Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 20, 2011
1,651
0
0
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Viviani seems like a pretty good sprinter, though.
And Cort seems to have re-invented himself in recent years to go for the smaller groups.
Cort is an amazing rider and Keukeleire is far from a bad rider either, but winning sprints in GT’s doesn’t equal being a world class sprinter. Viviani is good, but is also notorious for avoiding the races other top sprinters are peaking for. Top sprinters in the peak of their careers do not avoid the Tour.
 
Re: Re:

Der Effe said:
RedheadDane said:
Viviani seems like a pretty good sprinter, though.
And Cort seems to have re-invented himself in recent years to go for the smaller groups.
Cort is an amazing rider and Keukeleire is far from a bad rider either, but winning sprints in GT’s doesn’t equal being a world class sprinter. Viviani is good, but is also notorious for avoiding the races other top sprinters are peaking for. Top sprinters in the peak of their careers do not avoid the Tour.
It's not avoiding when your team simply has enough sprinters to field GT team of only sprinters, and chooses to focus on someone else in the Tour.
Or, I guess Gaviria only became a good sprinter this year when he was finally put on the startlist for the Tour.
 
Sep 20, 2011
1,651
0
0
Scheldeprijs, obviously. Was nowhere to be seen in Paris-Nice as well, beating Danny van Poppel and Sam Bennett 12 times a year hardly makes you the new Cippolini.
 
Sep 20, 2011
1,651
0
0
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Der Effe said:
RedheadDane said:
Viviani seems like a pretty good sprinter, though.
And Cort seems to have re-invented himself in recent years to go for the smaller groups.
Cort is an amazing rider and Keukeleire is far from a bad rider either, but winning sprints in GT’s doesn’t equal being a world class sprinter. Viviani is good, but is also notorious for avoiding the races other top sprinters are peaking for. Top sprinters in the peak of their careers do not avoid the Tour.
It's not avoiding when your team simply has enough sprinters to field GT team of only sprinters, and chooses to focus on someone else in the Tour.
Or, I guess Gaviria only became a good sprinter this year when he was finally put on the startlist for the Tour.
This would be correct if it was 1512 and Viviani was forced to work for Quickstep. Even at his own team he plays second fiddle. A top sprinter would never agree to that, so thanks for proving my point.
 
This year Viviani got the Giro and the Vuelta, while Gaviria got the Tour, maybe next year they'll mix it around.
What are you suggesting Viviani should have done? Started an in-team conflict because he wasn't allowed to ride the Tour?
 
Sep 20, 2011
1,651
0
0
Re:

RedheadDane said:
This year Viviani got the Giro and the Vuelta, while Gaviria got the Tour, maybe next year they'll mix it around.
What are you suggesting Viviani should have done? Started an in-team conflict because he wasn't allowed to ride the Tour?
Not signing for a team where you know you are gonna play second fiddle to another sprinter maybe? This is getting a little embarassing...
 
What are you on about? Viviani rode the races he wanted to contest. He valued his home GT more than LeTour this year. He's not playing 2nd fiddle to Gaviria.

He beat every single 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier sprinter repeatedly this year.


Can you back up your statement that Viviani is notorious for dodging races like I asked?
 
Re: Re:

Der Effe said:
RedheadDane said:
This year Viviani got the Giro and the Vuelta, while Gaviria got the Tour, maybe next year they'll mix it around.
What are you suggesting Viviani should have done? Started an in-team conflict because he wasn't allowed to ride the Tour?
Not signing for a team where you know you are gonna play second fiddle to another sprinter maybe? This is getting a little embarassing...
Being the guy for your home GT isn't playing second fiddle. Being the guy for the Giro isn't playing second fiddle.
Viviani specifically signed with Quickstep because he knew he would be allowed to focus on the Giro.
 
I think it's worth a mention that the glorious Monkey Town Continental Team won the 1.1 rated Tacx Pro Classic today. Peter Schulting was the victor. Earlier in the year, they had also won the GP Jean-Pierre Monséré through André Looij.
 
Re:

tobydawq said:
I think it's worth a mention that the glorious Monkey Town Continental Team won the 1.1 rated Tacx Pro Classic today. Peter Schulting was the victor. Earlier in the year, they had also won the GP Jean-Pierre Monséré through André Looij.
Tacx pro classic is a fun race. True wind/echelon race.
 
Re: Re:

Der Effe said:
HelloDolly said:
Der Effe said:
Watching the Tour of Turkey and even though last year was even worse, this race just sucks. It’s 5 stages that are won by practically the same second-tier sprinter and one uphill finish which is just riding en group until Ullissi starts sprinting with 400m to go. Why is this, and every irrelevant Belgian one-day race for that matter, WorldTour and all the beautiful fall classics in Italy are not?
Sam Bennett and Gaviria are not 2nd tier sprinters

Plus this race also gives a platfrom for Basque and other pro conti riders to shine

The Italian classics are the Italian classics...watch them if that is all you like ......Tour of Turkey is different

The number of half ars**d moaners on here that complain about everything is just painful

If you don't like don't watch but for me I am glad not all races are the same nor do I have an inflated sense of knowing best while calling for all races to be the same ...a slog out between Valverde and Pinot , etc :rolleyes:
Cool story, but stopped reading after you said Bennett isn’t a second-tier sprinter.

OMFG :lol:

So Mr Know it all

1.Sam Bennett is not a top sprinter ? You probably still think Cipollini is top ...no idea that sprinters improve year on year and Bennett is class

2. A Basque rider won Tour of Turkey ...and it was a race that allowed a rider like Prades to shine

Go back to your dark room and moan to yourself .....
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY