• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What if there is no legal way for you to watch it?
Then I follow it in any number of ways. Lots of races have twitter feeds now. Sometimes Cyclingnews has a ticker (though that's rare for races I don't have access to). And of course I read race reports in various venues, watch highlights various places (this is especially true of the French Cup--the organizers there have a YouTube channel--or, as will be the case this week, on GCN). It beats the old days when you had to read about even the biggest non-GT races in magazines that were months out of date.

Or to sum up, if there's no legal way for me to watch it, I don't watch it. (I have, in the past, made the mistake of watching races on services I thought were legit but which turned out not to be--that was true early on last year of the French streaming service, L'Equipe, for example--I wrote L'Equipe and asked them if there was a way to subscribe from the US and they said "No way, buddy!" Well, they said "non," but the tone was "no way, buddy.")

VPNs are of at best dubious legality, and require you to basically lie. I'm always surprised when I see one of those "How to Watch Race X" articles on the main site here and it includes links to some VPN service that is obviously paying for what's essentially an "advertorial."

It looks like I'm going to miss out on Algarve (which I've always wanted to see, I love Portugal but have never been south of Lisbon) and Andalucia this week (though I gather GCN is going to have highlights of at least one of those via their partnership with Eurosport). The only upcoming race that really makes me sad to miss is Kuurne-Bruxeelles-Kuurne, which was on FloBikes last year but isn't this year for some reason. Maybe GCN will have it, they're terrible about announcing their road calendar more than a week or so in advance.

Then I follow it in any number of ways. Lots of races have twitter feeds now. Sometimes Cyclingnews has a ticker (though that's rare for races I don't have access to). And of course I read race reports in various venues, watch highlights various places (this is especially true of the French Cup--the organizers there have a YouTube channel--or, as will be the case this week, on GCN). It beats the old days when you had to read about even the biggest non-GT races in magazines that were months out of date.

Or to sum up, if there's no legal way for me to watch it, I don't watch it. (I have, in the past, made the mistake of watching races on services I thought were legit but which turned out not to be--that was true early on last year of the French streaming service, L'Equipe, for example--I wrote L'Equipe and asked them if there was a way to subscribe from the US and they said "No way, buddy!" Well, they said "non," but the tone was "no way, buddy.")

VPNs are of at best dubious legality, and require you to basically lie. I'm always surprised when I see one of those "How to Watch Race X" articles on the main site here and it includes links to some VPN service that is obviously paying for what's essentially an "advertorial."

It looks like I'm going to miss out on Algarve (which I've always wanted to see, I love Portugal but have never been south of Lisbon) and Andalucia this week (though I gather GCN is going to have highlights of at least one of those via their partnership with Eurosport). The only upcoming race that really makes me sad to miss is Kuurne-Bruxeelles-Kuurne, which was on FloBikes last year but isn't this year for some reason. Maybe GCN will have it, they're terrible about announcing their road calendar more than a week or so in advance.
As noble as it may be, i couldn't do it. If there is no way to legally watch it in your region, that also means that streaming it illegally, is not hurting any copyrights holders in a financial way. They wouldn't be getting any money from you anyhow.

Reactions: Koronin
As noble as it may be, i couldn't do it. If there is no way to legally watch it in your region, that also means that streaming it illegally, is not hurting any copyrights holders in a financial way. They wouldn't be getting any money from you anyhow.
That's a common enough argument no matter what kind of copyrights are involved (films and television shows, video games, books, etc.). It doesn't really do it for me. I'm a professional writer, and copyrights are how I make my living. Thus, my policy on not violating them is comprehensive.

That's a common enough argument no matter what kind of copyrights are involved (films and television shows, video games, books, etc.). It doesn't really do it for me. I'm a professional writer, and copyrights are how I make my living. Thus, my policy on not violating them is comprehensive.
For a professional writer, musician, movies etc, it's different imho. It doesn't matter when you read a book or watch a movie. But this is a live event. The appeal greatly diminishes the moment the actual event has passed. It's not like the copyright holders will broadcast the 2020 race somewhere in 2022, when they think they can make more money from it. So you are basically just punishing yourself. The copyright holders will not benefit from your abstinence. Not now, not ever.

For a professional writer, musician, movies etc, it's different imho. It doesn't matter when you read a book or watch a movie. But this is a live event. The appeal greatly diminishes the moment the actual event has passed. It's not like the copyright holders will broadcast the 2020 race somewhere in 2022, when they think they can make more money from it. So you are basically just punishing yourself. The copyright holders will not benefit from your abstinence. Not now, not ever.
That's a logical point of view (as is to be expected from you), but I believe that I benefit from it.

I think of those winning titles last year, only Mørkøv had any kind of help.
And of course Archbold('s mullet) was flying solo this year as well.

Many of the riders in the NZ national race were on their own. The only one who had a team was Aaron Gate with 9 Blackspoke team mates but then the solo guys cashed in on Gate's team riding the front of the peloton. Archbold and Kennett (St George Continental Team) followed until the last 30km then emerged at the front to do work in the chase after Bennett. George Bennett had one Jumbo Vizma U23 team mate who did a lot of disrupting in the lapping in the front of the chase group, but Archbold was just too strong at the end chasing Bennett down and beating him in the sprint with Kennett beating Gate in the sprint for third. They were the best four riders with Dion Smith finishing 6th.

Stage 1, Tour du Rwanda:
Yevgeniy Fedorov (Vino) survives from the early break and wins on top of the final climb (1 km @ 10 %). Henok Mulubrhan (Eritrea) first of the bunch, 3 seconds ahead of Biniyam Ghirmay (Nippo-Delko). Stage Top3 are all 20 or younger.

Restrepo won the third stage of Tour du Rwanda in a two-up sprint against Ghirmay, wo takes the GC lead. Mulubrhan and Tesfatsion get 3rd and 4th for another strong result of Eritrea's U21 crew. It was a medium mountain stage (highest point at a lofty 2560 m), last climb around 6 km @ 6 %.

Yesterday's stage was won by 21 y/o Ethiopian Mulu Hailemichael, also riding for Nippo-Delko.

Tesfatsion wins the stage - and takes yellow - in Rwanda.

Unfortunately for Kent, he was the not main guy today.
Apparently every gc team but Nippo-Delko had a rider in the breakaway, so they were forced to do all the work.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Restrepo wins his 2nd stage in Rwanda and his 4th of the season (2 more in Táchira). Hard to describe his rider profile. Not a climber, not a sprinter, not a puncheur. Doesn't particularly excel in long stages. Probably someone that can pass medium mountains with a good kick. Let's see what he can do this year against better rivals. He's only 25.

TRENDING THREADS