• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Leadville is a Scam

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to do this race/ride to just say i did it. I like challenging rides and this looks like one of them and after my friend suggested it three years ago i figured i would try to get back in shape and motivated.

So i got rejected but in my rejection email i was told i could definitely gain entry if i did one of Carmichael's leadville training camps. Curious I looked it up and it was $1250 bucks for the 2 day training camp. Total BS and i won't be registering next year.

See the email below:

Dear Leadville Trail 100 Family,

We deeply regret that we were unable to accept your application into
the 2010 Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race. We really wish we
could accommodate every interested rider, but we simply can’t. Our
goal and primary obligation is to offer every racer the nation’s
highest quality athletic experience with the utmost degree of safety,
medical care and racer support. The ever increasing numbers of
returning racers and new applicants are testimony we are meeting our
goal. We do not keep a waiting list and cannot yet accept entries for

There is still ONE way you can gain entry into the race. For the third
year, the Leadville Trail100 has partnered with Carmichael Training
Systems to host three 2-day mountain bike camps in Leadville in July
2010 in preparation for the LT100 MTB Race. Camp participants will
earn guaranteed entry into the race and the race entry fee is included
in the camp fee. Athletes who are unsuccessful in the lottery will
have first priority to get into a CTS LT100 Camp. Call CTS today at
866-355-0645 or visit http://www.trainright.com to reserve a camp spot and
we’ll see you at the start line on August14.

We would also encourage you to consider entering the awesome 50 mile
“Silver Rush” on July 17. It’s a tough, demanding and incredibly
beautiful ride in Leadville’s historic east side mining district.
Also new this year is 24 Hours of Leadville on Sept. 4 & 5 – for when
100 miles isn’t enough! Try it solo or grab some of your friends and
on the 24 Hours of Leadville race by including this Code: 24Pb on the
race application. Simply download it from the web site, fill it our
and mail it in!

Last, but certainly not least, we always need and welcome volunteers
to assist the mountain bike and running events. Not only is it very
rewarding to help other riders and runners achieve their goals, but
preference in the 2011 entry process is also given to those who
volunteer for any of our 2010 races.

We are sincerely grateful for your enthusiasm and dedication to the
“Race Across the Sky”.

euphrades said:
I wanted to do this race/ride to just say i did it. I like challenging rides and this looks like one of them and after my friend suggested it three years ago i figured i would try to get back in shape and motivated.

So i got rejected but in my rejection email i was told i could definitely gain entry if i did one of Carmichael's leadville training camps. Curious I looked it up and it was $1250 bucks for the 2 day training camp. Total BS and i won't be registering next year.

See the email below:

We deeply regret that we were unable to accept your application into
the 2010 Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race.

BLA BLA BLA

There is still ONE way you can gain entry into the race. For the third
year, the Leadville Trail100 has partnered with Carmichael Training
Systems to host three 2-day mountain bike camps in Leadville in July
2010 in preparation for the LT100 MTB Race. Camp participants will
earn guaranteed entry into the race and the race entry fee is included
in the camp fee. Athletes who are unsuccessful in the lottery will
have first priority to get into a CTS LT100 Camp. Call CTS today at
866-355-0645 or visit http://www.trainright.com to reserve a camp spot and
we’ll see you at the start line on August14.

BLA BLA BLA

“Race Across the Sky”.

Wow only $625 a day to listen to The Kid pontificate, and they give you a free entry.......such a deal.:rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
scam-o-rama

Leadville is a scam;riding fireroads for how long? for how much?
Gimme some singletrack dammit!! There are other 100 milers out there with single track,all they lack is the hype,and the fact that Douchestrong doesn't ride in them. Which IMO is a good thing. Go suck the hype and ride fireroads if you want;but anyone in Co. could tell you about 100 other better free rides!
:cool:

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Totally agree. My wife is already on the ball in finding some other cool places to do some riding.

You speak of Utah, my inlaws live in St George and i am dying to do some real riding out there.

No more hopnig to ride leadville for me.

euphrades said:
Totally agree. My wife is already on the ball in finding some other cool places to do some riding.

You speak of Utah, my inlaws live in St George and i am dying to do some real riding out there.

No more hopnig to ride leadville for me.

Gooseberry Mesa is a spectacular trail. Hit the Gem Trail as well, which starts in Hurricane. Lots of others. If you're going to ride out in Utah, ride Moab in the spring and the Salt Lake area mountains in the summer.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Gooseberry Mesa is a spectacular trail. Hit the Gem Trail as well, which starts in Hurricane. Lots of others. If you're going to ride out in Utah, ride Moab in the spring and the Salt Lake area mountains in the summer.

Everyone should ride Moab at least once. I think it's pretty commercialized now BUT there is nothing quite like it.

And it's not too far of a drive from St George...

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Leadville is scam?

So..... Is everyone here angry because they didn't get in? Because they didn't win the lottery? Because they don't respect the safety issues that could result from having thousands upon thousands of riders? Because you all feel a sense of entitlement? Or...

Are you angry because of the gouging that CTS is doing to try and make a buck? However, remember that they did pay a hefty sum in sponsorship. They purchased that right.

Remember, you don't have to go. Oh, and don't kid yourselves, you would absolutely go even if "dueche-strong" did the ride. I don't think anyone here would say "no" to an opportunity to ride.

inquire said:
So..... Is everyone here angry because they didn't get in? Because they didn't win the lottery? Because they don't respect the safety issues that could result from having thousands upon thousands of riders? Because you all feel a sense of entitlement? Or...

Are you angry because of the gouging that CTS is doing to try and make a buck? However, remember that they did pay a hefty sum in sponsorship. They purchased that right.

Remember, you don't have to go. Oh, and don't kid yourselves, you would absolutely go even if "dueche-strong" did the ride. I don't think anyone here would say "no" to an opportunity to ride.

The alarm went off in the fanboy cave. :D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
inquire said:

Let me guess, you purchased the Carmichael Training systems Platinum package and it totally helped you finish your local MS 150?

Are you bummed that your training package did not include the "Extract of Cortisone" Strock, Kaiter, Lachuga, and Armstrong's did?
http://velonews.competitor.com/2000/12/news/strock-speaks_79

A

Anonymous

flyor64 said:
Everyone should ride Moab at least once. I think it's pretty commercialized now BUT there is nothing quite like it.

And it's not too far of a drive from St George...

Absolutely. Ridden there three times, and there is nothing like it. It may be a bit too hyped, but the trails are sweet and the scenery is amazingly beautiful. First time I went, I also put slicks on and rode into Arches and hiked the trails (couldn't ride on them, but there are plenty of things to hide your bike behind.)

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
inquire said:

Definitely a fanboy, first post, and defending

I am not complaining i didn't get in because of safety reasons that i am cool with. I am complaining because i am being told there is preferential treatment to volunteers, and there is a way to by my way into the race. This almost reminds me of the Sweepstakes that I used to get that said you would have a better chance of winning if you bought these magazines.

ITS CRAP!!!!

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
New dude here..but this seems a little typical of where some of these grassroot events ended up going. Not only is Leadville a scam, even if you get in the lottery $275 seems ridiculous.

Remember when Mountain Bike racing was fun???

euphrades said:
You forgot the 15 dollars to get in the lotter, i thought it would be applied ot the 275. It doesn't

It is this sort of thing which prevents me from volunteering to help at lots of events. People give their time for free and the promoter walks away with the money. As long as it is a for profit business, the help should get paid.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
275 is a bargain.These races should be done on resume only. Like Ironman you should have had to qualify at some lesser races before hand. Paying CC @1200+ dollars is BS that still should not qualify you for the race. If this the direction that MTB racing is going they are sunk. Can't fill the fields for a 30 mile race,can't get cash and or product from sponsors so they change the game and pass the cost on to the would be racer. To anybody who as ever put on a race..I wonder what the "Additionally Insured Certificate" looks like for this thing.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
275 is a bargain.These races should be done on resume only. Like Ironman you should have had to qualify at some lesser races before hand. Paying CC @1200+ dollars is BS that still should not qualify you for the race. If this the direction that MTB racing is going they are sunk. Can't fill the fields for a 30 mile race,can't get cash and or product from sponsors so they change the game and pass the cost on to the would be racer. To anybody who as ever put on a race..I wonder what the "Additionally Insured Certificate" looks like for this thing.

Not a bargin; 60 dollars is fair but not a bargin either.

You have to look at it this way. Most will have to drive or fly, get a hotel, pay for eating out and etc. Its an investment to do a ride like this. Not that donig the Ironman would be any different but 275 dollar is a lot. I have done 4 day 100 mile tours thats cost less and they have more things to organize other than some fire roads. One is to shutdown the Mackinac bridge so cyclists can cross

euphrades said:
You have to look at it this way. Most will have to drive or fly, get a hotel, pay for eating out and etc. Its an investment to do a ride like this. Not that donig the Ironman would be any different but 275 dollar is a lot.

This is precisely why they can charge 275 or more. When you total the costs of an out of state person to do the race, including equipment that gives dubious advantages, then the 275 is not much. This is the same reason Ironman tris can charge what they do. When someone drops a couple of grand on his third set of aero wheels, $500 to do his one big race of the year is not much.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
This is precisely why they can charge 275 or more. When you total the costs of an out of state person to do the race, including equipment that gives dubious advantages, then the 275 is not much. This is the same reason Ironman tris can charge what they do. When someone drops a couple of grand on a his third set of aero wheels, $500 to do the one big race of the year is not much.

Thats a good point.

I guess i am old school when I used to do races for anywhee from 10 to 50 dollars depending on the venue. Although Iceman in Traverse only charges 65 dollars and peopel come from all over.

That race is my one race that hates me. I never have mechnicals and two years in a row i have one in that race only. LOL

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
You should have seen a what people are willing to pay to race the NYC and Boston marathons.(6000 dollars) I am entering at Battenkills because the race number will be worth 500 bucks to the right guy. If the guy has my number and license I have a better chance of getting a result there.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
$275 a bargin??? No way!
What do you think the payback is?
Top 3? Top 20?
Or is it swag?
I never did races without hard cold cash. I didn't need a trophy or another helmet...I needed money.
Sure a race like this is fun, sorta like Chequamegon (sp) in Wisconsin. But when promoters do a sell out to Carmichael, charge way to much, and most likely pay back hardly at all...well time for a little perspective.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
E100

Moose McKnuckles said:
After reading that crap, I'd never register for Leadville. What a bunch of a-holes. F**k them.

The E100 in Utah is about 99% singletrack at an elevation of 6,400 - 10,000 feet. No problems registering.

E100 went TU a few years ago. Some folks in PC have recently started up a 75 mile event using a lot of the same singletrack (the Park City Point 2 Point) which, folks who have done both, claim is far more challenging than Leadville

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:

See the email below:

“Race Across the Sky”.

it's all just marketing.

wait till they get their own reality series on oln or discovery, then you'll see the fee go up by a factor of ten or twenty even

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I generally try to avoid the LA/CC threads for fear of being accused a fanboy (which I am not), but out of curiosity, I had a look at the La Ruta deal.

12 days of training camps at average of $550/day

7 months of premium coaching @ $335/month.

Now I am not going to argue the value of the coaching or anything else, but the daily cost of the training camps is substantially lower than you would pay for most business conferences, and coaching is CC's business.

It is a case of supply and demand. Everybody will try and charge the most they can on the basis of take-up. In other words, as long as the courses are full, then one could argue that the price is appropriate.

If you don't think it is value - dont go.

I couldn't be bothered to look up the cost of entering La Ruta directly and providing your own support (presumably by having someone travel with you and paying another airfare).

My $0.02

TRENDING THREADS