• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if a WT team will try to poach Ryan from the Jumbo development team for 2023, seeing that he is at WT level.

yeah, if you are 20 and come fourth at avenir and then immediately after you win a stage of your first race moonlighting with a WT team from their development squad, you are a pretty obvious WT level guy. You can’t know how much further any talent will develop. Maybe he never improves a huge amount, but even in a worst case scenario we know some kid like that will be a decent WT pro barring injury.

Presumably Jumbo could sign him as a neopro themselves. He must be a bottom third of their roster rider right now, but he’s definitely not going to be the worst, has a big potential upside and he’s come up through their development system. If you are going to go to the trouble of funding and running a development squad, hopefully you plan to hold on to its best products. Then again, I’m just some clown on the internet.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Recently in Turul Tomaniei 2.1, Bike Aid‘s Carstensen had an encounter with two bears. Luckily they did not attack and not kill/eat him…

Crazy story, but such things happen in some parts of the world. It can happen in Romania, and has yet caused deaths…

If the bears would have attacked Carstensen, he could have died, because he probably had no armed people with him.

Recently in Turul Tomaniei 2.1, Bike Aid‘s Carstensen had an encounter with two bears. Luckily they did not attack and not kill/eat him…

Crazy story, but such things happen in some parts of the world. It can happen in Romania, and has yet caused deaths…

If the bears would have attacked Carstensen, he could have died, because he probably had no armed people with him.
Not only in Romania, in the last few years I've heared more than one story of cyclists getting chased by Wolves in the Veneto region (one near Belluno, one in the Colli Euganei and there was some talk about one getting chased on the Giau descent)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sounds scary. Do you have a link to the story?

Sounds scary. Do you have a link to the story?
he mentioned that he saw two bears in the Radsport-News article about Bike Aid at the Tour of Romania - but in a much less dramatic way.

Romania is the country with the biggest population of bears in Europe, so of course, occasionally you get to see some. Last year there was also one at the Sibiu Tour (on the way back from Balea Lac, not during the stage), and when I was at the Tour of Romania a couple of years back, the hotels in Poiana Brașov recommended not to walk around alone in the dark because of bears in the area.

Last edited:
yeah, if you are 20 and come fourth at avenir and then immediately after you win a stage of your first race moonlighting with a WT team from their development squad, you are a pretty obvious WT level guy. You can’t know how much further any talent will develop. Maybe he never improves a huge amount, but even in a worst case scenario we know some kid like that will be a decent WT pro barring injury.

Presumably Jumbo could sign him as a neopro themselves. He must be a bottom third of their roster rider right now, but he’s definitely not going to be the worst, has a big potential upside and he’s come up through their development system. If you are going to go to the trouble of funding and running a development squad, hopefully you plan to hold on to its best products. Then again, I’m just some clown on the internet.
Sataune-Mittet seems out of shape here but I believe its even better (at least more al rounder as a GC rider but similar in climbing).
In any case, they are both WT material for 2023, the only reason I can think of to keep them for another year in the development team is the lack of space for them due to Jumbo's super squad for next year.
In fact, for lower level WT teams even Lars Boven, Loe Van Belle and Per Strand Hagenes would be ready to make the next step.

Morten Hulgaard might not be one of the most talented riders in the world, but I still think it's a bit of a shame that he hasn't been offered a new contract by Uno-X or any other teams.

It looks like Skjelmose will finally get his first pro win.
But for sure one of the best riders in that team, guess he's the wrong nationality. Did he lose time due to rain?

Also it looked like Vauqelin was late for the start.

• Wow