• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2024 edition

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This analogy doesn’t really work, because those teams don’t sign up for a new competition each week.

I know, I know. Football analogies never really work on cycling. But now that there is a ranking, I don't think you should fault a team for going for first place.

Although, I would like if they could revert back to the system where it was only 10 riders' points that counted.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I know, I know. Football analogies never really work on cycling. But now that there is a ranking, I don't think you should fault a team for going for first place.

Although, I would like if they could revert back to the system where it was only 10 riders' points that counted.
I mean, I don’t fault them for doing is. The question is just: why? I can’t think of a single, non-UAE soul caring about coming 1st in the UCI Ranking.

Alentejo should finish in about 10 minutes. I am fully behind Tomas Silva this week, I think Caja got a splendid deal there.
Yxaxieq.png

Too easy.

I mean, I don’t fault them for doing is. The question is just: why? I can’t think of a single, non-UAE soul caring about coming 1st in the UCI Ranking.
I'm sure the race organizers don't mind having a few star names show up to their small-ish race. Just for that reason, I can't criticize UAE for what they're doing. Would be better if the good riders were more equally spread among the teams of course, but with that situation being what it is, at least UAE bring some publicity to many races, not just the big ones.

I'm sure the race organizers don't mind having a few star names show up to their small-ish race. Just for that reason, I can't criticize UAE for what they're doing. Would be better if the good riders were more equally spread among the teams of course, but with that situation being what it is, at least UAE bring some publicity to many races, not just the big ones.
With this I don't disagree either, but I very much doubt that is part of their reasoning to send these riders to these sorts of races. They'd send Hirschi to Sobibor and the Gulag if there were some UCI points to be earned.

Yeah, I'm under no illusion that they have a selfless vision of bringing publicity to struggling races. :D
it's on old habbit from the Lampre days to do all those Italian races, to be fair. And they obviously are really happy about it, as the organizer of the Giro Calabria just recently expressed in an interview.

That race is particularly struggling this year, by the way. When they brought it back in 2023, the idea was to attract teams coming straight from Sicily. That didn't really work out last year already, but even less so now with the Giro di Sicilia getting moved 700km to the north. UAE will still come.

That was horrible for like 50% of the riders in the peloton. That rule literally costed riders pro contracts.

it's on old habbit from the Lampre days to do all those Italian races, to be fair. And they obviously are really happy about it, as the organizer of the Giro Calabria just recently expressed in an interview.

Correct they always have been at all these Italian races, so I think this race is a pretty bad example. But they have been doing way more races than before, they seem to be literally everywhere. They are behind Arkea and Cofidis (which is insane as they don't have a devo squad) the team with the most amount of races. This also means that a lot of their riders have a lot of racedays, which isn't always the best thing to prepare for races that actually matter.