• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour winner, Wiggins or Froome?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which one would you like to see winning Le Tour?

• Christopher Froome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Poursuivant is right. Let Wiggo make a mockery of the sport this year, Froome can carry on after he's done.

Absolutely hilarious stuff with the wives battling it out on twitter and all. Still waiting for the beetroot juice and perfectly aged tubular tires for this year, though. Probably something to do with riding like a scooter, since Twiggo is a mod.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
meat puppet said:
Poursuivant is right. Let Wiggo make a mockery of the sport this year, Froome can carry on after he's done.

Absolutely hilarious stuff with the wives battling it out on twitter and all. Still waiting for the beetroot juice and perfectly aged tubular tires for this year, though. Probably something to do with riding like a scooter, since Twiggo is a mod.

Take it too the clinic already

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I saw Froome racing like a headless chicken like he does and Wiggo riding his own pace like he does. As soon as Yates was on the radio Froome slowed down and did his job.

There really isn't a lot to get excited about, but dont let that stop you.

That ability of Froome's to look totally dead then come back is quite useful, and makes the race exciting but Wiggo will show whose the boss in the final TT.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Winterfold said:
I saw Froome racing like a headless chicken like he does and Wiggo riding his own pace like he does. As soon as Yates was on the radio Froome slowed down and did his job.

U might be right but that brief moment made it clear to everyone that Froome seems to be the stronger rider, and we are just saddened by the fact that the rider who seem to be the strongest in the peleton at the moment is forced to be a domestique. Would have been epic had he been able to take his chance.

Winterfold said:
]I saw Froome racing like a headless chicken like he does/B] and Wiggo riding his own pace like he does. As soon as Yates was on the radio Froome slowed down and did his job.

That ability of Froome's to look totally dead then come back is quite useful, and makes the race exciting but Wiggo will show whose the boss in the final TT.
Are you saying froome is cycling stevie g? :D

MonteZoncolan said:
hmmm.
In interview Wiggins says DS said (in the earpiece) "Slow" to Froome.
Then a minute later Wiggins was asked by interviewer something like "what was the order?" Wiggins answer....

My earpiece had fallen out, I dont know.

sounds like BS!

I think he meant Yates told Froome to slow, and Wiggins himself only learned after the race.

On a more serious point, I was planning on putting money on Wiggins Froome 1-2 this morning, odds will be tiny now, boo hoo etc.

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Froome shown today that he is so much stronger than Wiggins. I hope he'll leave sky soon so that he can be a sole team leader and get the support so that he can win a grand tour. I really hope that Froome wins somehow but I guess for now it's all about wiggo

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't feel you should give someone permission to attack, if you aren't going to let them ride when they get clear. For that reason I'd like to see Froome win.

Cimber said:
U might be right but that brief moment made it clear to everyone that Froome seems to be the stronger rider, and we are just saddened by the fact that the rider who seem to be the strongest in the peleton at the moment is forced to be a domestique. Would have been epic had he been able to take his chance.

Froome is the strongest climber right now. Wiggins is more consistently the best in the time trials. If they were on different teams, it would probably be a very tight race.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
patrick767 said:
Froome is the strongest climber right now. Wiggins is more consistently the best in the time trials. If they were on different teams, it would probably be a very tight race.

And that would have made the Tour so so so much more interesting

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I root for Froome. Wiggins has looked very impressive but Froome has been a monster in the mountains. If a 1-2 by Sky becomes inevitable, I hope Sky lets them truly battle it out in the final week. That won't happen, but it would be nice. Hopefully Froome can get onto another team next year so he can have his own shot.

I like Wiggins, but of the top 5 riders, he's the one I'm least likely to root for simply because he hasn't shown the level of aggression and assertiveness that Cadel, Nibali, Froome and VDB have. Granted, that's not his fault as he has the strongest team, is team leader, is in the lead, and therefore doesn't have to attack constantly. But the others have shown tons of fight, which I like. I'm a sucker for the underdogs.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I've just listened to the ITV podcast for todays stage. it sounds like they got some interesting interviews with Froome and Brailsford too late to make it onto tonights Highlights show but that will be seen at the start of tomorrows coverage that sound like they could shed some interesting light on what happened today.

Froome's wife tried to annoy Wiggins today, it didn't work

hahha-kuthoer.gif

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
FujiAnton said:
I believe that today we saw a poker game from Froome, and a innocent "mistake" that showed a Wiggins not so strong.

In the mountains we saw a very strong Froome, that today was stopped by his team SKY. Leaving the sensation that he could clearly gain time on Wiggins.

Of course SKY will support Wiggins until the end as a leader. But will be Wiggins that the supporters really want to see as winner? Or they would rather see Froome winning?

I think Froome's move was planned but i could not figure out why or what, You got it right, he wanted to expose Wiggins weakness to his rivals. He is hoping that based on what they saw they will plan the next attack better. What Froome will probably do is fain exhaustion much like the pretense he did today and leave Wiggins to dry out. If one of the rivals takes over and Froome is close, Sky may unleash him

May 19, 2011
Visit site
jilbiker said:
I think Froome's move was planned but i could not figure out why or what, You got it right, he wanted to expose Wiggins weakness to his rivals. He is hoping that based on what they saw they will plan the next attack better. What Froome will probably do is fain exhaustion much like the pretense he did today and leave Wiggins to dry out. If one of the rivals takes over and Froome is close, Sky may unleash him

I like F more than W, but it was still a low move from F. What's the purpose of that attack? If you kept riding, ignored the orders from the ear piece to take things into his own hand I will just have utmost respect for his gutsy move.

Apparently he didn't, he slowed down. According to Frank, W was yelling slow down at some point, so F knew W was in some difficulty at that period of time.

So what is the real purpose? I can think of two, 1. he gambled on no orders would come from DS, in that case he can just ride away. 2. that obviously did not happen, but he still played the image that he was a team player that he took orders without questioned asked, more importantly at the same time he tested the media reactions to his move, tons of media actually backed his back by saying he is the strongest and the strongest should win. My conclusion that actually is a calculated and very successful move. He might do something in the pyrenees, let's wait and see.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I like F more than W, but it was still low move from F. What's the purpose of that attack? If you kept riding, ignored the orders from the ear piece to take things into his own hand I will just have utmost respect for his gutsy move.

Apparently he din't, he slowed down. According to Frank, W was yelling slow down at some point, so F knew W was in some difficulty at that period of time.

So what is the real purpose? I can think of two, 1. he gambled on no orders would come from DS, in that case he can just ride away. 2. that obviously did not happen, but he still played the image that he was a team player that he took orders without questioned asked, more importantly at the same time he tested the media reactions to his move, tons of media actually backed his back by saying he is the strongest and the strongest should win. My conclusion that actually is a calculated and very successful move. He might do something in the pyrenees, let's wait and see.

I can't stop laughing at that Frank comment. When did he hear this? When he was finishing 1:30 behind Wiggo?

Honestly, I think Froome is a team player. It sucks, but sometimes being part of a team means sacrificing your own aspirations for someone else. If he doesn't like it, he needs to move to another team next year. According to Vaughters, he tried to sign Froome after the Vuelta last year but couldn't afford him. So apparently Sky is taking care of him at the moment. When did someone saying "I'm riding for Brad" over and over when reporters are telling him to win the tour become dissension in the ranks?

Also, I find it kind of funny that before the Tour, all the chatter was about Wiggo and Cav not being able to coexist. Since that didn't turn out to be the case, I guess we are creating a different Sky controversy. Is it too boring to say Sky is dominating, Wiggo is doing exactly what he said he would do, Cuddles cracked, and Rolland won his second queen stage in as many years? I think this is purely media and twitter driven.