• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

L'Equipe

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I am not a reader of L'Equipe, but it seems every time that journal is quoted in Cyclingnews or elsewhere, the "news" turns out to be false. What are they, the National Enquirer of the cycling press?

I have to wonder where they got the lastest bit about Andy Schleck going to Team Radio Shack and how they published it without confirmation from Andy Schleck or anyone from Saxo Bank.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
bckrbonsai said:
I am not a reader of L'Equipe, but it seems every time that journal is quoted in Cyclingnews or elsewhere, the "news" turns out to be false. What are they, the National Enquirer of the cycling press?

I have to wonder where they got the lastest bit about Andy Schleck going to Team Radio Shack and how they published it without confirmation from Andy Schleck or anyone from Saxo Bank.

Shoot...they were not the only ones reporting on the Schlecks and Radiocrap.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
bckrbonsai said:

Every time? Do you have another example?

Transfers, no matter the sport, is often all about hearsay. Sports reporting is also barely "journalism" or "investigation" (it can be, but not often) any way you want to cut it.

L'Equipe is the most succesful daily newspaper in France. Last I heard, they were selling an average of a million a day EDIT: Well I verified and I wonder where I heard this figure: 2007 was 320.000 sold daily on average. I should lay down the crack pipe I guess, but I am sure it's still the best seller in the country by a long shot. It belongs to a powerful press group, Amaury, which also organize the Tour de France. The Tour de France was created by a friend of the director of the newspaper L'Auto, which was the ancestor of l'Equipe and the major sponsor right from the beginning. EDIT: To be precise, the TdF was an operation for l'Auto to drop their concurrent. It worked beyond any expectation.

L'Equipe has no concurrent in daily sports reporting in France. The last time someone tried, it was a miserable failure. The only other notable title is France Football, also owned by Amaury Group. As the title implies, it is dedicated to football only. It is bi-weekly IIRC. It is famous for awarding the Ballon d'Or, probably the most famous individual award a footballer can get. You'll of course find many monthly magazines about sport, but none has the same clout.

As I said at the beginning of the message, sports reporting, especially about transfers, is very much hearsay. I have a funny story about that. A couple of guy pieced a false rumour about a non existant brazilian player, supposedly coming to Saint Etienne football club. They buzzed it on forums and guess what: it ended up in France Football getting a few lines. from there the info also circulated in other, even less "serious" newspaper. The description of the player changed somewhat depending on the title as well :D A simple background check would have debunked the false information.

However, cyclism is not football, where transfers are a major period of excitement generating hundreds of rumors a day. L'Equipe is pretty well informed regarding this (as they basically are one and the same with the TdF), so I would expect the Schleck rumor to have some basis at least.

I am not a big fan of l'Equipe but they do get a lot of info and have excellent insider circuits. Being a century old newspaper will do that for you. They are the most reputable source for sports in France by a long shot: I mentioned football transfers frenzy, and fact is that while they do have hits and misses, they report far less bogus speculation than any other media outlet.

L'Auto/L'Equipe is also a major player in the legend of cycling and the TdF. I mean, they pretty much wrote it by themselves. They do have a few talented writers (as far as sports go) and they did some investigating in their history.

EDIT: They did sold more than a million the day after major sporting events though.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Quite the contrary, in terms of cycling (ONLY!!) L'Équipe are by far the most reliable around.

It's quite often that they report something, it's officially denied, they look like asses, and weeks later it turns out to be true....but nobody gives them credit for the original report. Everyone just "remembers" that they screwed up before. When they didn't.

bckrbonsai said:

Firstly give us another example.

Secondly, you may want to wait until the team rosters are out for next year before you can be sure one way or the other.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Andy & Frank

Neither Andy nor Frank are interested in going to a team where they will be dominated by Mr LA who believes in teamwork provided he wins at the end - there is an "A" in TEAM, after all, not "S" nor "I" nor "C".

Also, it is pretty clear that the A.Schleck/RS thing is a rumour. It is reported in a conditional manner, not affirmative. The headline had a friggin' question mark in it.

I suspect this may be related to our current favorite topic?

The fridge in the blue trees said:
L'équipe? Fairly good sport newspaper. Sometimes gets it right, sometimes not. Off course the only time Americans will hear about it is when there is something "anti american" or possibly slightly critical of an American in it, then the howling starts... Ignorance is bliss.

Read l'équipe and you'll find that they report as hard/correctly/incorrectly about french cyclists. If there is ever something to report on french cyclists of course.
QUOTE]

Don't generalize, Fridge - I read it daily, and I believe I'm an American (though I have been bumming around France for about a month now). I find it to be a pretty solid sports daily, and I enjoy getting the inside dirt on Euro Footie and F1 as well. Hell, they cover international swimming and track and field better than ESPN does!!! For that I am very grateful.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
ThisFrenchGuy said:
L'Auto/L'Equipe is also a major player in the legend of cycling and the TdF. I mean, they pretty much wrote it by themselves. They do have a few talented writers (as far as sports go) and they did some investigating in their history..
If Americans who love cycling could only see the terrific job L'equipe does each day during the Tour de France. 6-7 full pages dedicated to the race with the most fascinating info about the TDF included. I buy it every day when I'm in France during the TDF.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
grimpeur said:
If Americans who love cycling could only see the terrific job L'equipe does each day during the Tour de France. 6-7 full pages dedicated to the race with the most fascinating info about the TDF included. I buy it every day when I'm in France during the TDF.

most of them don't love cycling they love lance's cóck

and they don't like how l'equipe made the world realise that the cóck they're sucking is a right d|ckhead

Generalizations are fun! 53 x 11 is American so he is lying!!

Ok, maybe not... non french that don't understand french or don't bother reading l'équipe (or maybe french that don't understand french as well, if they exist or those that don't readl l'équipe) and rely on second hand information about l'équipe. This category probably includes about 98,2472% of American cyling fans.

Better?

The fridge in the blue trees said:
Generalizations are fun! 53 x 11 is American so he is lying!!

Ok, maybe not... non french that don't understand french or don't bother reading l'équipe (or maybe french that don't understand french as well, if they exist or those that don't readl l'équipe) and rely on second hand information about l'équipe. This category probably includes about 98,2472% of American cyling fans.

Better?

You lost me at Gen.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
A.S.O. runs the Tour, Paris-Roubaix, liege-Bastogne-Liege, Fleche Wallonne, Paris-Tours, Tour de l'Avenir, Paris-Nice (they bought the race during this decade). They also own Tour of Qatar and Tour du Faso in Africa, not to mention Paris-Dakar the marathon de Paris and some other sporting activities.
They saved L'equipe from bankruptcy. L'equipe was founded after the 2nd WW after L'auto folded. Why they didn't use the same name? Because they had provided its printing facilities for the Nazis during the occupation. The fact that Amaury was a prominent figure in the French resistance changed the mind of the French about L'equipe after the takeover.
A.S.O is also the owner of the Velo magazine and the Etape du tour cyclosportive. They're very powerful in the FFC (national federation), you can say they control it. That's why they can have some info from the Chatenay-Malabry lab, quicker than others.;)

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
bckrbonsai said:

I thought L'Equipe was the French version of 'Mad' magazine..is that not the case???

A

Anonymous

Eva Maria said:
It looks like this place has hit rock bottom as the king of smoke and mirrors has arrived

DB, if you want to discuss your boy Floyd do so in the clinic

Yea, I thought I smelled horse shit.