• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races thread 2022

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Utah was actually a good race with really good routes.
Yes, Utah really stood alone against the other big American stage races. It didn't pretend to be anything it wasn't, it just provided a good spectacle at its level, attracting a solid and competitive field for a 2.1 race and producing some good and balanced routes with tough mountain stages that had the climbs in meaningful places and the stages actually delivered. It didn't go the ten extra miles in self-aggrandising hype, meaning it could always at least deliver in line with expectations and frequently exceed them.

Except in 2018, unfortunately. That edition was an unmitigated disaster best wiped from history.

Yes, Utah really stood alone against the other big American stage races. It didn't pretend to be anything it wasn't, it just provided a good spectacle at its level, attracting a solid and competitive field for a 2.1 race and producing some good and balanced routes with tough mountain stages that had the climbs in meaningful places and the stages actually delivered. It didn't go the ten extra miles in self-aggrandising hype, meaning it could always at least deliver in line with expectations and frequently exceed them.

Except in 2018, unfortunately. That edition was an unmitigated disaster best wiped from history.
Personally, 2018 was the best, though I can tell some bias is clouding the vision.

Nah, he didn't ride a false pace, he actually attacked on all the mountain stages and put on a show, nothing like the defensive job that he often has in the Jumbo train. One can dislike the later, but the 2018 Tour of Utah was a demonstration of panache and stylish climbing.

Nah, he didn't ride a false pace, he actually attacked on all the mountain stages and put on a show, nothing like the defensive job that he often has in the Jumbo train. One can dislike the later, but the 2018 Tour of Utah was a demonstration of panache and stylish climbing.
If you go back to the end of 2018 you will actually find me hailing it as one of the climbing performances of the year.

But in light of subsequent events it should now be viewed with still images, slowed down footage and sepiaed out photos and tense minimal music, like news reports showing the last remaining happy footage before terrible events happen.

If you go back to the end of 2018 you will actually find me hailing it as one of the climbing performances of the year.

But in light of subsequent events it should now be viewed with still images, slowed down footage and sepiaed out photos and tense minimal music, like news reports showing the last remaining happy footage before terrible events happen.
Ah, you mean like those imagies of European Royals meeting for the last time before WWI.

Yeah, I remember you praising him back then, so I was surprised. But we can all agree that the Tour of Utah was a really nice race.

Reactions: firefly3323
Turul Romaniei (Tour of Romania), one of the least known .1 races on the calendar is starting today. It is possibly the last chance for Óscar Sevilla to lose to an older rider as Davide Rebellin is riding one of his last races.
The race has four potential sprints, a prologue and a stage with a mountain in the middle. Caja Rural‘s team looks the strongest to me.

Reactions: Sandisfan
And the sexiest man in the pro peloton just won a race!

Turul Romaniei 2022 Stage 1 results (procyclingstats.com)
Black Spoke are having a cracking season, sitting 25th on the UCI rankings above teams who have more funding. Also being a team made up of 15 NZ riders and one adopted New Zealander is a sight to see.

Edit: While Tom (sexy) Sexton has a sexy sexiness name I wouldn’t say he’s the sexiest fella in the pelo, but I guess that’s open to interpretation.

Black Spoke are having a cracking season, sitting 25th on the UCI rankings above teams who have more funding. Also being a team made up of 15 NZ riders and one adopted New Zealander is a sight to see.
And it's not like they're just stat padding themselves to a higher ranking in select, distant races. They are in Europe competing against ProTour and even WorldTour teams, albeit the latter of course didn't use even close to their best line-up, but still. Looking very much forward to their entrance into the actual pro peloton next year, as they are likely going to be PCT. Great development for New Zealand cycling.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
And it's not like they're just stat padding themselves to a higher ranking in select, distant races. They are in Europe competing against ProTour and even WorldTour teams, albeit the latter of course didn't use even close to their best line-up, but still. Looking very much forward to their entrance into the actual pro peloton next year, as they are likely going to be PCT. Great development for New Zealand cycling.

If only NZ Federation would support their riders by participating in the World's - It's a joke they don't have funds to send their team on a short plane ride.

• Sad

TRENDING THREADS