• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
pastronef said:
LaFlorecita said:
Prades won in Tour de la Provence, Izagirre is the new leader. FDJ finished 7th, 8th and 9th in a 9 man group with Pinot, Gaudu and Molard :eek:

Astana on a roll
1-2-3-6 in Murcia
Bilbao-Fraile-Lulu and 6th Birdsong

One - that one person being me - could argue that maybe the Astana-Spaniards were being… maybe a little bit greedy.

If Valverde would have bothered to have sprinted he would have finished 2nd and then it wouldn't have been an all Astana podium.

Koronin said:
RedheadDane said:
pastronef said:
LaFlorecita said:
Prades won in Tour de la Provence, Izagirre is the new leader. FDJ finished 7th, 8th and 9th in a 9 man group with Pinot, Gaudu and Molard :eek:

Astana on a roll
1-2-3-6 in Murcia

One - that one person being me - could argue that maybe the Astana-Spaniards were being… maybe a little bit greedy.

If Valverde would have bothered to have sprinted he would have finished 2nd and then it wouldn't have been an all Astana podium.

Well, he did sprint, he just had to go from far to not let Bilbao get too much time.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
RedheadDane said:
pastronef said:
LaFlorecita said:

Astana on a roll
1-2-3-6 in Murcia

Well, he did sprint, he just had to go from far to not let Bilbao get too much time.

At the finish he wasn't sprinting and he looked very disinterested, which isn't normal.

Koronin said:
Blanco said:
He looked spent at the finish, not disinterested, because he went much earlier after Bilbao...

He may well have been spent, but he still looked disinterested.

How could you see that on the very low quality pictures? He went long and couldn't keep up the sprint. He was probably annoyed to have been put in a one against four situation, and I must say things look bleak for tomorrow. He is going to have to invent something if he is to win this race now.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Blanco said:
He looked spent at the finish, not disinterested, because he went much earlier after Bilbao...

How could you see that on the very low quality pictures? He went long and couldn't keep up the sprint. He was probably annoyed to have been put in a one against four situation, and I must say things look bleak for tomorrow. He is going to have to invent something if he is to win this race now.

He could still win tomorrow, but at this point it's really going to depend on what his mentality is going into it.

One other note is that Movistar its self has only posted the one comment about the finish of this race. They've posted a bunch about the other races they were in, but not this one.

Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Blanco said:

He could still win tomorrow, but at this point it's really going to depend on what his mentality is going into it.

One other note is that Movistar its self has only posted the one comment about the finish of this race. They've posted a bunch about the other races they were in, but not this one.

It's really also going to depend on Astana's strength in numbers.

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Blanco said:

It's really also going to depend on Astana's strength in numbers.

It will, although I'd be a bit surprised if they have as many riders tomorrow as they did today. However, it's likely they will have strength in numbers. Unfortunately it also shows how weak of a team Movistar actually has.

Re:

yaco said:
Today's stage result at Murcia reflects on MoviStar's limited squad - At the same time, Astana flies in these early season hillier stages.

Astana does, however, today is much more a reflection on how poor Movistar's team is and has gotten over the past three years as the vast majority of their top domestiques have left the team for one reason or another. When you have domestiques leaving for Pro Conti teams, there is an issue that really needs to be addressed.

Re:

del1962 said:
Movistar have riders in two other races so there quad is stretched at the moment

They do, however the majority of those riders wouldn't have been at Murcia anyway. The ONLY one who may have been who's racing somewhere else is Soler. However, I don't think he's on very good form right now. That still doesn't mean they aren't worse than they were 3 years ago because they really haven't replaced most of those good domestiques with the same quality.

Re:

del1962 said:
Movistar have riders in two other races so there quad is stretched at the moment

Astana have riders in the same races. They trounced everybody in Murcia, Gorka is leading the race in Provence and Supermán is vying for victory in San Luis. Tomorrow, Lutsenko will try to defend his Oman victory while Cort is the favourite to win a couple of stages.

Actually, this shouldn't be held against Movistar, it just shows that Astana have a really, really good squad and Movistar really don't.

Oh, and the guy who just won Valencia for Astana is taking a break this week.

tobydawq said:
del1962 said:

Astana have riders in the same races. They trounced everybody in Murcia, Gorka is leading the race in Provence and Supermán is vying for victory in San Luis. Tomorrow, Lutsenko will try to defend his Oman victory while Cort is the favourite to win a couple of stages.

Actually, this shouldn't be held against Movistar, it just shows that Astana have a really, really good squad and Movistar really don't.

Oh, and the guy who just won Valencia for Astana is taking a break this week.

Yeah, Astana does have a very good team. But it exaggerates the drop in quality of riders Movistar currently has vs what they had just 3 years ago.

Re:

Btw...

Koronin said:
La Vuelta a Murcia starts tomorrow and for the first time in about a decade it will be a stage race again instead of a one day race. Granted it will only have two stages, but they were able to get the funding to expand it to a two race for this year. Also they have said this is the first time in the history of the race that they will have the reigning World Champion racing it.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was seriously wondering if I was going crazy, and had somehow managed to forget/not notice that it was a stage race last year...

TRENDING THREADS