• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leaders for the GTs of 2017

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
sQiD said:

Anyone heard an update on this? I really thought that Chaves would do the TDF next year, given the route.

My understanding is the team would prefer Chaves rides the TDF, but the man himself enjoys riding in Italy - At the same time, the Yates brothers are keener on the TDF - My guess is one of the Yates and Kreuzeger will ride the TDF.

Anyway OBE has a team camp this week in Italy where further plans will be made.

Although not officially announced yet, Froome should be targeting Tour - Vuelta next year.
That means just one GT left for the rest of Sky's GT aspirants. Considering none of the mentioned rest has beaten the principal rivals they'll meet at the Giro, Sky will need to come up with inventive approach in order to please the riders' ambitions and fulfill the team's goals.
A joint leadership would be inventive enough for Sky's standards.

Re:

sir fly said:
Although not officially announced yet, Froome should be targeting Tour - Vuelta next year.
That means just one GT left for the rest of Sky's GT aspirants. Considering none of the mentioned rest has beaten the principal rivals they'll meet at the Giro, Sky will need to come up with inventive approach in order to please the riders' ambitions and fulfill the team's goals.

Talk of a Poels/Landa/Thomas triple threat evokes memories of the Ullrich/Vino/Kloden arrangement at T-Mobile in the 2005 Tour. That turned out to be semi successful with a 3rd and 5th overall placing.

I don't see why Sky can't start with these three as leaders. It's most likely that one will struggle early or have bad luck, and the team could possibly then decide to abandon them with the view of having them at 100% for Froome at Le Tour.

Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
sir fly said:

Talk of a Poels/Landa/Thomas triple threat evokes memories of the Ullrich/Vino/Kloden arrangement at T-Mobile in the 2005 Tour. That turned out to be semi successful with a 3rd and 5th overall placing.

I don't see why Sky can't start with these three as leaders. It's most likely that one will struggle early or have bad luck, and the team could possibly then decide to abandon them with the view of having them at 100% for Froome at Le Tour.
I agree.
In fact, only one GT available for all super-domestiques in Sky could make them really dangerous since they won't be expected to take control and initiative, but should be equal to the main GC contenders.
Land and Poels, more likely than Thomas, will start the Giro as protected riders, and I'd add one more rider capable of riding for the GC.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
*** the quick said:
Majka has changed his mind and now is targeting GC in the TdF, most likely he will skip the Giro.

Source:
http://rowery.org/2016/12/07/rafal-majka-zmienia-plany-tour-de-france-pierwszym-planie/
(available in Polish only)
Probably not the smartest thing to do, but it's not like he'd be a favourite at the Giro, against that kind of Field finishing top 5 would be a success for him. I wanted to see him stagehunting at the Giro.
I wonder if König will ride the Giro or will they just send the young, German speaking gc prospects + Bennett (I like Pelucchi, but he shouldn't be your main sprinter for a gt).
Edit:
Rohan wants to ride the Giro as a protected rider and as plan b (if TJVG fails), he wants to try to race a gt for the gc.
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2016/12/07/grand-tour-ambitions-fuelling-dennis-2017

TRENDING THREADS