Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Flamin said:
RedheadDane said:
Flamin said:
RedheadDane said:
So, what you're saying is that he - probably - will be either a punchy climber, or a climby puncheur?
Yes. As far as I know he was a really good climber in the u23 but he'd regularly got good results/wins because of his explosive kick at the end. So it could go both ways.
At which point do you go from one to the other?
What do you mean? I don't think you can already say he's either of one them.
Of course not. But those two seem like a mirror of each other, so... where's the difference?
With a punchy climber I mean someone like Purito or Dan Martin. Someone who can both handle a longer climb as well as a murito finish.

A puncheur who climbs well is Matthews or Ulissi. Great kick on a shorter, less steep (or steep if <1km) ramp and who can handle a short to medium length climb.
 
Re: Re:

Samamba said:
DFA123 said:
Samamba said:
DFA123 said:
Samamba said:
First pro win for Bjorg Lambrecht in the Tour des Fjords.
Albasini wins the GC.
Just seen that result. Looks like from the result that Lambrecht beat Albasini and Boassen-Hagen in a gentle uphill sprint? :surprised:
Yeah, last km had a 5% gradient, with the last 300m at 8%. A finish that suits Lambrecht (pretty comparable to the Plumelec finish where he was 2nd at the EC in 2016).
That's really impressive. Is the feeling in Belgium that he'll develop into more of an Ardennes specialist than a stage racer at the moment?
Not sure tbh. I think he can develop into a Purito type of rider, so both (I'm not saying he will reach Purito's level obv). He has that punch at the end of a hill or mountain that can make him a real winner. He's a real lightweight though. His TT is absolute **** and he has troubles placing himself just before sprints or climbs. One small push from another rider and he immediately drops 20 places. Obviously that will get better with experience, but I fear that he will never be a decent TTer. It's also possible that he turns out to be more of an Alaphilippe type of rider, but in the u23 ranks he was definitely a better climber than Alaphilippe was back when he was in that category. Bernal was the only one who climbed consistently better than him, and we all know that that dude is from another planet.

His "partner in crime" Harm Vanhoucke will be a pure climber though. He will go pro after riding the Baby Giro (although he's having some fatigue problem right now) and the Tour de Savoie. I think he was the only u23 guy who was able to beat Bernal on a climb last year (first stage Savoie if I remember correctly). He's not the most consistent rider though, Lambrecht is.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the potential is still there for big improvements when he gets a bit more street wise in the pro peloton. He should get plenty of opportunities to lead in stage races at Lotto as well - even at a young age - so it will be great to see how he develops.
 
Alois Kankovsky, the Czech rider who just won the 3rd and final stage of the 2.2 rated Gemenc Grand Prix in Hungary, must be one of the most prolific winners around. From CQ, I count 44 wins in UCI races since his first victory in 2010. They are all in small Eastern European or Asian races, except for one: This year he got a win in the small French stage race Tour du Loir et Cher.
 
He's a really good track rider, but on the road he's not really fast enough to be a top level sprinter. He's often beaten by higher level riders who show up at small races who are not known as particularly good sprinters.

He's found a very good niche for himself
 
Damien Gaudin won the traditional Tour de Luxembourg prologue this evening. 3 Direct Energie in the top 5.

Saturday and Sunday are the same col de l'Europe and Pabeierbierg finishing circuits as every year. don't think the Schifflange stage on Friday is usual though - finishing on a 500m 13% climb

not even 1 WT team taking part this year :/.
 
Re:

Nirvana said:
Hammer races are killing the startlist of Luxembourg.
Well, to be fair, given the high amount of interest in the online coverage and the extensive race discussion that arose following the Hammer Stavanger races...

(Yes, I know, it's not really representative going up against the last three days of the Giro, but there were as many people on the bikes as were watching the live stream, long may this continue)
 
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Nirvana said:
Hammer races are killing the startlist of Luxembourg.
Well, to be fair, given the high amount of interest in the online coverage and the extensive race discussion that arose following the Hammer Stavanger races...

(Yes, I know, it's not really representative going up against the last three days of the Giro, but there were as many people on the bikes as were watching the live stream, long may this continue)
Yeah, I noticed the exact same. It could change in Limburg, it probably will change, but the question is how much. I don't think it will significantly which is good, obviously. The thing about the online coverage is a nugget, thats pretty telling about just how little people cared.

Maybe people just don't wanna spend the time getting used to completely new and weird point system. I know I wont. And the thing about a team winning the whole thing is weird.
 
May 4, 2016
37
0
0
Re:

escartin said:
Damien Gaudin won the traditional Tour de Luxembourg prologue this evening. 3 Direct Energie in the top 5.

Saturday and Sunday are the same col de l'Europe and Pabeierbierg finishing circuits as every year. don't think the Schifflange stage on Friday is usual though - finishing on a 500m 13% climb

not even 1 WT team taking part this year :/.
When I saw Christophe Laporte 92nd, I didn't understand
Now I do :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=iMJGCf-HZNk

It's probably over for him for GC
Tratnik, Hivert, De Bie, Kirsch, Ligthart are in good position, Prades may be a bit too far (15")
May be Krieger can compete for GC too
I don't believe in Gaudin or Petit, I think the difficult stages will be too hard for them
 
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Laporte wins stage 1.

Nasty crash against barbeles.
I saw the highlight video on Utube, I wouldn't go back and see that crash again by replaying it, but when I looked at the results there was a rider who finished almost 13 minutes down on the field and wondered if that was the guy who appeared to me to hit a tree(won't re-watch have in the past and regretted it), it happened in the last 2 Ks or so. The late finisher may have been a teammate and the list may not have included DNFs.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Samamba said:
First pro win for Bjorg Lambrecht in the Tour des Fjords.
Albasini wins the GC.
Just seen that result. Looks like from the result that Lambrecht beat Albasini and Boassen-Hagen in a gentle uphill sprint? :surprised:
Here's a video of the finish

https://twitter.com/flobikes/status/999686453050327041

EDIT: crap, already posted earlier, lol

He was 2nd behind Bernal in the Tour de l'Avenir. I wonder how far he'll go. He won't ride any GT's this year, but he would ride the Vuelta in 2019.
 
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
DFA123 said:
Samamba said:
First pro win for Bjorg Lambrecht in the Tour des Fjords.
Albasini wins the GC.
Just seen that result. Looks like from the result that Lambrecht beat Albasini and Boassen-Hagen in a gentle uphill sprint? :surprised:
He was 2nd behind Bernal in the Tour de l'Avenir. I wonder how far he'll go. He won't ride any GT's this year, but he would ride the Vuelta in 2019.
He'll ride the Vuelta this year I think.
Will also ride the WC u23 and not with the pros. Should be favorite there, but it wouldn't be the first time that a pro favorite fails to deliver because they had a really hard season (if he really rides the whole Vuelta...).

He was not only 2nd behind Bernal in L'avenir, also in Savoie. And won the Course de la Paix in front of Eg and was 2nd in Isard en Aosta begin Sivakov.
 
Re: Re:

Samamba said:
He'll ride the Vuelta this year I think.
Will also ride the WC u23 and not with the pros. Should be favorite there, but it wouldn't be the first time that a pro favorite fails to deliver because they had a really hard season (if he really rides the whole Vuelta...).

He was not only 2nd behind Bernal in L'avenir, also in Savoie. And won the Course de la Paix in front of Eg and was 2nd in Isard en Aosta begin Sivakov.
I know about his results. As for riding the Vuelta, he had this to say 5 weeks ago:

In de eerste twee, drie jaar doe je het best rustig aan. Daarom rijd ik dit jaar nog geen grote ronde. Volgend jaar doe ik wel de ronde van Spanje. Wanneer je echt een grote moteur hebt ontwikkeld kan je wel wat hebben. Als je mij naast sommige oudere profs zet, zie je dat mijn lichaam nog wat moet veranderen.
 
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Samamba said:
He'll ride the Vuelta this year I think.
Will also ride the WC u23 and not with the pros. Should be favorite there, but it wouldn't be the first time that a pro favorite fails to deliver because they had a really hard season (if he really rides the whole Vuelta...).

He was not only 2nd behind Bernal in L'avenir, also in Savoie. And won the Course de la Paix in front of Eg and was 2nd in Isard en Aosta begin Sivakov.
I know about his results. As for riding the Vuelta, he had this to say 5 weeks ago:

In de eerste twee, drie jaar doe je het best rustig aan. Daarom rijd ik dit jaar nog geen grote ronde. Volgend jaar doe ik wel de ronde van Spanje. Wanneer je echt een grote moteur hebt ontwikkeld kan je wel wat hebben. Als je mij naast sommige oudere profs zet, zie je dat mijn lichaam nog wat moet veranderen.
Le récent vainqueur d'étape au Tour des Fjords préparera ce rendez-vous, non pas au Tour de l'Avenir (Coupe des Nations), mais au Tour d'Espagne, qui sera son premier Grand Tour. "J'en ferai au moins une partie", précise l'Espoir 3e année.
DirectVelo earlier this week.
 
Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

Really don't like it if he actively wants to go to u23 world's.

Is the purpose of the rule to allow already-pro cyclists to create more interest? Because in reality it makes the race way less prestigious that by default stronger guys from a higher category are there.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY