Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 20, 2011
1,651
0
0
Stop being so ignorant please.

Sam Bennett: “The reason I am so succesful at this race is its place on the calendar”. A top sprinter would say this about the Tour de France, tongue-in-cheek obviously, be to stir things up a little, not about the Tour de Erdogan.

Prades winning this race is amazing though, they had an incredible season. Let’s hope Intxausti gets back to his old ways again next season.
 
Der Effe


Have you never heard of humility...Bennett has it
He is a top sprinter even if he does suffer from health issues during the year
I will leave it as its like arguing with a lump of wood
Let the years to come show you the error of your limited views
 
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Max Rockatansky said:
tobydawq said:
Prades wins the race on a count-back.
I would rank Lutsenko's victory higher and give him the overall. Just my opinion on that.
Personally I would like to see stage victories used as the first tie breaker, then countback.
Agreed. But on this occasion they knew the rules before starting the stage and Prades risked his neck for the bonus seconds as all around him fell, so well done to him.
 
roundabout is talking about the TT. Back as a neo-pro.

For the record, in each of the last 5 seasons Porte hasn't raced more than 2 races after the Tour.
And in all those years he has DNFed all of them except a 73rd at CSS and an 84th at the Vuelta. So yeah, I can see Valv.Piti's point as well.
 
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Max Rockatansky said:
tobydawq said:
Prades wins the race on a count-back.
I would rank Lutsenko's victory higher and give him the overall. Just my opinion on that.
Personally I would like to see stage victories used as the first tie breaker, then countback.
Agreed. But on this occasion they knew the rules before starting the stage and Prades risked his neck for the bonus seconds as all around him fell, so well done to him.
Oh, of course, we can't retro-fit the results after all they knew the rules going in, which is why Prades took those risks for the bonus seconds. We can only remember Garzelli in 2010's Tirreno-Adriatico, stealing the jersey on the last day on countback after getting enough bonus seconds to draw level with Scarponi similarly.
 
"Stealing" feels like the right word. Scarponi was riding injured, just trying to hold on through the last three stages and it didn't feel right for Garzelli to do that when Scarponi was too hurt to compete.

Still, with Garzelli being so quick in a sprint, it was always the likely outcome. What I remember as bizarre is that at both intermediate sprints Garzelli could've taken a lone GC lead but didn't because each time he was beaten by.....his own team's sprinters. Baffling.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
yaco said:
Mitchelton Scott win Hammer HK and the overall series - Bad day for Richie Porte - He was late for the start and was dropped 2kms into the TTT.
Porte gonna Porte
Thats so typical Porte, so fckn typical. Has this guy ever done anything of note from August?
I am enjoying Tapas with my wife 200 metres from the start/finish line - Just as we hear the start gun go off, we see Porte brush past us with an official pushing through the crowd - By the time Porte got to the start he was already a long way behind so played no part in the sprint phase of Hammer HK - Then he was dropped after 2kms of the TTT - Will he get through more than one stage of Guangxi.
 
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Max Rockatansky said:
tobydawq said:
Prades wins the race on a count-back.
I would rank Lutsenko's victory higher and give him the overall. Just my opinion on that.
Personally I would like to see stage victories used as the first tie breaker, then countback.
Agreed. But on this occasion they knew the rules before starting the stage and Prades risked his neck for the bonus seconds as all around him fell, so well done to him.
yeah, and not only today - Lutsenko basically lost it by coming 45th yesterday, although he knew it could come back to countback. When someone like Fabbro comes 16th and Guerreiro 13th, you'd think about the same should have been possible for Lutsenko (14th would have been enough to win the overall)
 
I’m already suffering end of season withdrawal, so I watched the last 3km of the Istanbul stage again. The two things I noticed the second time around:

1) Pelucchi and Postlberger put in excellent work to assist Bennett’s attack. Pelucchi hit the front in the run up to the corner before the rise where Bennett went and he ripped the legs off people, really stringing out everyone behind Bora. Then Postlberger positioned himself in between Bennett and the initial chase, increasing Bennett’s starting gap. They are a well drilled team. I understand that Pelucchi is leaving, as he should given that he will never get a chance to sprint again where he is. Anyone know if he has signed anywhere?

2) There was a great shot of the finish, where Bennett is in the foreground celebrating and relaxing while Prades is in the background grimacing like he’s trying to break his own teeth. The dude turned himself inside out for those bonus seconds. Chapeau to him for his season. It’s not just that he won the Tour’s of Turkey and Norway. The number of other races he did well in is remarkable for a PCT rider. Sign him up somebody!
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I’m already suffering end of season withdrawal, so I watched the last 3km of the Istanbul stage again. The two things I noticed the second time around:

1) Pelucchi and Postlberger put in excellent work to assist Bennett’s attack. Pelucchi hit the front in the run up to the corner before the rise where Bennett went and he ripped the legs off people, really stringing out everyone behind Bora. Then Postlberger positioned himself in between Bennett and the initial chase, increasing Bennett’s starting gap. They are a well drilled team. I understand that Pelucchi is leaving, as he should given that he will never get a chance to sprint again where he is. Anyone know if he has signed anywhere?

2) There was a great shot of the finish, where Bennett is in the foreground celebrating and relaxing while Prades is in the background grimacing like he’s trying to break his own teeth. The dude turned himself inside out for those bonus seconds. Chapeau to him for his season. It’s not just that he won the Tour’s of Turkey and Norway. The number of other races he did well in is remarkable for a PCT rider. Sign him up somebody!
Rumour has it that he's gonna sign with Scinto (Wilier will no longer be their sponsor).
 
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I understand that Pelucchi is leaving, as he should given that he will never get a chance to sprint again where he is. Anyone know if he has signed anywhere?
no, there were some rumors about him replacing Mareczko at Wilier (or whatever the name will be next year), but the other day he said that he'd be still looking for a new team - and it didn't sound too promising
 
Re: Re:

search said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
I understand that Pelucchi is leaving, as he should given that he will never get a chance to sprint again where he is. Anyone know if he has signed anywhere?
no, there were some rumors about him replacing Mareczko at Wilier (or whatever the name will be next year), but the other day he said that he'd be still looking for a new team - and it didn't sound too promising
I am surprised if he’s having difficulty finding a team. I know that times are tough for sprinters who just don’t quite have top tier speed. We are in an era when there are more very fast sprinters than ever before. But Pelucchi is both good enough to pick up the odd win and also a good domestique (as shown today).
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Der Effe said:
RedheadDane said:
This year Viviani got the Giro and the Vuelta, while Gaviria got the Tour, maybe next year they'll mix it around.
What are you suggesting Viviani should have done? Started an in-team conflict because he wasn't allowed to ride the Tour?
Not signing for a team where you know you are gonna play second fiddle to another sprinter maybe? This is getting a little embarassing...
Being the guy for your home GT isn't playing second fiddle. Being the guy for the Giro isn't playing second fiddle.
Viviani specifically signed with Quickstep because he knew he would be allowed to focus on the Giro.
I definitely wouldn't say he's playing second fiddle, but I'm sure it was understood going in that Gaviria was their #1 sprinter and if they did both want to do the same race, Gav would get first dibs.

And I don't quite consider Bennett to be a top tier sprinter just yet, despite the Giro wins. I do feel like he's on the cusp, though.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY