able to watch them in, according to current start lists. Seems like I should be able to add some names to, eh?

In terms of GC, that is a nice list, with the majority of the names that are likely to animate and contend the race :) I would add Bauke Mollema as well and perhaps remove Andy Schleck, but I guess he cannot be ignored afterall. Don't listen to people who mention Kwiatkowski. He has become the most hyped rider in here.

Oh, and I'd also place high expectations on your other compatriot Andrew Talansky who will be doing Dauphiné as well.

BigMac said:
In terms of GC, that is a nice list, with the majority of the names that are likely to animate and contend the race :) I would add Bauke Mollema as well and perhaps remove Andy Schleck, but I guess he cannot be ignored afterall. Don't listen to people who mention Kwiatkowski. He has become the most hyped rider in here.

Oh, and I'd also place high expectations on your other compatriot Andrew Talansky who will be doing Dauphiné as well.

Thanks, BigMac! I've added your two suggestions below, but left Schleck in for now.

----------
Bauke Mollema | Belkin-Pro Cycling Team | Tour de Suisse
Andrew Talansky | Garmin Sharp | Critérium du Dauphiné

Vino attacks everyone said:
I would put Pinot in for a top 10 spot to. It is time that he proves himself in the tour

That would be great, to include at least one Frenchman. I don't know much about him, really. He's quite young, which is also cool. My only worry is that I heard that FDJ.fr is concentrating on sprints/Green Jersey points with [some rider whose name I forget but who isn't Bouhanni] this year? I see he did a top 10 at last year's Vuelta, did he have good team support there?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
christopherrowe said:
That would be great, to include at least one Frenchman. I don't know much about him, really. He's quite young, which is also cool. My only worry is that I heard that FDJ.fr is concentrating on sprints/Green Jersey points with [some rider whose name I forget but who isn't Bouhanni] this year? I see he did a top 10 at last year's Vuelta, did he have good team support there?

Pinot has had problems with descending, but if he's gotten over it for the most part and stays consistent he could definitively get a top 10.

Demare is the other sprinter on FDJ your thinking of.

christopherrowe said:

You mean demare? Maybe they'll look.to him but I can't imagine him being prioritized over pinot. He is a gc top ten or even 5 young rider contender, whilst demare is max and occasional top 3 in a stage in the tour sprinter which isn't bad, but not something that will demote pinot.

Remember pinot won a stage In his debut tour at the age of twenty two and came tenth and he was the youngest rider in the race. Since then he has participated in the tour and come 7th in the vuelta and has been steady improving this year with top 10 in tour of Basque and romandie. Also he's a bit like Andy schleck in that he only performs outstandingly in races he's looking to do well in.

Demare, that's right! Thanks all, for that reminder and for the insight on Pinot. I'll add him, and thus and so, I have my "Ten to Watch" set.

Thibaut Pinot | FDJ.fr | Tour de Suisse

christopherrowe said:
Demare, that's right! Thanks all, for that reminder and for the insight on Pinot. I'll add him, and thus and so, I have my "Ten to Watch" set.

I would add jvdb ( jurgen van de broeck) and kreuziger (if he's racing) jvdb has come 4th twice in the tour and has had bad luck there crashing out twice last year included. He also has an extremely interesting interview in procycling magazine last month. And kreuziger 5th in last year's tour and has been in incredible form so far this year. I would even knock out tejay for him if you had to.

Criterium du Dauphine and Tour de Suisse are the "preparation" races for France's grand tour.

Riders need to be performing relatively well at both preparation events. There are some exceptions, so don't take results too literally.

Comparing Le Tour to the Giro, Le Tour's **GC** race has been a very simple. The most power wins. Hopefully, the British stages will feature some tight, hilly roads and maybe some wind to penalize GC contenders who do not stay in the front.

FWIW, I'd take the Schleck's off your list.

Ruby United said:
snipped..

Also he's a bit like Andy schleck in that he only performs outstandingly in races he's looking to do well in.

Nah, very different riders. Pinot rarely rides as a tourist/getting miles in the legs. In most races he's serious and tries to get a result.

Schleck can only perform at LBL and the Tour and sometimes in Luxembourg.

Both of them whine about descents however.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
christopherrowe said:

A couple other guys who might top 10 with very good rides, Taaramae, Navarro, Kreuziger, Porte, Van Den Broeck, Kwiatkowski (he was 11th last year, and is improving).

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
christopherrowe said:

I would take out Andy. Even if Purito ends up participating, he'll make the list. Andy? not so much.