• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leading GB cyclist tests positive (yikes)!

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ferryman said:
TheSpud said:
vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:
Seriously? You ignore the more pertinent information such as the approval and info on inhalers in the UK and Australia and focus on the US? You are wrong. Accept it.

I never made any claims about usage in the UK or Australia. I mentioned the US in passing in one line of a larger post which you called "absolute rubbish" even though your own link says the same thing - that terbutaline inhalers are no longer available there.

Back to the actual point - salbutamol is the most popular asthma drug in the world, as one of the most common drugs of any kind. It also doesn't require a TUE.

If you want to talk about the UK and Australia:

This article from Australian Prescriber journal http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/17/3/artid/87 lists salbutamol as one of the 50 most prescribed drugs in Australia but doesn't mention terbutaline.

This repost of 2007 NHS data showing the 100 most prescribed drugs in the UK http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4009 has salbutamol at number 5 but has no mention of terbutaline either.

So again, why did Yates take terbutaline and not salbutamol?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to cost, ie Salbutamol is cheap as chips, but possibly only 75% as effective as others (e.g. Terbutaline) that are 4-5 times the price. That's me speculating but it could be a reason why Salbutamol is prescribed. In the UK its about £8 odd for a prescription - if Sal costs less than £8 and Terb is, say, £15+ then I can see why Sal would be prescribed.

I'll forgive you as you don't live in the UK but I know you meant to say 'in parts of the U.K.'.

Actually i do live in the UK, but yes i was ignorant of the free prescriptions in Scotland until I looked it up just now. My comment is still valid though, probably more so, if Sal is cheaper then I can see why it would be further up the prescription tables.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

rick james said:
TourOfSardinia said:
If they had banned Yates they have had to retroactively ban Dawg for his antics way back when.

I just feel sorry for AleJet who did get a ban and lost some wins due to a similar asthma incident.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Petacchi#Doping_allegations
Froome does not require a TUE for his asthma ....but please keep the big agenda going

Froome doesn't have asthma.........but please keep the obfuscation going.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
ferryman said:
TheSpud said:
vedrafjord said:
King Boonen said:
Seriously? You ignore the more pertinent information such as the approval and info on inhalers in the UK and Australia and focus on the US? You are wrong. Accept it.

I never made any claims about usage in the UK or Australia. I mentioned the US in passing in one line of a larger post which you called "absolute rubbish" even though your own link says the same thing - that terbutaline inhalers are no longer available there.

Back to the actual point - salbutamol is the most popular asthma drug in the world, as one of the most common drugs of any kind. It also doesn't require a TUE.

If you want to talk about the UK and Australia:

This article from Australian Prescriber journal http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/17/3/artid/87 lists salbutamol as one of the 50 most prescribed drugs in Australia but doesn't mention terbutaline.

This repost of 2007 NHS data showing the 100 most prescribed drugs in the UK http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4009 has salbutamol at number 5 but has no mention of terbutaline either.

So again, why did Yates take terbutaline and not salbutamol?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to cost, ie Salbutamol is cheap as chips, but possibly only 75% as effective as others (e.g. Terbutaline) that are 4-5 times the price. That's me speculating but it could be a reason why Salbutamol is prescribed. In the UK its about £8 odd for a prescription - if Sal costs less than £8 and Terb is, say, £15+ then I can see why Sal would be prescribed.

I'll forgive you as you don't live in the UK but I know you meant to say 'in parts of the U.K.'.

Actually i do live in the UK, but yes i was ignorant of the free prescriptions in Scotland until I looked it up just now. My comment is still valid though, probably more so, if Sal is cheaper then I can see why it would be further up the prescription tables.

I started taking statins about ten years ago, and to begin with I was suffering from aching joints. I looked the statin up and found this was a common side effect, but it was prescribed because it was the cheapest. There was another more expensive version where the side efects were reduced. I got my doctor to prescribe the more expensive one and the problems went. So in England at least if Sal is cheaper than Terbutaline and appears to work for you you'll get Sal.

It's a horrible feeling when one of your favourite riders fails a drug test. It's never happened to me before. I can feel myself reaching for the excuses, hoping that there's some explanation that means he doesn't get banned. It's sad really. Rank hypocrisy.

I mean, if it was Froome or Thomas? I'd be like......... yeah, saw that one coming. But Simon Yates? Noooooo. :(

Re:

SlickMongoose said:
It's a horrible feeling when one of your favourite riders fails a drug test. It's never happened to me before. I can feel myself reaching for the excuses, hoping that there's some explanation that means he doesn't get banned. It's sad really. Rank hypocrisy.

I mean, if it was Froome or Thomas? I'd be like......... yeah, saw that one coming. But Simon Yates? Noooooo. :(
Its precisely the opposite. Froome and Thomas are the ones who won't test positive, and definitely not while Sky's close friend Brian Cookson sits in the UCI Pres chair.

Benotti69 said:
rick james said:
TourOfSardinia said:
If they had banned Yates they have had to retroactively ban Dawg for his antics way back when.

I just feel sorry for AleJet who did get a ban and lost some wins due to a similar asthma incident.
Froome does not require a TUE for his asthma ....but please keep the big agenda going

Love for you to back that claim up...I doubt you can

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Inquitus said:
Cycling Ireland Doctor, Conor McGrane, well known for his anti-doping views, gives his thoughts to Shane Stokes.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/cycling-federation-doctor-nothing-surprising-about-prevalence-of-asthma-amongst-pro-riders/
I think its quite a naive perspective from a Doctor. He's asked about a study linked to performance enhancement and rebuffs completely without asking what the study is and without reading. He hasn't quoted any studies against and talks about studies on animals- Its just an opinion backed by nothing. Thee least he could do is some research. In fairness he is stating facts when talking about someone with asthma- that it would bring someone back to normal- but this is about use for performance enhancement and his opinion doent hold water. We need proper researched opinion to form a good basis for or against the use.

rick james said:
Benotti69 said:
rick james said:
TourOfSardinia said:

The fact that he forgot to mention it while crying about all the other fake diseases he has, in his book, is backup enough

The Hitch said:
SlickMongoose said:

Its precisely the opposite. Froome and Thomas are the ones who won't test positive, and definitely not while Sky's close friend Brian Cookson sits in the UCI Pres chair.

Deep down, we all know just how clean Froome, Thomas etc are.

But with some of the younger guys like Yates, Chaves, Pinot, Bardet (not younger guys like Quintana & Alaphillipe, but younger guys with decent results and not blatantly beating known dopers) etc, I had some hope. That hope has been shattered with this news

rick james said:
Benotti69 said:
rick james said:
TourOfSardinia said:

And Froome isn't doping either - he's never tested positive :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
The Hitch said:
SlickMongoose said:

But with some of the younger guys like Yates, Chaves, Pinot, Bardet (not younger guys like Quintana & Alaphillipe, but younger guys with decent results and not blatantly beating known dopers) etc, I had some hope. That hope has been shattered with this news

Why hope that younger riders coming into a culture where the team manager was a doper, the DS all doped, the doctors are there to ensure riders dope or don't trip tests, where soigneurs and masseurs are apart of the system, even down to bus drivers.....?

The whole need to dope to race permeates the sport of cycling top to bottom.

The levels of hypocrisy int he sport are huge. As has been pointed to many times, Ellingworth ripping Virenques photo out of a the TdF book but leaving Tom Simpsons.......Good dopers and bad dopers, but all dope!

Benotti69 said:
PremierAndrew said:
The Hitch said:
SlickMongoose said:

Why hope that younger riders coming into a culture where the team manager was a doper, the DS all doped, the doctors are there to ensure riders dope or don't trip tests, where soigneurs and masseurs are apart of the system, even down to bus drivers.....?

The whole need to dope to race permeates the sport of cycling top to bottom.

The levels of hypocrisy int he sport are huge. As has been pointed to many times, Ellingworth ripping Virenques photo out of a the TdF book but leaving Tom Simpsons.......Good dopers and bad dopers, but all dope!
^^^This.

As much as I love Orica from a sporting and personality perspective, along with a fair few of the riders (Chaves, Matthews, Hayman, Ewan, Durbridge) they have to be one of the dodgier teams from a behind the scenes perspective. With Stephens and White pulling the strings it's hard to imagine that riders aren't being supplied with at least some premium fuel.

Then you have to wonder what the longer running teams, with more established staff are up to...

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

yaco said:
zigmeister said:
Ok guys, take the tinfoil hats off. They put on the doping control form, at the time of the test, he was taking the stuff. Yeah, really trying to hide something when you willfully put on the form at the time of the test you are taking something that doesn't allow you to compete without a TUE?!?!?!

With that said, we could go on and on about justification of taking certain drugs/treatment for "accepted conditions". Why in quotes? Asthma...oh, must be a legitimate issue. He breathed into a plastic container and the little floating ball didn't stay up very long, he must have "asthma", give him drugs.

But, we can show that abnormally/malfunctioning testis that lead to a lower Testosterone level with blood test, MRIs of the pituitary and other testing will show a person could/should take Testosterone as a treatment.

What's the difference? Both benefit the rider from an abnormal health condition, which the drugs clearly help them to compete.

Either they can't breathe, and don't race...or they take this magical drug, and can breathe, and are allowed to compete. How hypocritical is the entire drug/doping situation?

Excellent post - Hit the nail on the head.

Let's say I have a physical disability such as a loss of limb, motor neurone disease or blindness, but I want to compete at an elite level. What do I do? I compete in disabled sport. Why should asthma be any different?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
These athletes don't have asthma!

If they did they would never have got to the elite level of their sport.

Asthma medication is part of a plethora of PEDs to enhance performance.

Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
Asthmatic pro top level cyclist. LMAO

Cool story bro.

Not sure if anyone else saw it on Twitter but someone posted a short video clip of Kirby commentating on the Yates positive test, apparently Yates; "has had his name dragged through the mud unfairly due to some erroneous tests”, LOL! :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Asthmatic pro top level cyclist. LMAO

Cool story bro.

Not sure if anyone else saw it on Twitter but someone posted a short video clip of Kirby commentating on the Yates positive test, apparently Yates; "has had his name dragged through the mud unfairly due to some erroneous tests”, LOL! :rolleyes:
Great stuff. Kirby is such a positive speaker.

Re:

Benotti69 said:

No and yes. I personally know two former Div2/Pro Conti riders (one was a stagiare for a Div 1 team for a season) who are genuine asthmatics and still carry inhalers. But both have also said that the medications are abused.

42x16ss said:
Benotti69 said:

No and yes. I personally know two former Div2/Pro Conti riders (one was a stagiare for a Div 1 team for a season) who are genuine asthmatics and still carry inhalers. But both have also said that the medications are abused.

What do you define as genuine asthma?

TRENDING THREADS