• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leading GB cyclist tests positive (yikes)!

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's going to get away with it.
He probably has a history of asthma- Doctor's diagnosis
He would have TUE from earlier for the same
He would have returned the similar levels of the drug in his system from before with TUEs
His team has already admitted error.
Rule 1- All drugs are allowed if a) not detected b) not banned c) TUEs available
Rule 2 - Before jumping on a bike throw away ethics

Re: Re:

sniper said:
King Boonen said:
snipped for brevity
thanks for the trouble.
tbs, the problem i have is with the "clearly false and made up" label. It may have been made up, but not by Benotti. I had seen tweets suggesting similar.
Seems it's not so straightforward.

You'll see I asked the question, initially Bennotti didn't supply any sources, so there was no other conclusion I could come to. It was then perpetuated with utter rubbish even after it was proven to be false. This kind of thing really annoys me as it'll later turn up as fact or be quoted as such.

vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:

From your own link (I've combined the different trade names into one table):

Drug Name Dosage Form/Route Strength Marketing Status Company
TERBUTALINE SULFATE TABLET;ORAL Multiple Strengths Discontinued IMPAX LABS
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Prescription BEDFORD
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Discontinued TEVA PHARMS USA
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Prescription FRESENIUS KABI USA
TERBUTALINE SULFATE TABLET;ORAL Multiple Strengths Prescription LANNETT
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Prescription AKORN
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Prescription HIKMA FARMACEUTICA
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Prescription UNITED BIOMEDCL
BRETHAIRE AEROSOL, METERED;INHALATION 0.2MG/INH Discontinued No
BRETHINE TABLET;ORAL Multiple Strengths Discontinued LEHIGH VALLEY
BRETHINE INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Discontinued AAIPHARMA LLC
BRICANYL INJECTABLE;INJECTION 1MG/ML Discontinued SANOFI AVENTIS US
BRICANYL TABLET;ORAL Multiple Strengths Discontinued SANOFI AVENTIS US
BRICANYL AEROSOL, METERED;INHALATION 0.2MG/INH Discontinued SANOFI AVENTIS US

So in the USA all the inhalers are discontinued, and one company supplies tablets and five do injections.

Any other asthmatics here? What are you currently prescribed?

Seriously? You ignore the more pertinent information such as the approval and info on inhalers in the UK and Australia and focus on the US? You are wrong. Accept it.

sniper said:
gillan1969 said:
sniper said:
Irondan said:
Appears he's needed this med for a long time. :rolleyes:

Here come the troops!

rVyNbca7FQuU5bQIRmew6mUUUoSyye8MZVNHnLZ762FEG-OWGb8J_usxpAiMpfaMVqei-_HAN_iuGuixhpaz39u8dOVFxX9rgPwC37gczEnRHkM6vWvjDc9k20Y9JkddOJs9xQdjOMSjFKVC3s4zYrQe1G7eA2pnFZ3pyJZ-_wTQxwfW6JANJQcewUrravPwjyPPgCcYbvgeRiExjNWQqYpDa138_EVMJvrDNVE3wxV35-edV6uzLIacvDgXcl8JyXbnyybHVQs7g16Z0yF5KuxH0QrrabeJmgeTd8094q9ARv7f8Ckc1zHbLkwd3HB2rH0Iw7jwa07donKzb13We16TL7o55S2CpjrWQ87MwcPS4wfAi-Snvv2JbUcUy04JXGlRy-DHx1V-4uedE7oACvikFUmLVba5hmR93CikqVN7fvg3_Q3QvmFNVupyI3a-mOt-HQ8pjQUYCqjJNAJXC097P63EMDsQ9xxhLbtbGCOlzoyd5GYaZdgCHoizLxhQeahCRCsXC2M_FdXlS6KlfLf1BW4tn9boikRZzu1T7_SJsDSI0BIYUePL4l1BJsC-WT0M=w642-h370-no
Yikes, it takes quite the effort to insult that quarter of a brain of mine.
Props to this guy for making that look easy.

yup really struggled to that 5th on the stage :)
from Doull's wiki:
"In November 2015 Owain Doull confirmed that he would remain at WIGGINS for the 2016 season before joining an unnamed UCI WorldTeam on a two-year deal from 2017"
Orica by any chance?

indeed
and..whilst my google search was cursory I never found them (asthma and simon yates) mentioned in the same breath (no pun intended) until this....if he had struggled so much you would think it would at least get a google hit?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:

From your own link (I've combined the different trade names into one table):

Drug Name Dosage Form/Route Strength Marketing Status Company
TERBUTALINE SULFATE TABLET;ORAL  Multiple Strengths  Discontinued IMPAX LABS
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Prescription BEDFORD
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Discontinued TEVA PHARMS USA
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Prescription FRESENIUS KABI USA
TERBUTALINE SULFATE TABLET;ORAL  Multiple Strengths  Prescription LANNETT
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Prescription AKORN
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Prescription HIKMA FARMACEUTICA
TERBUTALINE SULFATE INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Prescription UNITED BIOMEDCL
BRETHAIRE  AEROSOL, METERED;INHALATION  0.2MG/INH  Discontinued  No
BRETHINE TABLET;ORAL  Multiple Strengths  Discontinued LEHIGH VALLEY
BRETHINE INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Discontinued AAIPHARMA LLC
BRICANYL INJECTABLE;INJECTION  1MG/ML  Discontinued SANOFI AVENTIS US
BRICANYL TABLET;ORAL  Multiple Strengths  Discontinued SANOFI AVENTIS US
BRICANYL AEROSOL, METERED;INHALATION  0.2MG/INH  Discontinued SANOFI AVENTIS US

So in the USA all the inhalers are discontinued, and one company supplies tablets and five do injections.

It's listed in the British National Formulary so it can be prescribed in the UK for asthma. I'm taking Salbutamol and Beclometasone.

vedrafjord said:

I was on terbutaline for a while ~15years ago, I remember they were branded Turbohalers :D At some point they must have changed my script because the one I have now is salbutamol. In the UK fwiw.

Wonder if de Yates-broertjes are regretting not signing for Sky...

King Boonen said:
Seriously? You ignore the more pertinent information such as the approval and info on inhalers in the UK and Australia and focus on the US? You are wrong. Accept it.

I never made any claims about usage in the UK or Australia. I mentioned the US in passing in one line of a larger post which you called "absolute rubbish" even though your own link says the same thing - that terbutaline inhalers are no longer available there.

Back to the actual point - salbutamol is the most popular asthma drug in the world, as one of the most common drugs of any kind. It also doesn't require a TUE.

If you want to talk about the UK and Australia:

This article from Australian Prescriber journal http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/17/3/artid/87 lists salbutamol as one of the 50 most prescribed drugs in Australia but doesn't mention terbutaline.

This repost of 2007 NHS data showing the 100 most prescribed drugs in the UK http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4009 has salbutamol at number 5 but has no mention of terbutaline either.

So again, why did Yates take terbutaline and not salbutamol?

sniper said:
gillan1969 said:
Irondan said:
Appears he's needed this med for a long time. :rolleyes:

Here come the troops!
Yikes, it takes quite the effort to insult that quarter of a brain of mine.
Props to this guy for making that look easy.

yup really struggled to that 5th on the stage :)
from Doull's wiki:
"In November 2015 Owain Doull confirmed that he would remain at WIGGINS for the 2016 season before joining an unnamed UCI WorldTeam on a two-year deal from 2017"
Orica by any chance?

That is funny.

If his name was Simonoski Yatesovic, he would be blacklisted. But because he is British, its an honest mistake - admin error :rolleyes:

Ok guys, take the tinfoil hats off. They put on the doping control form, at the time of the test, he was taking the stuff. Yeah, really trying to hide something when you willfully put on the form at the time of the test you are taking something that doesn't allow you to compete without a TUE?!?!?!

With that said, we could go on and on about justification of taking certain drugs/treatment for "accepted conditions". Why in quotes? Asthma...oh, must be a legitimate issue. He breathed into a plastic container and the little floating ball didn't stay up very long, he must have "asthma", give him drugs.

But, we can show that abnormally/malfunctioning testis that lead to a lower Testosterone level with blood test, MRIs of the pituitary and other testing will show a person could/should take Testosterone as a treatment.

What's the difference? Both benefit the rider from an abnormal health condition, which the drugs clearly help them to compete.

Either they can't breathe, and don't race...or they take this magical drug, and can breathe, and are allowed to compete. How hypocritical is the entire drug/doping situation?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:

I never made any claims about usage in the UK or Australia. I mentioned the US in passing in one line of a larger post which you called "absolute rubbish" even though your own link says the same thing - that terbutaline inhalers are no longer available there.

Back to the actual point - salbutamol is the most popular asthma drug in the world, as one of the most common drugs of any kind. It also doesn't require a TUE.

If you want to talk about the UK and Australia:

This article from Australian Prescriber journal http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/17/3/artid/87 lists salbutamol as one of the 50 most prescribed drugs in Australia but doesn't mention terbutaline.

This repost of 2007 NHS data showing the 100 most prescribed drugs in the UK http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4009 has salbutamol at number 5 but has no mention of terbutaline either.

So again, why did Yates take terbutaline and not salbutamol?

The medical advice might have been that terbutaline was better for him. Thankfully I don't have bad asthma, but I can feel very uncomfortable with it, but whenever I've used salbutamol I haven't felt that it was that effective. Years ago an American ENT consultant told me I'd be better off using one of the old school asthma drugs, but I can't remember which one.

BullsFan22 said:
Any bets on him getting a pass?

Cookson just issued a press release:

"We set up an independent taskforce to look into the issue of asthmatics in the peloton along with this case specially. The independent team went over the records of the athlete concerned and once it was confirmed that the athlete was indeed British and spoke English a backdated TUE was issued and the provisional suspension removed. The UCI will not be commenting further on the issue.”

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
He will get a pass because he is from the clean British cycling. Everyone knows these guys don't dope.

Asthma is a pro cycling wide epidemic. The Centers for Disease Control need to do a study on how these cyclist contract asthma in such large percentages. This is a disease cluster. Sure hope it does not fan out into the general population. scary stuff.

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Pointless anecote. I presented with asthma in the 90s. I was given Bricanyl, which I've just looked up and is terbutaline. So (in my case at least) it's not a weird and exotic drug. Quite why my doc chose it I don't know. I don't get asthma any more so I haven't got a repeat prescription for a few years now. I did used to use it when I was a runner. Which makes me a big cheat. Luckily, I was rubbish, so nobody cared.

Glenn_Wilson said:
BullsFan22 said:
He will get a pass because he is from the clean British cycling. Everyone knows these guys don't dope.

Asthma is a pro cycling wide epidemic. The Centers for Disease Control need to do a study on how these cyclist contract asthma in such large percentages. This is a disease cluster. Sure hope it does not fan out into the general population. scary stuff.

With respect to cycling, other endurance sports have had this issue as well. Nordic and Biathlon have had to deal with it, though I don't recall anyone actually being banned for taking asthma medication. It's a touchy subject, as quite a few top athletes from Norway, the top nation in cross country skiing, 'suffer' from asthma and take things like symbicort (among other things) to 'help' them combat asthma. How much they actually take in, how much they actually 'suffer' from asthma, I don't know, but I'd like to venture and say it could be easy to get hasty and take in more than you need to, thus enhancing your performance.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I wonder how many cases there are like this. Yates was unlucky that this came out into the media, while usually cases like this would be resolved behind closed doors. But just highlights how doping is still rife within a) the peloton, and b) 'the new generation'

Agreed. Doping is still very cool! This supposed independence of the CADF really just allows for ways and means to circumvent the testing process.

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
So quick straw poll, as an asthma suffer for in excess of 40 years (using both a Ventolin Reliever Inhaler and Clenil Modulite Preventer) should I be allowed to compete whilst taking these drugs which obviously do "enhance" my natural performance capabilities as without them I would struggle to run/ride at all.

As a fellow asthma sufferer (and hopeless amateur racer) my opinion is "yes, absolutely". Clearly there's abuse occurring, but the fairest way to stop that is to look at their medical history - if like me you were diagnosed with asthma age 3 by your family doctor and hospitalised several time growing up, then you're legit. If you were completely fine until a cycling team doctor diagnosed you age 23, absolutely not.

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Re:

vedrafjord said:
As a fellow asthma sufferer (and hopeless amateur racer) my opinion is "yes, absolutely". Clearly there's abuse occurring, but the fairest way to stop that is to look at their medical history - if like me you were diagnosed with asthma age 3 by your family doctor and hospitalised several time growing up, then you're legit. If you were completely fine until a cycling team doctor diagnosed you age 23, absolutely not.

I was diagnosed at about 5 or 6 if memory serves, and yes I am a hopeless amatuer as well. Interestingly the subject of drug testing in amateur events and inhalers came up at local CTT meeting last week and had me looking very closely at the guidelines for asmtha sufferers even before the Yates story broke

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

vedrafjord said:
I think that is very correct. Never understood why Salbutamol was legalized in the first place.

The only reason cyclists 'have' asthma is because of the benefits the inhalers give.

same with a lot of other substances

*edit: leading GB cyclist: funny*

thehog said:
BullsFan22 said:

Cookson just issued a press release:

"We set up an independent taskforce to look into the issue of asthmatics in the peloton along with this case specially. The independent team went over the records of the athlete concerned and once it was confirmed that the athlete was indeed British and spoke English a backdated TUE was issued and the provisional suspension removed. The UCI will not be commenting further on the issue.”
This is a joke, right? :eek: